Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strength Training

So, I'm wondering if I should start incorporating strength training into my workouts.

I've been focusing so far pretty much with cardio....I walk, ride my bike, swim laps.

I'm just not sure where to start. Should I pay for a personal trainer for a couple sessions?

How did you guys know where to start and what to do? And, do you find that strength training improves the loose skin issue??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

i started lifting prolly 2 months out. i still do cardio every time i work out but now i do weights as well. squats, crunches, arms exercises. i feel it's helped with not only loose skin but the shape of my body is different when i work out than it was when i lost weight by just starving a few years back. i am six months out.

So, I'm wondering if I should start incorporating strength training into my workouts.

I've been focusing so far pretty much with cardio....I walk, ride my bike, swim laps.

I'm just not sure where to start. Should I pay for a personal trainer for a couple sessions?

How did you guys know where to start and what to do? And, do you find that strength training improves the loose skin issue??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Since you swim laps, you might want to try some Water weights. I have a pair of Dumbbells I use in my pool at home. The wellness center where I swim and take aerobics classes has a variety. Some of the aqua classes specifically use them. A class is a great way to learn to use them.

Whether you are in or out of the Water it would be worth it to get someone to show you proper form. Either a physical trainer or class instructor would be a great resource.

The New Rules of Lifting books (you can find on Amazon) are all really good. The authors just came out with a new one late last year that might be a good start. These guys know their stuff!

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Workout-Programs-Metabolism-Strength/dp/1583335757/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460412074&sr=1-6&keywords=the+new+rules+of+lifting+books

ill be 1 year post surgery on the 23rd of april. went from 472 to currently 243. I lift 5 days a week and in the last 3 months have started power lifting. it has helped me with skin issues tremendously! now ill still probably end up need some skin removed in my stomach area and maybe inner thighs but my arms chest and legs have responded well! check out my gallery if you get a chance! good luck!

@@rydersmama, yes to strength training. It's good for so much, including your bones. Work with a trainer a couple three times and, then when you're ready to take it up a notch, you can have another session. To avoid injuring yourself, there are a number of strength exercises that shouldn't be done by beginners or people who have certain muscles not yet developed. A good trainer will advise you.

You'll find lots of online info that will answer questions and raise new, important ones as you go along. YOu can try sparkpeople.com and/or livestrong.com, just two of the sources. YOu may find info here in BP. You'll also find info on how to choose the right trainer in a number of places. Keep in mind that not all trainers are created equal. Also keep in mind that, if you have a particular physical concern, you want someone who is familiar with the condition.

I LOVE strength training. I was doing cardio on my own before joining a training gym and it's transformed my life. I also notice that my skin has firmed up and my loss has increased significantly (which makes sense because that bit of extra lean muscle mass burns calories throughout the day.)

I have orthopedic issues, so if form is one of your concerns like it is to me, I highly recommend a trainer. They can really help with injury prevention as well as keeping it interesting.

If you start lifting at home, I'd invest in 5 lb dumbbells, 10 lb dumbbells, a 15-20 lb padded weight bar, and some grip gloves (I have Valeo gloves and they help so much!) That's enough for most "beginners" to work with. And if you're not ready to lift yet, you can do some knee lift punches with the weights and some squats with the weight bar to elevate what you're already doing. :)

Good luck!!!