Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone tell me if I can have regular coffee and regular sugar in it? I've been sticking to a very low carb low sugar diet and in the mornings I feel like I need a pick me up. Can I have my regular coffee in the morning as long as I count it in my calories?

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

coffee is ok my nut says no more then 8oz and no sugar

I have 2-3 cups of regular coffee a day but with artificial sweetener and my surgeon is good with that (but they do prefer 2 and if possible, decaffeinated).

Follow your specific recommendations.

I also use a straw on rare occasions.

(BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP)

THIS IS THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE.

A SEVERE S*** STORM IS HEADING THIS WAY.

SOMEBODY IS GOING TO FLIP OUT AT 2-3 CUPS OF REGULAR coffee AND THE USE OF A STRAW AFTER THE FINAL POST BARIATRIC WLS DIET PHASE.

PLEASE SEEK SHELTER UNTIL THIS PASSES.

(BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP)

I started drinking coffee at 3-4 weeks. I have 3-4 cups a week.

Edited by Christinamo7

How far out from surgery are you? I wasn't allowed regular coffee until 30 days post-op and then it had to be heavily diluted with milk/cream. I wouldn't waste calories on regular sugar, but that's really up to you.

I drink a cup every morning with vanilla Creamer. It helps me poop! ☕️

I was never given any restrictions on coffee, it makes up a sizable chunk of my daily Fluid intake. I've had no problems with it. A little Splenda and dry creamer & on with the day.

My surgeon says no caffeinated beverages for life. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do like my ice tea. I try to get decaffeinated whenever possible, but that is pretty hard to find at restaurants. I do stay away from sugar however.

I waited 4 months. Now I have 2 black cups in the morning an frequently an afternoon ice coffee with a little half and half and Splenda. No problems.

I've had my morning coffee with 1/2 & 1/2 every morning and every afternoon, I have a cup of Earl Grey tea. I have done so since the day I got home from the hospital. My surgeon and I had that conversation at the very start of my pre-op routine.

That is one reason why I keep trying to persuade folks to be 100% honest and upfront with their surgeons. When the entire team is on reading from the same play book, the chance of success is much higher. coffee was something I knew I would not be willing to give up, so together we worked out a program that compensated for it.

For every cup of coffee/tea, I add equal amount of Water to my daily intake.

Ask and discuss your concerns with your bariatric team.

Go Team!!