Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Date in June 27 for Dr Illan in Mexico

The beginning. I asked my PCP about Bariatric surgery about six months ago . Since then been researching and reading. I finally called the Group Health Washington Bariatric center. The nurse was nice but told me it would be two years minimum and that I probably wouldn't qualify . My basic plan doesn't cover it anyway.
I'm 57, weigh 250 pounds, 5' 9". I've been up and down with weight my whole life. Done Medifast twice, weight watchers three times, nutrisystem and HMR. All worked until I reached goal and then stopped and went back to my previous ways. Then boom fat again. Been this way forever.

I need a drastic change. I'm ready. All my life I have wanted to be a thin man again as I was as a child. I have dreamed of wearing black pants and white shirts with a skinny tie like all the men wore in the 60s.
I want to be that confident healthy happy man.

I'm going to do it for myself by myself with the love of my husband supporting me.

Many doctors I have found today don't seem to care about helping alleviate pain, if you are fat they always think that's the reason and they are right. But condescension and Tylenol don't take the pain away. I'm done with them and tired of waiting in line for months only to find it's really all on me.

So I'm taking my life in my own hands. I know this surgery is not a panacea and I will have to change my relationship with food, stick up for myself more and not take crap from others as much.

Anyway, I'm beginning.

Haven't heard anything since my call last week but I'm guaranteed the date.

Every change begins with one step.

I'm doing this.

Tom

GOOD FOR YOU TOMMY GOOD FOR YOU I WISH U A GREAT HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YOU!!

Have Your been Talking to Bill Yanez, He is the best !! Good Luck again June will be here soon !!

Thanks for your reply. Yes in talking to Bill Yanez he's great. I'm going through Bariatric Pal Mexico. I'm scared, incredulous and can't stop thinking about it. But I'm moving forward.

Hi Tom: It sounds like we could be peas in a pod--our stats are almost an exact match and I've had the same experience with losing the weight three times just to gain it all back--faster each time. I was ready to opt for Mexico myself but was able to get approved for surgery here in San Francisco. Going under the knife April 28 and can't wait. Maybe we should keep in touch! Best wishes on your journey.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Silver threads I would love to keep in touch! Kaiser Permanente bought out Group Health so I'm hopeful the future here will improve Group Health, which is a good but very strained organization, too few doctors , too many patients. I'm excited about going to Mexico. My husband is Philippino and I'm very comfortable with other countries and cultures.

Another waiting day. Today I'm full of doubts, do I really need to do this? I can go back on another diet like I have before, is this really going to make a difference? Will I be sick the rest of my life? I'm questioning everything. What will I replace all the wonderful food I love with? My life right now is work and food. Can I really become the thi man I long to be?

Yes, you can do this. Another diet won't fix this--you'll work just as hard only to gain it back like we all have before. Look at all the posts from guys about their one regret: universally it is that they waited so long to do this. After the VSG you won't have so many cravings, so much hunger. You'll find other things you enjoy once you feel better! Doubts are human nature but so to is the desire to improve your lot. You said in your original post that you can do this. Keep the faith!

Thanks silver threads that helps. You are right I really want to make a drastic change. There's so much more I can get out of life. That temporary fix from the chips or burger or sweets gives short bliss followed by reflux, pain,shortness of breath, disgust when I look in the mirror. That fat man looking back looks scared and depressed. He feels overwhelmed and a far cry from the confident in charge man I am in my classroom. Thanks for the pick me up tonight!

So funny how things go back and forth on here just like my own mood swings. Feeling determined then very worried then determined again. It seems there will always be obstacles to major changes in our lives and things that scare us. Hell if I wasn't off kilter a bit in my relationship to food I wouldn't be looking at bypass surgery in the first place.

I'm already thinking about what will replace my relationship with food. Relaxing with a little walk or two, being outside on the patio after we get it fixed up. Enjoying a longer walk with the dogs , with Michael. Going to more school events and taking photos , enjoying photography like I used to. Not being focused and obsessed about the next thing I'm going to eat, or how food will be a reward for doing everything.

I'm pretty sure many people on here, like me, never learned to put ourselves, our health, our needs first and always pleasing others with the reward of loads of food, stuffing really, to shove down the frustrations, the anger, the controlling from others, the word No.

Really the stuffing food never comforts that long does it? And after the gorging comes the bloated lead in your stomach, the weariness, the depression.

I really want to change and this time do it for sure!

Hoping the Mexico connection goes well, so far all I have read is positive. A huge part of the reason I went with Dr Illan is the recommendation of this website. Really like Bariatric Pal!

I'm really surprised by the reactions of my family and friends back home in Nebraska. Very supportive and also very understanding of my decision to get treatment in Mexico. A good surprise and one I'm happy with to say the least.

The more I read and research the more I am ready for this big change in my life.

I'm ready for the day when I no longer can't breathe and talk at the same time when walking. Ready for the day when I feel excited and ready for every day!

Hi Tommy!

Congratulations on your decision! I'm a revision lap band to sleeve October 5, 2015.

My daughter Alexandra is scheduled for surgery with Dr. Illian June 6.

I had mine done in the states but she is 17, three months shy of 18. And not only will my insurance not cover it because she's not 18 the hospitals won't do it if I pay cash, if they are board-certified because of their insurance, until she's 18. She'll be a senior in high school next year and really can't take the time off after she turns 18 to get the surgery done. So I'm going to direct her to this thread so she and you and others here on this platform can get to know one another and talk about upcoming life-changing experience.

Hi Catlynk

I'm so glad you chose Dr Illan I have been reading almost every thread on here and have never heard anything but very good things about him. One lady did complain that he was unable to check on her one day in recovery because he had an emergency with another patient! Really??? I think she had nothing to complain about. Speaks well of a doctor that he takes care of patients and doesn't leave that to others.

I'm talking to Dr Illan to decide between a sleeve or RNY due to Gerd I already have.

Let's keep in touch!

Tom