Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Family functions post op

So I have a received a few invitations to family functions which will be taking place in the weeks post op. One baby shower will be about 2/3 weeks post op (if all goes well with insurance). I'm not telling everyone about my surgery. Just my husband, parents, sisters and one aunt. Extended family and friends I plan on not telling. So these parties may be during my liquids phase or mush phase. I'm Italian from New Jersey family functions are based around food. What excuse do I use for not eating at the party. I'm thinking maybe I'll just say I'm on one of those liquid shakes diets. I mean it's not really a lie its just not the complete truth lol anyone have any advice or been threw this?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Lol I hear you. I have 3 weddings this summer. I already told most of my friends about the surgery so they'll know why I'm not really eating

Is it a formal sit-down meal at this baby shower or will it just be Snacks and such? If it's just snacks, you can probably get away with not eating and no one will notice. Two or three weeks post-op you might be on soft foods, depending on your plan so there *might* be something mushy enough for you to eat. Or if it's a dish-to-pass sort of thing, you could make sure whatever dish you bring is something you can eat.

"I'm trying to lose weight and my doctor has me on a strict eating plan, so I can't have that" (true)

"I'm trying to lose weight, so I filled up on super healthy food before I got here so I wouldn't be tempted by that, it looks delicious!" (declining but complimenting the food pusher on the food they made or brought)

"I've been feeling sick to my stomach, you wouldn't want to see the results if I ate that" (possibly true but maybe not the best choice since people will be alarmed that you're spreading something contagious around)

Both parties are formal sit downs at a restaurant the shower may be buffet style, so that will be less awkward then telling the waiter skip me when he comes around asking if you want the chicken or beef I'll prob just order whatever comes with mashed potatoes if I have to order but now that I think of it the last shower I went to at this same place was a buffet style. So maybe that will help me dodge the attention a bit.

"I'm trying to lose weight and my doctor has me on a strict eating plan, so I can't have that" (true)

"I'm trying to lose weight, so I filled up on super healthy food before I got here so I wouldn't be tempted by that, it looks delicious!" (declining but complimenting the food pusher on the food they made or brought)

"I've been feeling sick to my stomach, you wouldn't want to see the results if I ate that" (possibly true but maybe not the best choice since people will be alarmed that you're spreading something contagious around)

This is great. lol it would be funny to see everyone's face in fear of spreading a stomach bug. I think my best bet it prob the strict diet. I mean it's true and in the past I've had cousins on those liquid shake diets (isogenix) and they've skipped solids with only receiving a slight side eye or eye roll from everyone else. Lmao

If it's at a restaurant you can always check with the restaurant ahead of time or talk to the host about your food limitations.

If you are on soft foods and have been cleared for ground meats you should be ok. Soft fish, meatballs, and even Soup can be good choices. If it is at an Italian restaurant you could get a side of meatballs, or other Pasta topping without the Pasta.< /p>

It may sound daunting, but you will get the hang of adapting to your new food guidelines.

I have been thinking about this same situation, we have a large social circle and frequently go out to eat. I have a feeling that Soup will become my new friend when at restaurants for a while.

Another truth is that you've currently got a tricky tummy that is just plain not being very user-friendly at the moment. No implication that you're going to spread anything around, you just need to be careful.

Girrrllll I feel you! I am Italian from New Jersey too and three weeks post op today. I have a baptism next weekend and I'm already planning in my head what's going to happen. I figure I'm going to bring a Protein Shake with me and politely decline the waiter. If it's buffet even better. However, this will be my first time out and about with a large group of people (you know how it is no such thing as small gatherings) so I'm a little nervous about questions that might come my way. Just stay true to yourself and your goal and it will all be ok!

Ohh heyyyy fellow Italian jersey girl lol!!! The struggle is real. the more and more you think about things you realize holy shit every thing we do is revolved around food. It's the cure all for everything. It's the base of happy and sad times, celebrations and mourning. I'm not to concerned about the temptations and such at functions bc I've always been more of a person to "eat with caution" in public anyway but the questions I'm not looking forward to. I'm a pretty straight forward person so not telling the complete truth about this is hard but I just don't really want to put it out there to everyone. People can be so judgy and ain't no body got time for that

I totally feel you. I want to be up front and honest but I'm not quite ready to shout from the rooftop. It's tricky!

Well this California Italian girl tries to get Soup or meatballs. And fools with her food... And no one seems to notice if i don't make a big deal of special food.

Sorry to mention that eating is not half the fun, exciting, entertaining, hours of eating and drinking it previously was. Yet my body thanks me daily for being healthy.

Sigh ... I guess I just can't have it all..... Literally!