Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight with Lap-Band

Hello fellow vets

I am past eight rears with the lap band. I easily got under goal due the band being too tight I now realise. I even lost weight on a cruise!

However, over the last few years my weight fluctuates a lot. I have now regained two thirds. It is due to eating the wrong things. I know the band is filled enough. I am never hungry, but cannot control my head hunger.

I am depressed and feel a failure as I believe I have a marvellous tool.

I am seriously considering having bypass surgery as I am fearful of erosion eventually.

After reading extensively on these forums I get the feeling that bypass surgery might be the best to get to deal with my head hunger issues.

Any thoughts, replies eagerly awaited

The bypass is a great surgery and I think you are very wise to consider it.

That said, no surgery will permanently cure your head hunger issues. To be successful, IMO you need to work on ways to deal with emotional and behavioral issues other than having surgery on your insides. Whether that is therapy, or committing to regularly attend support groups, or even just to start by reading a lot of books on how to get over using food as a source of comfort or entertainment or something like that. Surgery is a great tool but for many of us, it alone is not enough.

Don't feel like a failure. Please don't. Obesity is one of the toughest health problems in the world to face -- it really is -- and medicine and science are just starting to come up with the tools to help us. For many people, the lap band is a step in the right direction (for others, it is just what they need) but not enough. It sounds to me like you worked incredibly hard and were very successful for a long time. Now you are being smart and considering further options. To me that sounds like someone who is determined and tough, not someone who is a failure. Good luck!

Thanks Bufflehead

I guess when we first have surgery we feel it will be the answer forever. I now know by reading stories here what a life time journey, with ups and downs etc as we go. I never envisioned I would be considering another procedure or that people had more than one operation until I read about it here! You are right that I must look at ways to behave differently when I am triggered and have done some reading. Now I must put it into action.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will continue to post on here as I go.

[emoji3][emoji3]

It's really hard. I had the band for 10 years and except for the first few months, my physical hunger was never under control. One thing I learned as a sleever that I didn't know then is that eating low carb - especially eliminating that quick sugars (junk food, fruit juice, fruits) helped so much with hunger. I think it can help with head hunger too, because honestly I can't always tell the difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Very depressed today. Heaviest since surgery and have all the negatives about myself that go with. Must get out of this spot and change up my attitude with a kiwi can do!

Got dressed to go out to dinner and happy with result, so can't be that bad eh? [emoji56][emoji56]

Hi @Gaylene. I'm three years post surgery and am also struggling with maintaining. I've also gone down that path of making poor food choices. While I'd never tell you what to do, I can't help but wonder if instead of having yet another surgery, you need to work on the head hunger that we all deal with after a time. They call the beginning of this process the 'honeymoon' phase and I understand why. When you are losing, it's great. Once you've lost it though..well now comes the hard work of keeping it off.

Might I suggest you talk to the surgeon who banded you and a nutritionist who can help you with food choices? All I'm saying is that if the band has not eroded, or there are no issues with it, why not try working the tool you have instead of switching it out?

I'd be happy to be a 'buddy' with you so we can help each other. If you are interested, feel free to PM me.

Thanks gowalking. I have thought that too, that don't fix what not broke. I am scared of complications with it in the future though.

Had a good night last night.

But.... As tea was being served, I scoffed a fresh white bun. Gee it was good! But then two mouthfuls of lasagne and I realised I was stuck and needed the bathroom urgently! Very embarrassing as it was a family birthday dinner and in front of my new son in law I had to leave the table!

Wouldn't one think that after eight years I would know not to do that?

Where is my head?!

I would love to be your buddy. How do I do a pm?

Sorry this old girl not very computer literate! Xx

Hi Cowgirl,

I am amazed that the band did not control your physical hunger. I remember pre band the feeling that " I have to eat now!"

I don't get that now, so really all my eating is because I know I should, or is because I want it, not because I'm hungry. So should be easy, right??

Nup. Too much food around these days. Too much exposure to it.

I think the obesity epidemic will continue because of the difficulty many of us have in saying no. Our poor kids, they see junk everywhere.

Just rambling.

[emoji4]

Thanks gowalking. I have thought that too, that don't fix what not broke. I am scared of complications with it in the future though.

Had a good night last night.

But.... As tea was being served, I scoffed a fresh white bun. Gee it was good! But then two mouthfuls of lasagne and I realised I was stuck and needed the bathroom urgently! Very embarrassing as it was a family birthday dinner and in front of my new son in law I had to leave the table!

Wouldn't one think that after eight years I would know not to do that?

Where is my head?!

I would love to be your buddy. How do I do a pm?

Sorry this old girl not very computer literate! Xx

I just sent you a PM Gaylene. You should see it in your notifications. Hope to see a response from you.

Hi gowalking

Did you get my PM?

Yes honey. I replied yesterday afternoon. Let me know if you don't see it.

I had the lapband for 7 years and it was a nighmare; could eat healthy foods got stuck ended up eating slider foods, gained weight. Always wary of what I was eating because everthing got stuck(I wasn't too tight either). I beleive at some point every lapband will have to be removed anyway, I don't think it is meant to be in you for life. The GB is the best surgery decision I could have made. Weight is staying off, I get full quickly and it hasn't had a negative effect on my metabolism. I say go ahead, remove it and go with another permanent surgery option.

This is me. I can't eat healthy foods, but slider foods stay down just fine.

Very irritating and people don't believe me. That is why I am gaining weight again.

This is me. I can't eat healthy foods, but slider foods stay down just fine.

Very irritating and people don't believe me. That is why I am gaining weight again.

Oh @Puppypaws57....I'm so sorry to hear this. You were on these boards alot and like so many others, just disappeared. I'm so sorry it's likely due to your difficulties with the band. These kind of posts worry me so....

Thank you gowalking :-)