Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just saw my surgeon and I've lost another 7lbs! I asked about coffee and he said that I could have it. So woohoo on my visit today!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yay for you! good job!

Just saw my surgeon and I've lost another 7lbs! I asked about coffee and he said that I could have it. So woohoo on my visit today!

Thank you so much!

I stepped down from my Diet Cole addiction with tea. I slowly weaned myself off of carbonation then slowly weaned myself off of caffeine.

I am certainly going to be asking my surgeon and NUT about this........I don't want to give it up unless it is really needed. I don't over do it....in my opinion anyway.. I have a 12oz cup of coffee in the morning and a diet coke at lunch and dinner.....Now I know I'll have to give up the diet cokes and I can replace those with tea without it being too bad....but I want to keep my three doses of caffeine...

I just got sleeved yesterday and I'd been stressing about losing my beloved cup a day for so long leading up to this surgery then I asked my surgeon about it he said I don't have a problem with you having coffee apparently he recently attended a conference and it was something that was discussed and it's not an issue for him he said so I am one very very happy girl

Sent from my iPhone

Most all diets I've been on in the past say "no caffeine" but I've never followed that......I've always said "I know I'm addicted to caffeine, and I'm willing to live it"....haha....Anyway, with the previous diets I never really saw a reason to have to cut the caffeine.....But with this I can certainly see that because caffeine is a diuretic it should be cut, especially at first....I think you'll have a hard enough time getting enough Fluid in without having a diuretic in your system......So that's the main reason I see for stopping.....is there anything else? Any post op folks out there that didn't cut out the caffeine??

ME!! I never gave up coffee and have absolutely no intention of ever doing so. For every cup of coffee I drink, I drink an extra 8oz of Water.

Whatever works--and having my coffee not only works for me, but for anyone in close proximity! In fact, upon waking up in Recovery after my spinal surgery I was given Fioricet for my anticipated caffeine withdrawal headache. Fioricet is 1/3 caffeine.

I knew and my bariatric team knew that my morning coffee was a "stay" in my life. We, together worked out a regimen that works for me and allows me to have my coffee. No secrets between patient and MD leads to no surprises postop and enhances the percentage for success.

I'm so glad I posted this topic! I feel so much better now! :D

Wonderful! Maybe we should go and have a cup of coffee to Celebrate our new lives! :)

You got this!! One sip at a time...

I'll keep your spot on "The Losers' Bench" warm for you.

I gave up coffee for the first six weeks after my op last year...

Well no...

I didn't give it up...

I just didn't drink any...

It had nothing to do with the 'diuretic' allegation...

It was the 'healing' thing as discussed in a post earlier in this thread...

13 months later and I'm back to one or two triple shot espresso/ristretto each day...

Ultimately, it's possible to find a study or paper which proves whatever you want to prove...

our best bet is to do as recommended by your surgical team...

They know you better than anyone here does and they (generally) know what's right for you better than you do..

Enjoy...

Kinda..

P.S. - A lot of the time, the problem your team will have with coffee is the sugar/milk/sweetener/cream that you have with it...

Why you'd have such things with coffee is beyond me but hey... To each their own...

But still... :mellow:

I agree....that's why I'll be discussing this with my surgeon.....now I just need to get him to "recommend" what I want him to...haha and no I don't put any of those things in my coffee!

I gave up coffee for the first six weeks after my op last year...

Well no...

I didn't give it up...

I just didn't drink any...

It had nothing to do with the 'diuretic' allegation...

It was the 'healing' thing as discussed in a post earlier in this thread...

13 months later and I'm back to one or two triple shot espresso/ristretto each day...

Ultimately, it's possible to find a study or paper which proves whatever you want to prove...

our best bet is to do as recommended by your surgical team...

They know you better than anyone here does and they (generally) know what's right for you better than you do..

Enjoy...

Kinda..

P.S. - A lot of the time, the problem your team will have with coffee is the sugar/milk/sweetener/cream that you have with it...

Why you'd have such things with coffee is beyond me but hey... To each their own...

But still... :mellow:

coffee isn't really a diuretic. I'm almost 2 years post surgery and went back to caffeine about 6 month out. I'm now caffeine free again as I'm having a problem with acid reflux. But if you don't have an acid problem, I don't think caffeine will hurt you post op.

do you have to stop drinking regular coffee???

@@susanh14 I think we've determined it's something to talk over with your surgical team....most of the literature says no caffeine but as you can see with the responses in this thread.....it's up for discussion. So talk it over with them I think is the best advice. :)