Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suits for plus-sized ladies?

Hi ladies! I'm job searching and if I get called for an interview I have nothing to wear. I didn't realize this until last night when I was scrambling through my clothes to find something appropriate to wear for a Skype interview. Luckily I found a classy sweater and a nice necklace to pair with it but it still wasn't as professional as I was hoping for.

Could anyone please recommend a clothing store that sells classy plus-sized ladies pantsuits? Men have the luxury of visiting a tailor with easy to select options to look good at work. Us? Nope. I don't want anything with flare or pizazz, I literally want something conservative, simple, and serious.

Any suggestions are welcome! Bonus points if I can actually visit the store in person and try something on!

I have to dress professional for all the time. I usually hit up Ross. Walmart sometimes has nice slacks and Lane Bryant does, but those can get pricey.

Good luck

I found the best plus-size suits I ever got (got tons of compliments on them) at a local high-end consignment/thrift store. Didn't pay more than $25 for any of them.

It depends on where you live and how plus size you are.

I would suggest Nordstrom because they tailor for you, and the prices are very reasonable for the tailoring.

A budget on what you want to spend is helpful. A suit can have a huge range of prices from $200 to $2000.

Many Dress Barns and Cato's have a plus sized section. I've found many a suit there,

I also got some nice suits at KMart of all places. Can't think of the brand but it was a famous TV actress's line.

Lane Bryant may still sel suits or separates that work as a suit.

Jessica London carries suits.

If you want to look at a little higher price point, Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdales, all sell plus suits online. I imagine some of the stores carry them in-store, too

If you want to pm me your size, I will see if any of the suits I'm planning to donate would fit you. They are all pantsuits; I don't do skirts, lol!

I have never been a big fan of matched suits. You could try to find a nice pair of pants and/or skirt and jacket/blazer.

It depends on your budget and shape/size, but you might also try someplace like Talbot's.

JC Penney's might work.

Thanks ladies, this is helpful! Macy's may be my best bet for now - can anyone tell me if their sizes run big or small? I HATE women's sizing and how arbitrary it can be... I'm a Lane Bryant size 24 in pants (they're getting looser but I'm still not a size 22 yet). 22/24 top.

@@OutsideMatchInside - my budget right now isn't terribly high because I'm losing weight and I'd hate to invest big bucks on a suit I can only wear to the interviews I'm participating in over the coming months. But I would love, love, love to have a tailored suit for when I reach my goal weight and (presumably) stay there. It's good to know Nordstrom's does tailoring. That would be tremendously helpful. I've always wanted a personally tailored suit but I haven't been able to find a place that specializes in ladies' tailoring. I'll check that out! Thanks for the suggestion!

@@needtorecover

Macy's varies by the brand you select. I am still losing also and I totally understand not wanting to spend a lot on clothes. I would try to get something with a little stretch in it, so you can get a 22 and then get more wear from it. Avenue has some business separates that have stretch,

Even if you buy clothes at Nordstrom Rack, they will still tailor them, they have a tailor on site. So it is worth it to take a look and get something quality but cheaper. The prices there can surprise you.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Lane Bryant probably won't be conservative enough for you. Catherine's, their sister-store is where I bought my suits when I was in banking. Now, I just buy blazers and pants separately and avoid unlined blazers. Penny's is also very good. I have purchased dresses at Macy's and was pleased with the quality for the price.

When I was in the 18-22 size range I had a few nice pieces from Nordstroms and then filled in with pants and blouses from JCP. Occasionally I would find a nice top or pair of slacks that fit well at Maurices. Lane Bryant was always hot or miss as I'm 5'4" and things didn't seem to fall right on me. You can also try wardrobe rental companies like Gwinnee Bee (?).

At this stage I recommend trying Goodwill if you live in a large city. I've found a few good pieces to supplement my wardrobe during the last year. My comment about a large city was due to when I lived in a rural area there was never very much in terms of quality pieces at GW.