Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vets: What Are You Eating Today?

VSG Ann, I'm very jealous of how many calories you are able to eat and still maintain!!! Do you do a lot of exercise, or is this what you are able to eat without exercise. I feel like if I ate 1700 calories a day I'd blow up like a balloon!!!

Edited by Momcat

VSG Ann, I'm very jealous of how many calories you are able to eat and still maintain!!! Do you do a lot of exercise, or is this what you are able to eat without exercise. I feel like if I ate 1700 calories a day I'd blow up like a balloon!!!

I can eat 1900 calories on days I don't exercise and 2400 on days I do and still maintain. Everyone is different, I guess.

Everyone is different. Unfortunately, I feel like I am blessed with the metabolism of a slug!!!

Ha! I'm 70 years old. I walk and hike and move more and do a lot more housework and gardening than I used to do. And I do some yoga and stretching ("rolling around on the floor"). I do fidget more than I used to, and I think that counts, too. But I don't run and am not a gym rat in the least. My number one exercise rule is: "Don't hurt yourself!"

I am newly retired (which means less work stress), but we've had a lot of family stress (death of an adult child, husband has cancer, hubby's father and my mother died) in the last year. And don't even ask about the pets!

My food is "pretty clean" -- in that I eat around 100 grams daily of animal and plant Protein, and a lot of veggies, fruits, whole grains. I hardly ever eat fast food. Most days I have one alcoholic drink and one sugar treat unless my weight is above 135. I get in 64 ounces of liquids a day.

FYI, I didn't eat like a bird when I was losing weight -- following my bariatric P.A.'s advice I averaged 800 cals/day the first 4 months, then 1,000 cals in months 5-6, then 1,200 cals in months 7-8. In all, I've lost 100 pounds, including 19 pounds pre-op. It took me 8 months to lose the last 15 pounds.

I have NO IDEA why some people can maintain while eating more than others. And I have no idea if I'll always be able to eat like this and maintain this weight. I think you just have to find out what your body likes and then be willing to do that. I also think you should have the courage to try other combinations to see if they work better for you.

I have learned a lot of things that helped me lose weight and maintain weight, including:

* Eating Protein and eating protein first works.

* Eating healthy veggies works, too.

* Sugar makes you crave more sugar. You may have to go cold turkey on sugar's ass.

* Fast food isn't very satisfying in any way.

* Eating slowly and chewing well helps.

* Grazing is the road to perdition.

* Healthy Snacks are excellent and aren't even close to the same thing as grazing.

* Taking my meds and supplements every day works.

* Weighing every morning works. Otherwise, I would wander off into the weeds.

* Positive self-talk, keeping a positive attitude and cultivating a big sense of humor (and appreciating others' funny bones) help.

* Seeing my therapist once a month helps.

* Having a spouse who constantly says, "Great ass, babe!" is lovely. :)

That's all I got for now. If I learn anything else, I'll mention it .

:)

Thank you so much for your insights... and congrats!! Keep up the good work.

@@VSGAnn2014, I always enjoy reading your post, you give me hope! Thank you

I don't know exactly why some maintain on more calories than others but think it might have somethings to do with the type of calories. If you haven't already consider watching That Sugar Film. Same calories, same exercise, but more sugar (and not the super bad candy, soda, etc sugar) and gains significant weight in a short period of time. Very interesting.

@@VSGAnn2014

I love your posts!!

So happy to see you add a glass of wine to your dinner meal..oh how I miss my Chianti .. I have had a glass of wine 3 times since my nov 30th 2015 surgery. I told myself once I maintain I will add it to my daily menu. I am 20 pounds away

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@VSGAnn2014

I love your posts!!

So happy to see you add a glass of wine to your dinner meal..oh how I miss my Chianti .. I have had a glass of wine 3 times since my nov 30th 2015 surgery. I told myself once I maintain I will add it to my daily menu. I am 20 pounds away

@@VSGAnn2014

I love your posts!!

@@VSGAnn2014

I love your posts!!

My day, I'm 14 months out my goal was 135, but I went down to 115, now 120 which it's great because I finally have energy to work out on a regular basis.

Takes me 1 hr for Breakfast, lunch and dinner usually and about 30 min for mid morning, mid afternoon snack post-234273-1464153437568_thumb.jpg post-234273-14641534570285_thumb.jpg post-234273-14641534668393_thumb.jpg

Edited by foodfighter78

It is literally called "That Sugar Film". FYI - I asked the same thing when someone mentioned it to me the first time - haha.

HA! Thank you :)

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Definitely reading this late but I found it to be very helpful. I am 1 1/2 years out and feel like I eat a lot compared to some of the posts I read. Admittedly I'm a bad girl and don't track my food very well anymore. If I were to guess, I would say I eat around 2000 calories per day, primarily high Protein and fat and low carb. I do exercise a lot, I ran a full marathon in December and I'm running my second half marathon of this year this Sunday with another one scheduled in September. I guess the exercise allows me to eat more without gaining. I guess I better keep running so I can keep eating!

I guess I better keep running so I can keep eating!

Heh! That's exactly how I feel. I eat a lot, but I'm able to maintain 10 pounds below goal just by keeping up with my running!