Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vets: What Are You Eating Today?

CORRECTION TO MY POST ABOVE: The day's total nutritional values, including calories above are correct, but I forgot to include the 6 oz can of Tomato juice that I drank before Breakfast. I put it in my computer food journal, but forgot to include it in the meals listed above.

@@DrCollins Was that 790 calories for the entire day in maintenance? That seems CRAZY low. I have seen a couple of people on here that need to eat as little as 1100 calories a day to maintain, but under 800?!?!

Yes, that was 790 calories for the entire day in maintenance.

Note that I am a sedentary, short (5'0") female, age 71, as well as a "reduced obese" person now in the "normal" BMI range. From a 52.9 BMI 23 years ago (just before my open RNY), down to a low of 160 about a year later, with a slow regain during the next 5 years to the 190s, where for the next 5 years or so, I had to diet to keep from re-gaining more weight. About 12 years ago, I started heavy duty dieting - averaging about 1200 calories per day with lots of exercise, and lost down to a 22.5 BMI 10 years ago. Since then I have been maintaining my weight in or very close to my "normal" BMI range. My current weight gives me a 24.4 BMI.

To keep things in perspective.....the Mifflin formula gives a "normal" female of my size, age, and activity level a BMR of 958 and a sedentary TDEE of 1150. This formula is based on "AVERAGES", and can easily be off by 15% either down or up, and...of course... there are always "outliers" ... which are people who are FAR below or above the Average.

I have been consistently tracking my weight and food every day for the past 12+ years in a computer food journal, and therefore I know that MY OWN BMR / TDEE is more than 100 calories per day below normal. My records show that I maintained my current weight during the past calendar year by eating between a daily 800 and 900 calorie average. For the 4 - 5 calendar year period before that my maintenance calories were in the 1000-1050 range, but during those years, my weight was creeping up a few pounds per year.

I've got a lot of data about this issue at my nonprofit, personal website, located at www.diethobby.com.

Wow, I don't know whether to feel encouraged that you are managing to maintain with such a low BMR or discouraged that it's possible to have that low a BMR.... Sounds like you've got it very well figured out what's working for you, though.

@@DrCollins -- yes! This is what I mean when I say "it is what it is."

I honestly don't know how people can figure out what their maintenance menus should be unless they've done this kind of information collection and analysis to find out.

My maintenance budget is much higher than yours. But again, it is what it is. And we move on from there.

:)

@@DrCollins

Wow. I don't know if I'm more impressed that you've kept your weight off for so many years or the fact that you know EXACTLY what you need to do to keep the weight off.

You're my bariatric hero!

That is way too much food. If you were like me and had the Gastric bypass RNY done, your stomach can only hold so much due to the fact that it's only the size of a golf ball. I suggest that you Google:Gastric bypass surgery while on Weight Watcher's. I did some research on it this past week and I found a lot of interesting things and I made desktops for each thing on my laptop. My boyfriend and I are planning on doing Weight Watcher's together, and I know that I had the weight loss surgery done, that's why I did some research on it.

Sent from my SM-G360T using the BariatricPal App

That is way too much food. If you were like me and had the Gastric bypass RNY done, your stomach can only hold so much due to the fact that it's only the size of a golf ball. I suggest that you Google:Gastric bypass surgery while on Weight Watcher's. I did some research on it this past week and I found a lot of interesting things and I made desktops for each thing on my laptop. My boyfriend and I are planning on doing Weight Watcher's together, and I know that I had the weight loss surgery done, that's why I did some research on it.

Nikki ... I don't understand what you're saying. Would you try again?

What type of of Gastric bypass surgery did you have done? I had the Gastric bypass RNY done 15yrs ago and my stomach is only the size of a golf ball. I'm planning on going back to Weight Watcher's with my boyfriend and I did some research on the Internet this past week and I found several sites that talk about people that have had Weight loss surgery, and that are doing Weight Watcher's as well. My suggestion is to go on the Internet and look up the following :Bariatric Surgery Source: Weight regain after Bariatric surger-how to get back on track; Consumer Guide to Bariatric Surgery: Spotlight on: Weight Watcher's; Bariatric Surgery Source: Weight Gain After Bariatric Surgery & How to Avoid or Reverse it; Bariatric Surgery and Weight Loss Weight Watcher's:Bariatric Surgery and Weight Loss; Obesity:5 Ways To Prevent Stretching Your Stomach After Gastric Bypass; Bariatric Surgery Source: Regain of 35lbs after gastric bypass-getting back on track. I found a lot of these sites just by Google the simple question:How many calories are you supposed to to have after having weight loss surgery. I know for a fact that what you said that you were eating in one day is way too much food and its not only going to stretch your stomach back out but cause you to put the weight right back on that you are trying to get off. I know when I was on Weight Watcher's before I had my surgery that you are supposed to measure your foods, and keep track of the foods that you eat, and it doesn't look like you are doing any of that. I know for me that'll be to much food, and if I ate all of that in one day, I'll be in the bathroom with stomach problems. So, my suggestion is to cut way back on the foods that you eat, exercise, drink plenty of Water, and keep track of the foods you eat. Those are the main things that not only will help you loose weight, but are the basic requirements for weight watchers as well. I was and still am a Lifetime member of Weight Watcher's that's how I know so much about it and I'm going back to Weight watcher's with my boyfriend.

@@nikki99 I don't think it's clear who your posts are directed at. @@VSGAnn2014 isn't struggling with weight regain. She has been maintaining her weight just fine eating what she is currently eating. Are you addressing your post at the original poster?

@@nikki99 ... best to you. Thank you. :)

Hi all,

This topic is for vets (more than one year out, bonus points for every extra year!) to post what they are eating today.

I'll start. I'm almost 5 years out and I'm battling a 20 lb. weight regain. I've joined Weight Watchers and am following their new plan, which is more protein-centric than in the past.

Here's my day:

B: 2 Jimmy Dean low-fat Turkey Sausage Patties and 1/3 c. oatmeal, cooked with 1 cup Water and a little splenda and salt

L: Spinach and cheese Flatbread from costco (240 calories) and 1.5 oz. turkey lunchmeat

S: 100 calorie bag of popcorn and two small tangerines

D: 3 oz. low fat ground beef (we grind our own) on a WW sandwich thin with 1 c. homemade Tomato Soup (low sugar canned pureed tomatoes, basil, a little salt and water)

S: not sure I'll have one but planning on 3/4 c. plain fat-free greek yogurt topped with 1/3 c. frozen berries

May I ask a question (pre op)....because you brought up WW.....my plan is to return to WW after 3 months for the weekly support and accountability and keep it on the down low and just track like a bari, but.....wondering how you deal with points? Since you are so far out, is 30 points really possible with a sleeve? or are you also just utilzing them for the support?

May I ask a question (pre op)....because you brought up WW.....my plan is to return to WW after 3 months for the weekly support and accountability and keep it on the down low and just track like a bari, but.....wondering how you deal with points? Since you are so far out, is 30 points really possible with a sleeve? or are you also just utilzing them for the supp

No, I do not believe 30 points is doable at 3 months out. MAYBE after a year. Maybe.

I'm 19+ months post-op, have lost 100 pounds and am maintaining at 135 pounds (my original goal was 150, and I blew through that). Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast:

1/2 cup coffee and 1/2 cup skim milk (homemade skinny latte)

GNC Lean shake 25, swiss chocolate

Mid-morning:

Cheddar cheese - 1 ounce

Three seed cracker

Smuckers sugar free strawberry jam - 2 T.

Lunch:

(Ruby Tuesday leftovers from night before)

3 ounces hickory bourbon salmon

1/2 serving brown rice pilaf

1/2 serving grilled zucchini

1 side of hickory bourbon sauce

Mid-afternoon snack:

Homemade skinny latte

Dark chocolate and almond biscotti

3 Sam's Choice lemon cookie thins

Cocktail Hour:

1 ounce Glenmorangie scotch

Dinner:

Stouffers chicken parmesan

Romaine lettuce hearts

Litehouse chunky blue cheese dressing

1/2 ounce blue cheese crumbles

4 ounces of chardonnay

After-dinner snack:

1 square Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt

Day's Macronutrients:

1,849 calories

177 carb grams

77 fat grams

94 Protein grams

3,487 mg. sodium (too much - limit is 2,300 - blame this on the Stouffers chicken parm)

19 grams insoluble Fiber (too few - need at least 21)

Your menu is so encouraging! I am only 4 months out from RNY but the fact that I might someday be able to enjoy 4 ounces of wine again is encouraging. Oh, and the dark chocolate too! ????

Thanks, @ ... but admittedly, that menu was a little more than I normally eat, which is 1700 - 1800 cals/day with around 100 grams of Protein.

Just be aware that I weigh every morning, measure everything and track my food in My Fitness Pal. I'm still maintaining right on the button -- 135 pounds. But if that were to change, I'd have to change my menus, too. The main thing to remember is that you have to find out what works for YOU.

Please know I didn't eat ANY chocolate or drink ANY alcohol for at least 6 months post-op. Or for 2.5 months pre-op. I've added these and other treats back in very gradually and very carefully. Sometimes chocolate does get the better of me and I have to let it go for a while. In other words, I'm just trying now to live like a normal person who's perhaps a bit hyper-attentive to what she's doing. I'm trying to be "mindful" and care for myself better than I ever have before.

Good luck to us both!