Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Blood Pressure and temperature shortly after Gastric Sleeve surgery?

I've never had issues with Blood Pressure before. The day of surgery, my Blood Pressure was pretty high, something like 156/90-something. We all figured it was my nerves. I had my surgery on the 16th, the next day my Blood Pressure was still pretty high. They let me go home and told me to watch it, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue.

Also, it seems that my temperature is elevated. Not quite a fever yet at 100.1, but close enough for me. Has anyone experienced this as well? I'm guessing it's from the trauma my body just went through with the surgery, but it does have me a bit concerned. It has fluctuated from 98.93 to 100 throughout the day.

Call your surgeon.

Make sure you drink as much as you can, since a low grade temp can be related to dehydration. If that doesn't bring it down, call your doc since you'd want him/her to make sure you don't have infection or some other problem brewing.

I was able to get down 16oz of Syntrax nectar yesterday within 2-3 hours before going to sleep at 7pm, which I though was pretty good being that I came home from the hospital at 4pm. I had a few sips of broth, Water and tea each, for the first time yesterday at the hospital as well. So my plan is to start early this morning with the sipping.

Took my temp this morning and it was back down to 98.6. Not sure about my BP yet, I need to send my aunt to get me a monitor later today. But I definitely don't feel like I felt yesterday when it was up. So we shall see.

Call your surgeon.

I am with kat on this - can't hurt to check in with the surgical team to make them aware and to ensure it's nothing to worry about....

I have hbp... went in at 165/93... stayed that way before during and after surgery on 3/16... before discharge yesterday, and my med I went down to 127/70. If you can make it to Walgreens or Walmart to check it, I would. Feel your resting pluse... you can usually feel your body running hotter than normal. Contact your pcp... not much bariactric clinic can do with underlying health issues, but direct you to your pcp... hence why most pcps are responsible for pre op testing and screening for underlying health issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

My temp went up day or 2 after surgery as well. Not high but like 100.1. Inflammatory response can do it. Surgeon instructions said call if over 101.

Yeah, it must've just been the stress of being in the hospital or an inflammatory response. I took my BP again today and it's back down to 121/68 and my temp was 98.6. Yay.

I had the exact same problems. They kept me an extra night because of this. My temp is down, but I need to get a cuff to check my blood pressure. Scary. I don't want to add another problem.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

A low-grade temp for a day or so is most likely the body's inflammatory response to the trauma of surgery.

As for your blood pressure, I had the opposite experience. I've been on two different blood pressure medications for several years. Since my surgery a week ago, I've been checking and it's consistently stayed low enough that I haven't restarted either of those medications yet. Wierd, but I'll take it!

Are you experiencing an inordinate amount of stress over this or other life issues? Are you in pain? Bp is directly effected with that. Do they take another test on opposite?

I had no hbp before but day after surgery for next two days was right around 185/88 came down to 167/80 but still high 4 days out hoping something happen so it will come down to normal I have also had dissy spells and am getting enough Water min. 64 Oz some times little more

Sent from my SCH-R970 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all for your support. This post is very helpful since I had my revision to sleeve on 03/16/16 with Dr. Michael Choi.

I don't feel any pain today; but my blood pressure was high this morning.

I will check with it out at walgreens to see if I need to do something else.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App