Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@Sweet Pee Do you run? If so, how long did you wait post-op before you started running again. Dra. Cardenas said I could start out slowly and for short distances at 6 weeks and work my way up from there. But I don't want to risk my healing in any way.

@@JamieLogical

Yes I run. I started very slowly, but only after 16 weeks. I walked, (very slow) but I could not run. It took me longer to recover from my thigh lift surgery, but in my mind thought I should

have healed sooner.

It is a delicate area. I made sure to keep it very clean and dry. (I sweat a lot) I stayed in the shower.

If you list the things that goes on with a woman's body in that area, you will understand what I mean.

I also had arm lift surgery at the same time. I think I was scared, and I wanted everything to heal perfectly. Plus I am a very slow healer and I have a phobia about scars.

I was still walking funny at 6 weeks. (Hahahahah)

I told myself exercise can wait, and it did. I listened to my body. Any pain, then I knew my body was not quite ready yet.

That's why I'm waiting until the local running season is pretty much over before having the surgery. I know I won't be doing any half marathons for a while post-op! I would much rather take it slow and ensure that I heal fully. I don't want to feel any kind of pressure to get back to running in order to train for an upcoming race or anything. If I have the surgery in September, I probably wouldn't be looking to do my first race until April... maybe start seriously training for that in January... so that would give me a good three full months before I would feel like I really NEEDED to get back to running.

How long did you take off of work? My surgeon said three weeks, but I'm planning on four.

I had my surgery during the summer, which I have off, which allowed me enough time to recover. When I went back to work, sitting down too long was still uncomfortable. If I only has 4 weeks off, I probably would have needed some sort of cushion.

I had my surgery during the summer, which I have off, which allowed me enough time to recover. When I went back to work, sitting down too long was still uncomfortable. If I only has 4 weeks off, I probably would have needed some sort of cushion.

Fortunately my work can be pretty flexible with paid time off. So if I initially put in for 3 weeks and I'm not ready to come back, I can take longer or do half days or whatever is needed. After my Tummy Tuck, I had an issue with terrible soft tissue swelling in my lower back that made it hard for me to sit more than a couple hours at a time, so I did half days for another month after my initial 3 weeks off. I am also scheduled for a week of vacation at the end of October, so even if I do come back at 3 weeks, I'm only back for two weeks then on vacation. I'll have to check the calendar to confirm that. But if I did half days for those two weeks then was off another week, it would really be 6 weeks before I was back full time. I still have 59 days of "catastrophic leave" in my lifetime bank so I could really be out for like 3 months if I absolutely HAD to.