Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SURGERY on Friday, Released Today Feeling Shitty

Hi all! I am so happy to have been to referred to this group! I have so many questions about what I'm feeling, if it's normal and if I'm just being a hypochondriac. I had my surgery 3/11 and stayed in the hospital until this morning. I had been coughing a lot and had some mucus with blood but my doctor said it was normal. I also have a bruise from one heparin shot (I had at least 8 and only one gave me a mark) and I have some bruising around the big incision. Is that normal??

Also they took me off my IV this morning and I've been trying REALLY hard to get in enough liquids but it's really hard. I also bought the Vega brand powder shakes and it gets really thick and gelatinous so I thought that might not be good because the ones they gave me in the hospital were very liquidy so I'm going to go get the Premier Protein.

As soon as I got home I started feeling a little lightheaded and I've been drinking Pedialyte and

Herbal tea but I know it's not enough. I took one Extra Strength Tylenol (crushed and drank with pedialyte) and when it didn't help my headache I took a Toradol. I refused any hydrocodone or other narcotics because I'd rather be in pain than nauseated. I really hope this is normal as I REALLY want this to work. Thanks so much everyone!!!

Edited by nyhila

I sure hope you start feeling better. I don't have my surgery until April 13th but I'm sure your not being paranoid but are concerned your feeling things you've never felt before. I'm sure we are all gonna feel the same way. Good luck and feel better soon.

Hey there!

Congrats on taking this big step - it's normal for your emotions to be all over the place at this stage though, so try not to worry.

I got a ton of shots while I was in the hospital - most of them bruised, and I had pretty serious bruising around a couple of the incision sites too, the bigger the incision the bigger the bruises - also very normal. They took weeks to disappear but didn't really hurt. I'm 8 weeks post op today and my incisions look great - pinking up nicely

I found getting liquids in very hard too - Water made me feel empty and sick. I went for milk - I drank small cups of cold milk as much as I could. And apple juice. Nothing much else appealed to me at the time. So just trust your stomach - if you don't like the sound of drinking something, it makes you feel queasy, then don't drink it. You'll find things you like to drink - whether it be tea, coffee, milk, juice or Water.< /p>

I don't use any Protein powders as I don't like them - I drank milk mostly, and some high Protein milkshakes. For pain killers I was given soluble paracetamol and tiny codeine pills and they both worked fine - just remember to take whatever you do regularly and not wait until you're really uncomfortable with the pain.

All of this is trial and error - finding what works for you. You'll work it out as you go along, but don't be afraid to ask anyone anything on here - in my experience everyone is really helpful, and even if the advice isn't what you want, it's nice to know you're not alone.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!

I had my surgery 3/7 and have to take lovonox(same as heparin) twice a day. my stomach is COVERED in bruises. it's completely normal. you're giving yourself a blood thinner, which makes you bruise. as long as your incisions are not leaking or red, the bruises are fine. I have little ones around mine and I just got my sterie strips off yesterday and she said everything was healing well and wasn't concerned with all the bruises. good luck with everything!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by jennamj94

Hi Nyhila,

I am so sorry you are feeling so badly. I had my surgery 3/7 and am covered in bruises. So don't worry there, what worries me is your pain control.

You said you took a Toradol that is an Nsaid, same class as Advil. I was told to never take an NSAID again after surgery, ever! Just check with your doctor's office. I know you also said you didn't like the nausea associated with other pain relievers. I take Zofran, an anti nausea pill along side and have very little nausea.

I really hope you are feeling better soon. Everyday will get better. I really like the premier Protein, easy to get down, I keep mine in an insulated cup so it stays cool during the hour or two it takes me to get it down. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Hey guys! Thank you so much for all the replies. It helped a lot! For the Torodol being an NSAID, I didn't have a hiatal hernia and I was low on the BMI and he said the injectable was fine, just no pill. I took the tramadol last night and regretted it IMMEDIATELY! Back to just Tylenol for me! I would rather be in pain all day than nauseated!!

My husband bought me a 33.8 ounce Water bottle and I try to drink that and a half with my Protein shakes. I still haven't had a BM, I started drinking that Smooth Move tea my doctor recommended and I felt SOMETHING, then it stopped. Oh well hopefully tomorrow because I am definitely feeling it in my belly which is nooooo bueno

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App