Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Transporting Protein Shakes to Work?

I need suggestions on transporting Protein Shakes back and forth to work. I have to drink 5 shakes a day. Can you mix powder milk with the Protein Powder and then add cold Water at work? Or would I be better off buying a thermos large enough to carry three to work?

I don't want to take a 1/2 gallon of almond milk to work with me. We have fridges, but everyone in the building uses them.

Pre-made Protein Shakes are a lot more expensive. That is why I have switched to powder.

Some Protein powders like the Syntrax fruit flavors are actually better mixed with Water.

As for mixing powdered milk to the Protein powders and then just adding Water, that's a great idea. I did that last time I Went on vacation. I NEED to get in a certain amount of insoluble Fiber every day to stay regular. I brought along a mixture of powdered skim milk, vanilla protein powder, ground flax seed and apple Fiber in a tupperware container and added a certain amount to water every morning for Breakfast. Worked great. I also make a protein hot chocolate powder with dry milk, protein powder, cocoa powder and sweetener. Just add water for a yummy chocolatey treat.

I'm very interested in this topic as I will be returning to work on the 17th. I did buy one of those shake mixers that you use with Water, but also bought some premixed Protein Shakes that can be kept in the refrigerator just in case. I'll have to wait and see which one works best.

5 shakes a day - wow! are you preop?

I take a shake in the morning - I have a big glass cup with a lid and straw, a smoothie cup.

If I had to bring 5 I would think a thermos and lidded cup would be the best option.

5 shakes a day - wow! are you preop?

I take a shake in the morning - I have a big glass cup with a lid and straw, a smoothie cup.

If I had to bring 5 I would think a thermos and lidded cup would be the best option.

Nope. I had my surgery 14 months ago. I'm 5 ft 4 and down to 110 pounds. I'm in the basement of my BMI. My surgeon wants me st 140. Nutritionist and Bariatric Counselor want me to get to 125-128ish.,

okay so youre using weight gain shakes? if so why use almond milk? it seems kind of weird to limit your calories when your trying to gain weight.

Yea, if you are trying to gain I would definitely look at weight gainer powders instead of straight Protein powders. I'd bring whole milk in a thermos to mix your shakes with too, when you can. Unfortunately I've only seen powdered milk in skim version.

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, the part of your stomach that process fats and sugars was cut away. Thus if you consumed some fats or sugars, these would be dumped into your intestines and could lead to dumping syndrome. Thus you were told no fats or sugars after surgery. But after about a year, your intestines learn to adapt and take up this function. Therefore it is possible to consume fats and sugars again.

I am 34 months post op RNY. I avoid sugars like a plague. But fats on the other hand are important because they have the ability to take away hunger. So after about a year I reintroduced fats back into my diet. I drink whole milk, eat real butter, and normal cuts of meat. The guidance from my nutritionist when I reached the maintenance phase was to consume a well balanced meal with equal parts of Protein, fats and carbs but always make sure you put Protein first.

So if you are consuming protein shakes to gain weight, why use almond milk? Personally, I tried to use shaker cups to hand mix protein powders and didn't have much luck. It was too clumpy. Since you are over 1 year post-op, have you considered the other option: Protein Bars. I found Protein Bars to be a good protein source when I am away from home. Quest is a good brand and they can be purchased online. But then again, protein bars are probably more expensive than purchasing premixed Protein Shakes.< /p>

I keep a big tub of costco Protein powder under my desk. No one bothers it. shaker cup in my cupboard. Keep it simple.

okay so youre using weight gain shakes? if so why use almond milk? it seems kind of weird to limit your calories when your trying to gain weight.

Because, I hate milk. Never could stand it.

Yea, if you are trying to gain I would definitely look at weight gainer powders instead of straight Protein powders. I'd bring whole milk in a thermos to mix your shakes with too, when you can. Unfortunately I've only seen powdered milk in skim version.

i don't like milk. I do like other dairy though like cheese, ricotta, cream cheese etc.

You have to remember, I am dealing with some issues with terrified of gaining weight, even though, my surgeon, Nutritionist, Counselor, family, co-workers etc, say, I need to. :(

I've traded one battle for another. :(

If you prefer Almond Milk, consider using the shelf stable singles to mix with dry Protein powder:

https://silk.com/products/vanilla-almondmilk-singles

There is a product finder there too so you can find a local store. Or maybe order online.

When I drank the powdered Protein, I really preferred it freshly mixed. After sitting, it seemed to me the taste and texture changed.

Also, I really liked mixing GNC's Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard vanilla with a package of Starbucks Decaf coffee. No milk needed.

Another choice for no milk is Unjury's chicken flavor protein. You have to be very careful of the temp though. If the Water is to hot, it's a clumpy mess.

Lynda

i don't like milk. I do like other dairy though like cheese, ricotta, cream cheese etc.

Sorry, You mentioned mixing dry milk powder with the Protein Powder so you can just add Water, so I assumed you were OK with milk. Since you do like other dairy, and you are underweight, make sure you go for the full fat version of everything.....cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.

Have you tried other milks? Rice milk has more carbs than almond milk. soy and coconut both have more (healthy) fats. Soy also has more Protein than any of them. Any of these may be a better choice since you need more calories. They all also come in room temp stable containers that would be easy to bring to work.