Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you eat chocolate?

I read about people who say can't eat chocolate after RNY, and some why eat chocolate.

Chocolate is important to me, can I after I get used to solid food, eat small quantities of chocolate or not?

Ok I don't really know, I'm only a few weeks post-op (feeling fantastic!!), but from what I understand after an absurd amount of research on this kind of stuff, I'm almost sure you'll be able to as long as it's small amounts; however, we both know everybody seems to react differently to the gastric bypass. Many things I heard would happen, or things I would feel, etc have turned out to NOT be the case for me.

After RNY gastric bypass, there are two problems with traditional chocolate candy: sugar and fat. During RNY the part of the stomach that processes fats and sugars has been cut away. If you eat several chocolates, it can lead to dumping syndrome. Eventually your intestines will figure out something is wrong and will step up to the plate and begin to process these foods. This can take about a year.

You are within the "weight loss" phase for such a short time, it is important to maximize the weight loss. Once you transition into the "maintenance" phase, the strategy is different. Fats are a useful tool during maintenance because they take away hunger. Maintenance is about hunger control. But I would recommend you avoid sugars during the maintenance phase. Natural sugar (fruits and milk), artificial sugars (such as splenda), and no calorie natural sugars (such as stevia) are fine, as well as sugar alcohols. So if you have a craving in the maintenance phase, it is fine to consume Adkin's treats. Or enjoy a cup of hot cocoa, only make sure it is the "no sugar added" variety.

I read about people who say can't eat chocolate after RNY, and some why eat chocolate.< /p>

Chocolate is important to me, can I after I get used to solid food, eat small quantities of chocolate or not?

I've always been a chocolate lover, but I can tell you, as I'm in the pureed foods stage, you're going to hate chocolate after a while! Pretty much all you can "eat" during this phase is fake chocolate crap. I'm so sick of dessert like foods being my only source of nutrition, I'm never going to want chocolate again! I can hardly wait until I can eat actual meat and savory foods!

Don't worry, you'll get burned out on chocolate soon enough. Or maybe not!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

My favorite type of chocolate post op is chocolate pudding. Honestly, I want chocolate in the form of candy but it's a trigger food for me, so I stay away.

I'm with @lifeofblair... chocolate is a major trigger food for me so I choose to just stay away from it. Sugar alcohols upset my stomach as well, so I'm not going to even try the NSA chocolate. I do eat chocolate pudding, but that's not even close to the same thing. I haven't had real chocolate since I was pre-op.

On a side note, I bought a bag of chocolate covered almonds as my last treat before I started my liquid pre-op diet. I never got to eat if because we ended up buying a puppy that night and I was too distracted with her. Best decision of my life getting her :)

I read about people who say can't eat chocolate after RNY, and some why eat chocolate.< /p>

For me Yes! I usually enjoy 1 Russell Stover sugar free dark chocolate each evening and i haven't had any issues. All things in moderation

I've always been a chocolate lover, but I can tell you, as I'm in the pureed foods stage, you're going to hate chocolate after a while! Pretty much all you can "eat" during this phase is fake chocolate crap. I'm so sick of dessert like foods being my only source of nutrition, I'm never going to want chocolate again! I can hardly wait until I can eat actual meat and savory foods!

Don't worry, you'll get burned out on chocolate soon enough. Or maybe not!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I would like that! What's fake chocolate crap are you eating now? :D

I am 6 months out. I eat chocolate. I have a single tiny piece some afternoons. Not gonna lie. I also have chocolate milk. But I buy the sugar free Syrup.< /p>

I 2-3 dark chocolate Hershey Kisses every day! Except for now - I gave them up for Lent. Good luck!

Carol

I'm ordering the Russell Stover ones today on Amazon, thanks

You may find that post op, you just don't want or like chocolate anymore. I used to be a level 10 chocoholic, but since surgery, chocolate tastes horrible to me. It's a lot like dirt. Immediately post op I couldn't even get my Protein Shakes down because the chocolate flavor really make me nauseated. I'm 4 months out now, and honestly, I like the smell of chocolate, but I don't fancy it anymore. Same with tea. I used to drink iced tea by the gallon every day since I was a baby, but since surgery, I just don't like it anymore. It was a hard emotional loss, but taste wise it was a pretty easy give up when it tastes so bad!

God, those Russell stover dark chocolates (no sugar) came and I'm in love. I eat one a day, 35 calories, yum!! what a nice little treat

I am glad to report that I eat all the chocolate I want! Vegan ones that is. I can taste chocolate with natural unprocessed sweetners ..so I eith make my own or buy them. My taste buds changed so I cant enjoy commercial brands.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using the BariatricPal App