Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My experiences with Dr. Altamarino, Florence Hospital and BariatricPal

Dear everybody,

My Name is Michael, im 26 years old and I wanted to Share my experiences of my gastric Sleeve surgery with amazing Dr. A on the 12th February 2016.

I started to Research the option of having a WLS Last year. As everyone in the States i guess i First approached my Insurance Company and asked them if they would Pay for it. Im from Europe, Germany especially. They would eventually, but only After i did a one year Programme with a Meeting every monday evening at a certain Time. To be Noted, you can only Miss out Maximum 2 of the total 52 Sessions. But i also couldnt stand my "fat life" with Almost 350 pounds.

I work as a Check in staff for Lufthansa at the Airport. So i work from monday to Sunday anytime between 4am and Midnight. I just cant guarentee that i will be able to attend this Meeting every week at a certain Time. I sure would have Done it if i would have a "normal" Office Job from 9 to 5.

So a started to Look at the Self Pay options. Germany is about 13000-15000 Dollars for the surgery.

There Are cheaper options in the eastern Part of Europe in Countries like Czech Republic, polend, latvia etc..

I contacted two Hospitals in the Czech Republic. One didnt Even answer, the Other Doctor answered but he send me a horrible Email. I Know im Not a native English speaker aswell, but in his Email there were like 20 grammar mistakes (he couldnt Even Write hallo, he Sent me "helo"). Maybe im too harsh, but i thought that if he doesnt Even care about that, will he care in the OR? Maybe thats stupid, but my ex-big stomach (Lol) Said No!

I was just Browsing the Internet and suddenly i came Cross the bariatricpal Website. This was in january and i started to browse in the Forums. I came Cross the México Forum and thought "Omg, i would Never Do a surgery in MEXICO!". Especially as this was the Time of the Dr. Almanza Horror Stories everyone was Talking about.

Well, i spend the Next three days which i had Off Browsing the whole day in Different México Forums. I came across MANY surgeons and soon realized that TJ is the Place for WLS maybe in the World. I had two Favourite doctors, Dr. Altamirano and Dr. Ariel Ortiz from the OCC. To be honest, First i preferred Dr. Ortiz.< /p>

I got in Touch with Both agencies and Dr. Altamirano Quickly set up an Skype appointment with me. Well, and that was it! In my Job i meet every day hundreds of People and i just think that i have a good knowledge of human nature. And Dr. a just nailed it! He was so Calm, Professional, nice, understandable, First explaining the whole Procedere and than i could ask every question i had. A Friend of Mine was with me in the Room, she hided from the Camera so just listended and told me After that "Pick him!". That was my feeling. I still think Dr. Ortiz is a Great surgeon aswell but Dr. Altamirano was now my First Choice!!!!

I Quickly set up a Date. First i thought about having the surgery in June but as i had 2 weeks in February i just asked if they have a Date. I just wanted it to have down and Start my Progress. Luckily they had ( i was Nummer 4 Setting up an surgery Date on Feb 12 and Dr. a just does 4 a day). I Booked my flights, which was easy and cheap for me due to my Travel work Discounts.

Ist was all seit and i was Heading to San Diego via Philadelphia on the 11 Feb. Started my pre OP diet and got more and more nervous every day. On my day of Departure i sat in the plane and thinking "After u arrive in phl u just Rebook your Ticket and go back home!". I was a nervous wreck. Well, the Flight to Philadelphia was 10 Hours so i convinced myself to Stay Strong and so that. Thank god! After 20 Hours of travelling i arrived in san Diego. I just Loved the final approach with the gorgeous Views of the City. I Landed 45 Minutes early so i had to wait a Little Bit for the driver to Pick me up.

Quickly we were on our way to the Mexican Boarder and arrived soon After the Grand Hotel. Its a amazing Hotel, i had a Great Room and bed. of course i couldnt sleep well due to my anxiety. Next Morning i was picked up and brought to the Florence Hospital.< /p>

The Check in process there was very quick and i was soon in my nice, clean and comfortable Room. I had to sign some papers about the risks (yuck!) and had the pre OP Tests Done. Ekg, xray, blood work, Iv Setup etc.

a Word about the staff at Florence: everyone i Met was AMAZING. Nurses, the cute and soooo nice cleaning Lady, rosa the Hospital "Mother", i had No Single Bad experience there.

Around noon it knocked on my door and it was Dr. A! He spoke with me and i think he realised that i was a nervous wreck. He told me im Nummer three and that everything will be Fine. He came in After each surgery before me to Calm me down. I Never experienced a doctor like that before. I just thought im Crazy. Im about 10.000 Miles away from home having surgery, alone! Soon After they came in and got me Ready. I was wheeled in the OR, greated again from Dr. a, the anasthesiologist and his medical Team. Everyone was nice, i Quickly felt dizzy and was sleeping.< /p>

I woke up in my Room. Dr. A was there Right away assuring me everything went well and i was sooooo happy. I just Sent a quick Voice Message to my Friends at home (it was 4am there but they havent slept yet) and i got some ice chips because my Mouth was soooo dry. The nurses again were awesome, Coming in every Hour, asking, helping, you cant get any better care.

I Never had Paid. I had pretty tough nausea and Gas, but i wouldnt describe that as Pain. More uncomfortable feeling. I Walked the halls every Hour so that helped.

The Next day was the leak Test, it went well and Dr. A came in again to visit.

Sunday i was released, they took of my IV, gave me Medicine and my Documents. I was brought to the bariatricpal recovery House. The day i was released i had some feever in the afternoon, nothing serious, just slightly high temperature. Everyone took immediate Care of me! The bariatricpal Staff got me a thermometer and soon After Dr. A came in. Sunday evening (the only day he does Not surgerys, so i guess thats his only Off day) checking on me. We found out that my feever came from too less Fluids and the hot weather. Amazing that he came in just for me and Check on me, i highly Charge that. Amazing doctor!

The Next day i didnt go on any tour, Drink enough and feeled Great.

One day more in tj and than it was Time to get back home! I was picked up at 8 am and had such a nice Drive with stacy (she had the surgery herself and can give you Tons of advice). We had a very Short wait at the Border (thanks to the medical Pass!) and i was at the Airport at 9:30 am. My Return Flight was from san Diego to Dallas to London Heathrow and back to munich. 24 Hours Travel Time 4 days After surgery. I felt Great! I had ZERO Problems. I had the compression Stocks from the Hospital to avoid blood Cloots. I sipped the whole Flight and arrived relaxed and just happy to be back home!!!!

Overall i had an amazing experience with everybody involved from the Dr. to florence and all bariatricpal Staff.

Today its my two weeks surgervary lol and i lost around 20 pounds! I would recommend everybody to Dr. Altamirano, Jens just amazing.

One Last word: if you Are interested in doing the Surgery you will find our Facebook Support groups. Tha Last days there is some Drama, please let this Not affect your decision of having the surgery or Dr. a. Its ZERO about him. Its just sad that the Group changed like that.

Again: thanks Dr. Altamirano, you gave me back my life!!!!!