Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried Almost New Sleever!

Have my first consult to get started with doc March 7th for the sleeve. I was bound and determined and ready to go...until I watched some videos on you tube. My biggest worries after gastric sleeve are Hair loss, heartburn (gerd), and dumping! Any reassuring thoughts from all you experienced sleevers?

hair loss comes with the territory and is no big deal to most. It can be alarming, but I've rarely seen anyone who actually had to wear a wig or hairpeice. Most of the time it's only really noticeable to you and your hairdresser.

I had GERD before, and it did get worse immediately after. Now at 18 months out, it's very controlled with medication. I've seen some that don't get it at all or even are cured of GERD after surgery.

Sleevers rarely dump. That's more of a bypass issue.

Risks vs benefits, my dear. For me the benefits FAR outweigh the risks. Totally worth it!

I'm just starting my process to get sleeved, but as a hairdresser, I have noticed that my clients that have had the sleeve and take Biotin are way less likely to lose a significant amount of hair compared to those that don't!

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

I am still pre-op, but I believe that hair loss and brittle skin are linked to insufficient Protein - you can address that with careful attention to nutrition, which generally means complying with what the dietary guidelines. I also see a lot of problems with Constipation reported, but hydration is the other thing they harp on, plus you can take a liquid or water-dissolving laxative, or drink prune juice prophyllatically the first few days until you get your rythym established - my guy said once you are going, usually you keep going. I also think Vitamins are going to be important, but you can take liquid Multivitamins or use patch Multivitamin, and watch the Vitamin content of your liquids and semisolids. So.... I have not been through it, but I believe that with careful attention to nutrition and hydration you can avoid the worst of the common issues.

Have my first consult to get started with doc March 7th for the sleeve. I was bound and determined and ready to go...until I watched some videos on you tube. My biggest worries after gastric sleeve are hair loss, heartburn (gerd), and dumping! Any reassuring thoughts from all you experienced sleevers?

Hair loss? check

Heartburn? check

Dumping? check

Approaching my goal weight and being more pain free than I have been in years and years? Priceless!

hair loss isn't as terrible or drastic as it sounds. Protein, Protein, PROTEIN!!!

Plus, remember the people who are the loudest online are the ones who are angry. People go online to complain. Look hard enough and I'm sure some nut who's accused their surgeon of removing their stomach. lol

Take everything with a grain of salt. You'll do great!!

I haven't experienced any noticeable hair loss but I cut my hair short not long after surgery and love it.

No GERD.

I may have experienced dumping once but generally, Sleevers don't usually have that problem, especially once our stomachs have healed.

The key for me is to focus on following my program, getting in all of my Protein and Fluid every day, taking my Vitamins and supplements as directed, avoiding starches and added sugars, eating mindfully, and exercising.

I am still pre-op, but I believe that hair loss and brittle skin are linked to insufficient Protein - you can address that with careful attention to nutrition, which generally means complying with what the dietary guidelines. I also see a lot of problems with Constipation reported, but hydration is the other thing they harp on, plus you can take a liquid or water-dissolving laxative, or drink prune juice prophyllatically the first few days until you get your rythym established - my guy said once you are going, usually you keep going. I also think Vitamins are going to be important, but you can take liquid Multivitamins or use patch Multivitamin, and watch the Vitamin content of your liquids and semisolids. So.... I have not been through it, but I believe that with careful attention to nutrition and hydration you can avoid the worst of the common issues.

You can eat Protein til the cows come home. Hair loss will still happen. You may minimize it, but NOTHING will completely prevent it.

I was eating 60-80 grams of protein a day,and lost hair until a year out.