Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newly banded

Well, morning finally came, an invisible sun lent meager light to a gray and soggy world. I showered, shaved, and brushed my teeth. My little travel bag was already packed, and I put on the loose clothing I had set aside for just this day.

I helped Patty get around, either she was having one of her better days or she was pretending to, just for me. I took off my rings, didn't put on my watch, and she carried my wallet in her purse.

I signed the book in admitting, and they put a hospital Bracelet on me, it had all my info on it, including my age, sigh. alma is a little town, but the biggest one in our rural county. So our hospital is a little bigger than it would seem for a small city like mine. It has to take care of the whole county, you see.

The waiting room was teeming with old people and families waiting for loved ones to come out of surgery. I may never understand that. Patty would wait among them, alone, for me. Inside, that knowledge made me happy, and a little tearful. Someone should have been with her. But she did it........just for me.

Back in a room, divided from the world by a billowing blue curtain-wall, I got as vulnerable as a man can get. I got naked. It's an uneasy feeling, but the crew getting me ready were all people I knew. It is, after all, a small town. When Patty had her roux-en-y I bribed this very crew with chocolate covered strawberries. That was nearly three years ago, I realized.

Soon my abdomen was hair free, and an IV was in my hand (painful bit, that). Then a shot of something and nighty night. Almost immediately I awoke. It was two hours later and I was in a different room. And it was done!

Groggily I contemplated the past and the future. Never before had my own fate felt so securely placed in my own hands. I napped again. Moments later I awoke as I went through the recovery routine. My simplest accomplishment was met with oohs and ahs and praise. It urged me to continue.

Then the room, and the face that I love best staring down at me. A long happy kiss (she'd had coffee!) and a squeeze of the hand. My wife, my love and my truest hero stood before me, with her epidural bag in one hand, and her purse in the other. "You did it!" I was too overcome, and too groggy to talk. I napped again.

Later friends came and said "hi". Patty got tired, and headed home, still no one to be with her other than a good friend who was spending the night at our house. But it would be a couple hours before Becky got there. Patty is the strongest person I know. Still much stronger than I, yet I feel I should protect her. Good old genetics!

The night was interminable, a series of slipping into sleep for mere moments to be awakened by a myriad of raucous interruptions. My roomie talked non-stop the entire night. On the phone, to me, to passers by in the hall, to nurses and aides, and even to himself. Nurses checked on me twice every nano second. One even woke me to ask if I were sleeping well. Bless her pointed little head.

They wanted me to walk. I walked. They wanted me to suck on a blue plastic thing. I felt silly, but I did it. They seemed inordinately interested in my bathroom habits. I told them there are doctors for that sort of obsession. Morning came. The world was in a blanket of fog. The second day in a row that the deer hunters had bad weather for their sport.

Enter the Doc. You can go home if you can hold down liquids and pass the x-ray with dye. I was so thirsty that the dye tasted good. Sad, isn't it? I went back to the room and sipped broth and some coffee. Coffee! My old friend, who had been with me every morning of my life.

There is much less pain than I expected. It is much easier to get around than I expected. All in all it was a good thing. Now I just gotta get my head around the changes that have occured in me.

Those of you not yet banded: It's easier than you think. You're involved in the hard part right now. The decision, the plan, the path to surgery. Those are more stressful than doing the deed.

Thanks to all for all the kind words. The caring. It's time for a little tea now, and maybe a bit of sleep.

Welcome to the banding world!! Congratulations on a successful surgery. I hope you have a quick and speed recovery!

Ryan,

Thank you so much for letting us know how you are! I'm so glad everything went well and can't wait to begin hearing of your great losses! Welcome to bandland my friend!

Ryan, you did it again...your post had me reading with laughter through tears. I am so happy for you and Patty. I think 2005 is going to be a strong, healing year for you both. I will be praying for that for you lovely couple.

"Bless her pointed little head"...I will remember that phrase when I will be following in your footsteps on Nov. 30, and they wake me to ask if I am sleeping okay. Omigod, you are so eliquent. Thanks for the insights, that will help to calm my fears.

My husband cannot get off work as he missed so much time with his motorcycle accident recover this spring, we don't want to make waves as he carries this most wonderful insurance that is covering this for me. So thanksful for that opportunity. Anyway, I digress, my Mom is coming with me and will be so helpful. She is the most positive person I know. I love her dearly and appreciate her excitement for me to be healthy.

Anyway, Ryan, I am thrilled to pieces for you. Please keep us posted. I will be waiting for my next great laughter through tears with your posts. You touch my heart and make me realize how fortunate each of us are to have the opportunity for this surgery and tool, to have each other to open up and share our lives, learn from, laugh with, and love. We are all truly blessed.

So, the mystery has my mind spinning....what do your new initials mean under your picture? Please share... I am bursting with pride for you and much happiness. Your November band sister, Theresa Marie

Yeah, Ryan!!!! :banana :banana :banana Congratulations!!!

I am so glad it has been easy for you. I promise it just gets better every day! You are so right that those not yet banded are going through the hardest part. But it is so worth it to hang in there.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Ryan!!! Congratulations!!!! I am so happy to hear you made it thru and are doing okay. We've all missed you the last day or so. You as always are so elequent with your words even after recovering from surgery. LOL... Best wishes to you and hope you continue to mend perfectly, Teresa

Welcome home Ryan. I'm so glad everything went well for you. You deserve this to be great and I hope it gives you everything you've hoped for.

FYI: I'm a night nurse, but one of a rare few who refuse to wake a patient up to give him/her a sleeping pill... here's hoping the shape of my head stays round...

Ryan, something's gotta be wrong with you because that sounded way too easy. Then again, maybe just traveling to a different country put more stress on me than needed. When I finally got home from crossing the border, airport security, flying, etc., all I wanted to do was lay around! Good for you. Lucky man, lucky wife.

Ryan,

Don't worry about that shrinking too. It doesn't.. I made sure I checked with my Dr before hand. (we all have our priorities). BUT KNOW THE GOOD NEWS:

RYAN..THE MORE YOU LOSE THE BIGGER IT LOOKS.

Hey Ryan...just letting you know that I was thinking about you. Glad to hear you are hanging in there!!

So.... that really does shrink too??????