Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still not hungry

I am 10 weeks post op and still do not have much of an appetite it worries me because I need nutrition to help me heal from the complications with my surgery is it normal?

I think it is normal. Those early months you need to eat food like taking your prescription medications - it serves to keep you healthy. This is your window of opportunity to change your relationship with food.< /p>

My appetite returned around 8 months post op.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BariatricPal

Eating and drinking were an unwelcome chore for 4 months. I never got sick but I was so sick of eating and sipping. But I forced myself to meet Protein and Fluid goals and squeeze in some veggies for good measure. I didn't like eating till I was 6 months, my appetite returned in full force by 10 months, and all those bad cravings and habits came a knockin by 14 months.

So yes, what you are experiencing is normal. And it will change. So take advantage of these early months to create new habits and coping mechanisms. You will need to be armed and ready to face the realities of life when you reach the cold hard stage of maintenance, cause that lasts forever!

I would love to have your issue. I am 5 days post op and I am famished, starving, hungry ALL THE TIME. My stomach even growls during and after eating. Feels like I haven't eaten in a month. I'm drinking 4oz of Soup and could drink the entire can! It's hard to deal with this.

Are you taking a PPI for acid? Acidy tummy feels like hunger sometimes.

Many people feel that "eating is a chore" thing AFTER they move to solid food so more like 4-6 weeks post op.

I would love to have your issue. I am 5 days post op and I am famished, starving, hungry ALL THE TIME. My stomach even growls during and after eating. Feels like I haven't eaten in a month. I'm drinking 4oz of Soup and could drink the entire can! It's hard to deal with this.

It is so weird to not be hungry. I had to really take a look at my relationship with food because I'm just no longer interested. (I'm on purées and soft foods currently but would rather just drink my nutrients and be done).

Sent from my 6045O using BariatricPal

Are you taking a PPI for acid? Acidy tummy feels like hunger sometimes.

Many people feel that "eating is a chore" thing AFTER they move to solid food so more like 4-6 weeks post op.

Hi @

• @
  • Yes, I am taking a PPI, Nexium, I have been on it for about 15 years. I know hunger can be mistaken for acid so unless I'm having acid with no symptoms, I don't think that is the issue. However, I have thought about going and buying an OTC PPI to take in addition to the Nexum to see if it works. Other than this, I don't have any idea WHY I can be so hungry ALL THE TIME, especially when I get upwards of 75-80 g Protein a day. Very frustrated.

What you're experiencing may be acid reflux not hunger? I've read on alot of these posts that the "hunger" feeling is that since the area that produces grehlin the hunger hormone is no longer present in your body.

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal

What you're experiencing may be acid reflux not hunger? I've read on alot of these posts that the "hunger" feeling is that since the area that produces grehlin the hunger hormone is no longer present in your body.

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPa

• @@mamamichelle716 - I am on Nexium and have been for about 15 years. Is it additional reflux? I don't know. Going to the dr. on Tue. Will be asking!

Yes, an acidy stomach DOES mimic the feeling of hunger -- even without any reflux symptoms.

I know. One winter I gained 25 pounds, in part because I got out of the habit of taking my antacid (Ranitidine). Those feelings of hunger were especially tough at night, which is when I ate 25 extra pounds of calories.

BTW, it doesn't take a lot of overeating to gain 25 pounds. Just 500 extra calories per night of whatever (even "healthy" food) will add a pound a week to an already overweight ass -- especially one that's not moving much. 500 calories is roughly a cup of full-fat ice cream; a cheese/meat/mayo sandwich; a second serving of most dinner leftovers; half a tube of Pringles, etc.