Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of not waking up!

I never been under anesthesia three weeks exact till my surgery and I have fears of not waking up!did any of you have those kind of fears??how did you deal with them!??

Yep, I did...

This was my first time under anesthetic so I had some major fears...

I dealt with them by simply telling myself that the slim chance of dying on the table was much better than the certain death I was facing if I continued to be fat...

I've had 7 surgeries that required anesthesia.

It's no biggie.

I was a little more apprehensive about this last sleeve surgery + umbilical hernia repair due to a back injury that was hurting pretty bad. Fears of pain and laying in awkward positions post-op. Turns out it was not bad at all.

My surgeon had ordered a Valium for me to take upon arrival. I was chilled out and relaxed throughout the hours leading up to surgery. Perhaps you can have such a conversation with your surgeon.

The meds they used on the surgery were out of my system very nicely as I woke up in the recovery room. I was fairly clearheaded and awake when I made it to my room. I could hear the doctor telling my wife that my sleeve went in textbook style and I did great. Overhearing that was very reassuring.

You are going to do great and it will simply be like taking a nice nap.

The long term health aspects of obesity are far worse than the chance of something going wrong while under anesthesia.

Let the surgical team know your concerns ahead of time, they will accommodate you and keep you relaxed.

Maybe you can meet with the anesthesiologist before the surgery to talk to them for a few minutes to put your mind at ease?

I read a really good article by a doctor ( sorry I cannot find now ) which basically said the risk of death from anaesthesia in a WLS patient was about the same as a HEALTHY woman dying when giving birth ! I found that extraordinary as no one would worry about dying when going into labour.

It put things into perspective for me and I found my fears less.

I don't worry about not waking up. Rather I worry about being put under, unable to move, but still able to feel everything that is happening.

Not to fear monger, but most complications and death occur AFTER the surgery, not while you're under.

I know that probably didn't make you feel any better....lol.

I just came to terms with it before surgery. First of all with all the invasive pre-op testing they put me through, I thought my chances of dying were radically slim. Worse than that, the pre-op testing convinced me that I would live a long time mordbidly obese and gaining and losing for another 30 or so years. Ugh. So I decided dying why I was young and pretty still with my hair freshly done was worth the risk. Added bonus I felt the only way I would die would be malpractice, so at last my family would have some cash.

It is a real fear, and what people tell you won't help you get over it. You have to work through it in your mind and come to terms with surgery. The fear is partially real fear probably and a little self sabotage.

That was also one of my fears, but I was fine. You will be fine too! I'm going on 10 months p/o, no regrets!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches