Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve and sushi?

Hello everyone. Some friends and I want to go to a sushi place to Celebrate a birthday. I was wondering if anyone with sleeve has been able to sushi. The rices they use is different so idk if it will go ok. The seafood would have lots of protien and it's always yummy. Anyone have any history or suggestions for this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bigtime sushi lover, here.

4 months post-sleeve and I've yet to try it post-op.

Closest thing I've had are some wasabi almonds. Not very close, at all............

I'm just not wanting any rice. No desire.

Now.....the raw salmon & shrimp would be killer.

I won't eat rice cuz it scares me. I have had two people told me the only time they threw up was with rice. I guess it expands in the stomach and makes you fuller.

Yes I know the rice can do that but sushi rice is a bit harder and drier so idk if it would absorb as much liquid.. not sure. But the raw shrimp and salmon would be great. I have been eating a lot of seafood lately and was hoping sushi would work. May have to try some at home before this dinner and see how it goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Starting eating sashimi (raw fish, no rice) at 2 months. Personally, I'm avoiding simple carbs like rice -- I suppose requesting brown rice would be better? Even better, sushi made with no rice at all -- cucumber or seaweed wrap instead.

I've eaten sushi with rice and with seaweed wrap at 4 months post op. No problems at all.

I've eaten regular sushi but I only ate two pieces. I prefer sashimi or ask if they can make the sushi without rice and wrapped in cucumber or radish instead. Enjoy!

How far out are you? I LOVE sushi and eat it all the time with no problems whatsoever. Ok, there is one big problem.....I can only eat 2-3 pieces before I'm stuffed :(. Always leaves me wanting more.

you can ask them to make you "hand rolls" without rice. its really yummy and fills that craving. :-)

I go for sushi regularly. My favorite place makes a great sushi roll wrapped in thinly sliced cucumber and it's delicious. Even better, then make what they call Kani salad and I would guess most sushi restaurants do the same. It's the filling of the spicy crab roll, served on a bed of shredded cucumber and topped with a little tempura flake. I add Sriracha mayo to mine and love it. It's light and refreshing and delish.

At two months I wasn't eating any carbs like rice, but like others said, there's plenty of non-rice sushi options.

4 1/2 years out and still can not tolerate rice--not even a wee bit.

I love sushi, but never eat the rice. --and I eat the ginger with it always.

Ginger calms the gut.

Go and enjoy your night out. If in doubt, don't try the rice for the first time in public.

Stay healthy and let us know how your evening went.

At two-months post op you are medically cleared to have sushi. Keep in mind though what the others have said that the rice makes you feel very full, very quickly. Just the fish portion is a great source of Protein and very low in calories. A lot of rolls they can make with cucumber as the outside instead of rice, or just the rice paper. I periodically have a sushi roll with the fake crab, cream cheese, and rice exterior, however I buy the whole roll and only eat three pieces at a time because otherwise I end up barfing because the rice just blows up my stomach. Prior to surgery I loved regular sushi, but my sleeve is not tolerant of fish anymore- not cooked, not raw, not inside of sushi rolls- nothing, so I stick to fake crab and call it a day.