Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 months after surgery- a couple of questions

Hello , my name is Annabel I am 22 and 9 months ago after a lot of thought decided to have weight loss surgery for someone who cannot remember being anything but big this seemed a good option. Although initially i had a lot of problems despite all of these issues i would do it all again. I have now lost 37 kilos so 81.5 pounds and my weightloss has stopped for about a month. I was wondering can anyone guide me on what it will be like ? And when will it start moving again...

I am here for anyone who has any questions or would like to hear about my experience. Before my surgery i had never spoken or seen anyone who had gone through it so i felt like everything was new and all alone...

So if anyone could shed light on my question.. And i am more than happy to help anyone .. I am really new to this app just downloaded it this morning... Its amazing !!

Annabel

That's so nice of you! Really, I love reading this. If I didn't already have a sleeve, I'd definitely be taking advantage of your generous offer:)

Guidance is hard to give when we don't know what you are eating or how much? Like, how many calories do you eat each day? Are you eating a lot of carb-heavy foods? Are you snacking and grazing? Drinking your calories? Are you meeting your Protein goals? How much food do you eat at one sitting?

Hello ,

firstly thank you for responding. I don't count my calories but i have begun to. I am not eating more than i should and stop immediately once i feel full.. My portions are still very small.. Which is not a problem i don't really calculate the Protein in my food i just try to eat a balanced diet . I drink about 1.1L of Water a day and a couple of green teas. I have just been stable not gaining nor loosing any weight. I was wondering how ling this period is for ?

I dont know if that helps..

Thanks for taking the time to respond

I don't know what "a balanced diet" means. I am down 78 lbs in 5 months. I have been logging since the day after my orientation and monitoring Protein since surgery. I eat about 1,000 calories a day and unless I focus on eating mostly Protein rich foods, I don't hit 70 grams. Eating 4 ounces of meat without getting full is tough and 4 ounces is only about 20 grams of protein.

Also, a liter of Water and a cup of tea is less than 50 ounces of Water. You need to drink at least 64.

I'm not sure how big you are, but I suspect you're not hitting your water or protein goals.

Edited by Cape Crooner

Balanced diet means meat vegatables and very small amount of carbs. Maybe i need to drink more ... Its very difficult.. As for how big i am.. I have exceeded my surgeons goals for me however in order to become of a normal weight with a normal bmi i need to loose another 10 kilos/ 22 pounds or so .. Ill be happy with around 8 kilos 16 pounds I have just stayed the same for 2 months and was warned about this happening but just not told how long it will happen for....

Water is my favourite and only drink normal tea and coffee i hate so i try and drink the green tea..

The Protein is so difficult as i eat about 4-6 tablespoons of food and then full ... But i am trying to .

So my question is did you have the same waiting period where you stopped loosing weight ? If so how long for ?

From post up 9 months to the year mark how much weight did you loose.. In the last 3 months..

If you don't mind how long have ago was the op ?

I have never counted calories, ever. I do watch on my Protein powder and shakes, what the calories are vs the Protein. Just because I know some are so full of calories. I don't measure portions any longer either. My tip was to get those plastic containers with lids for storage that have the ounces on the bottom. That way I knew when making food for lunch and supper, what the size was just by the size of the container.

I will tell you that when I stalled...for months (which is very normal!) I would add some carbs into my diet. I found that if my body thought it was starving, it held onto the weight. If I added some carbs, whether mashed or soft potatoes, or bread, etc, I'd start losing again. It's like you have to trick your brain into thinking you're not starving and you're fine. Even today, almost a year out, I still find this happening. I was at a stall for several months, which never bothered me, and over the holidays I ate things I normally don't..like homemade mac and cheese...cheesy potatoes. I don't eat much of them, maybe 2 oz if that...but it's enough that over the holidays I broke my stall and have lost another 5lbs!

Omg thats amazing... Because its my first stall it just worries me... But ok i don't try to diet just eat like an average person just very small quantities ... Thank you for your response ill let you know how i get on :)

Annabel