Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Best and the Worst: Your Weight Loss Surgery MEDICAL SERVICE Experience

My worst experiences would have to be with the bariatric coordinator at the office. She would not return phone calls or emails and if you were able to catch her, she acted like it was a HUGE bother to answer your questions. I finally got fed up enough to threaten to report her to the office manager. Things got a bit better after that. When I was in the hospital waiting, my surgery was delayed and no one informed me as to what was going on. I finally lost it on one of the nurses who apologized profusely. The anesthesiologist was a bit of an ass who did not acknowledge my presence. The nurses were pretty great except one. I was in extreme pain and it was past the time for my pain meds. I called and she told me she would be back in 5 minutes. Thirty minutes later, she still wasn't back. I ended up getting a new nurse for the duration of the shift.

The best: the surgeon did an amazing job. I had minimal pain from gas (walking as soon as I was able after surgery and as often as possible) and minimal pain from the incisions. I have not had any issues with throwing up. I was back to exercising and back to work within a week. I would deem it a success. Please note: I'm only a month out.

The most annoying the On-Q pump which i was grateful for in hindsight and the Lovenox shots (needle phobic).

You were and are exercising only a week after surgery? Are you Psychotic? Seriously, lol. wow.

I felt strong enough. I didn't push myself too hard and only started back to lifting weights this week. My doc saw no harm as long as I was careful. I was also told no weight over ten pounds and no ab work. I have been doing high rep low weight so nothing over ten pounds.

I may be a little nuts lol

Best thing about the experience - TriCare covered the surgery 100%. I didn't have to pay one dime to anyone and they took very good care of me.

Worst thing about the surgery - the pain afterwards....

Wow, thanks for sharing! These are some pretty deep stories – good and bad. The bad ones just make me shudder, and feel so proud of each of you who was able to overcome rude or incompetent or demeaning healthcare professionals and borderline terrifying medical experiences! And the good ones make me so grateful that there are good, competent, compassionate people in the field of bariatrics.