Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Awful smelling stool and gas

I am in tears. I had duodenal switch 4 months ago. doing great on weight. My family is making fun of me. My stool and gas is so bad the house is awful.
Family members often suck because of many factors including envy! Get some of that spray stuff for the bathroom and move on! You are doing great! Congrats!!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm curious if you're eating a lot of sugar alcohols...? Maltitol, Sorbitol, Erythritol ... ETC. Prior to my DS surgery I realized that these sugar substitutes gave me horrendous foul gas. The worst I've ever experienced. So, I'd cut them out way before surgery.

These sweeteners are in a lot of Protein Shakes, Protein Bars and other food stuffs popular with WLS patients.

This would include the very popular Oikos Triple Zero yogurt everyone loves because it's so high in Protein, because even chicory root sweetener does it to me.

I'm nine weeks post op and I'm not free of gas by any means, but I don't consider the gas or stool I have to be any different than it was pre-op. This is with the exception of the first day I tried romaine lettuce. I was a toxic mess of gas that day.

Ok had the same thing. Dr said it was too much bile going into the gut causing loose stools, diarrhea and foul, very foul smelling stool. Dr gave me colestipol prescription granules and all of it disappeared overnight so after months and months of all this, the colestipol stopped it in one day. Anyway I now am down to once or twice a week taking the colestipol and I am normal again. No diarrhea, no loose stool, no foul smelling stools and no more very foul constant gas etc no nothing. Ps if I don’t take granules at least once a week it will come back in 2-3 days all the foul everything. But once I take it again it goes away in a day. The exact name of my prescription is colestipol hydrochloride for oral suspension 500 grams

Edited by theshop62
Added gas

Hey! I’ve seen it’s been a few years now. Have your gas and stool smell subsided? I had DS 3 weeks ago and I can’t stand the smell never mind my family!

On 1/9/2016 at 6:46 PM, Pamela Raab Campbell said:

I am in tears. I had duodenal switch 4 months ago. doing great on weight. My family is making fun of me. My stool and gas is so bad the house is awful.

Hey! I’ve seen it’s been a few years now. Have your gas and stool smell subsided? I had DS 3 weeks ago and I can’t stand the smell never mind my family!

12 hours ago, Uniquely Me said:

What are you eating? Simple carbs? They tend to make stool and gas smell much worse. I use this for the bathroom. It's great.

I carry a spray vial of perfume in my back pants pocket to spray my butt, so if I have gas the smell doesn't linger in my pants. But I almost never have it in public bc I don't eat simple carbs during the day as I don't eat them till I get home. If your family doesn't like the smell, I hope they knew what they were signing up for.

TDS 2005

2 hours ago, Postop said:

What are you eating? Simple carbs? They tend to make stool and gas smell much worse. I use this for the bathroom. It's great.

I carry a spray vial of perfume in my back pants pocket to spray my butt, so if I have gas the smell doesn't linger in my pants. But I almost never have it in public bc I don't eat simple carbs during the day as I don't eat them till I get home. If your family doesn't like the smell, I hope they knew what they were signing up for.

TDS 2005

The only things I’ve eaten are yogurt, eggs Protein Shakes and I had 2 string cheese for the first time yesterday. I will definitely buy that spray. Thank you!

On 11/30/2021 at 2:43 PM, Uniquely Me said:

The only things I’ve eaten are yogurt, eggs Protein Shakes and I had 2 string cheese for the first time yesterday. I will definitely buy that spray. Thank you!

Double check what is in the shakes. See if there are sugar alcohols.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:34 PM, Postop said:

Double check what is in the shakes. See if there are sugar alcohols.

I will check to see if there are any sugar alcohols. Are there any Protein Shakes you would recommend or do you make your own? Thanks

I haven’t really had any shakes for many years; the exception being this summer when I had to have a few. Then I went back to what I used my first 2 years which was chocolate Muscle Milk. I liked it bc it was premade and came in small bottles. I don’t think it had sugar alcohols but I’m not 100% sure.

That’s normal, and I do the exact same problem, too in the past when I had my DS in July 2021..my surgeon/nurse warned me that I will have a lot of problems with gas and odor stool, etc. the best way to do is for you to get Gas-X or any other things, etc. As long as if you were lactose intolerant or not, then you needs get Lactaid (sp?).

On 07/10/2021 at 23:57, SeattleLady said:

Family members often suck because of many factors including envy! Get some of that spray stuff for the bathroom and move on! You are doing great! Congrats!!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

⬆️ THIS!
Congratulations on how great you are doing! And until your family starts farting and pooping rainbows, stars, rose petals and pink marshmallows, I’d tell them to take a hike! Seriously!
Wear a mask and clean your toilet to within an inch of its life…scrub everywhere. Once it’s clean and you are taking preventive measures to ameliorate odors, enjoy the success you are having with your health and weight.

This will pass. I used to keep a spray in my bag but I don't need to anymore. Another thing that helps is to flush while you're going which seems to whisk the odors down the drain instead of lingering around you.

I keep matches in the bathroom at home but don't need to use them every time.