Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't tolerate protein drinks

I'm getting worried reading what others have written. I am 4 weeks out from bypass. I was on Protein Drinks before surgery and tolerated it fine, but since surgery, I cannot stand the taste, smell or consistency of the new Protein Shakes. I've tried many brands but I gag and feel awful if I get any down. So I stopped drinking Protein and started to accelerate my diet. I've been very lucky because I haven't had any problems post op, but at 4 weeks out, I'm eating more foods than I should have. I'm hungry alot since I have to eat my protein, and fear I won't lose weight. I've lost about 25 lbs since starting the protein before surgery. Anyone else have these problems with protein drinks? Will I still lose weight if I'm eating more? Since I can only eat a little at a time, I feel like I'm eating more often than I should. Comments?

Edited by waterbaby

After surgery, my taste buds changed and many things that I liked to eat before surgery became intolerable. I don't like to drink Protein shakes. To me the term is a misnomer because it sounds like a milk shake and it is anything but a milk shake when it comes to taste.

Having said this, it is extremely important that you experiment and find a Protein supplement that you can tolerate. That is an important word "TOLERATE". It doesn't mean that you have to like it, only be able to drink it. So let's discuss Protein Shakes. They come in powder form and premixed. I went with the powder form. I used Muscle Milk Light (vanilla Creme) powder. Flavoring is important. I loved chocolate prior to surgery but not after. I found that I could not hand mix the powder - it would clump together and taste terrible. So I bought a blender. For me a Ninja blender with a single serving cup worked very well. Later I found that I could blend in a half a banana into the Protein Shake and it increased the flavor. In the long term you will be able to get off the protein shakes as your meal volume increases - if you concentrate on consuming high protein meals. But NOW you are defeating the surgery and your potential weight loss goals. Also there are so many different types of protein shakes available, you need to experiment and try the different compositions and flavors available. There are also protein powders that can be added to meals to up the protein content.

@@waterbaby

I had the same problem after surgery. I had spent a small portion on powders only to find out I would gag and ultimately vomit.

There is no possible way that you can eat enough at this point to give you the Protein you need to stay healthy. You can become malnourished very easily by not getting the right amount of Protein in your system and worse your body must have it to heal and to lose the weight you intended to.

Sorry for the tough love here but it is time to pull up your big girl panties and find yourself a supplement that works for you.

When this happened to me, my surgeon recommended trying Premier Protein ready made shakes. The texture and grit is gone as is all the prep from the powders. The smell of whey protein is gone they are not overly sweet and they have a whopping 30 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar and 160 calories in 1 (11) oz. shake.

For me that meant I could drink 1 a day and get the rest in food or at most 1 1/2. They have little covers on them so you can refrigerate the rest.

Honestly for me the chocolate is the best because it is not cloyingly sweet but the strawberry is not bad for a change. They also have vanilla but for me that was too sweet.

You can get small packs at Walmart and some Walgreens or you can get them at costco or Sam's in bigger bulk cases. costco has them on sale this month for 5.00 off an 18 pack this month.

I'm not sure why, but they removed Premier Protein from the recommended Protein Drink options. I've read a lot of posts, and so many people use this brand. I'm seeing my nutritionist tomorrow so I will check again. I'm thinking, it MUST be better than no Protein at all. Has anyone tried Arbonne protein drinks? Anyone else intolerant to whey protein? What other kind of protein have people tried?

I'm not sure why, but they removed premier Protein from the recommended Protein drink options. I've read a lot of posts, and so many people use this brand. I'm seeing my nutritionist tomorrow so I will check again. I'm thinking, it MUST be better than no protein at all. Has anyone tried Arbonne protein drinks? Anyone else intolerant to whey protein? What other kind of protein have people tried?

I'm intolerant to whey protein. Within 30 minutes it gives me awful diarrhea. I loved the taste of Premier Protein but don't know what to do now for protein until I start a pureed diet next week.

Sorry just realized this is a bypass forum. Would still like to know whey alternatives.

Edited by RioNan

You can always add in a squirt of sugar-free Torani Syrup to change the flavor. I use Almond, Coconut, and Black Cherry the most but I went overboard and bought eight different ones.

My doc still recommends Premier Protein for the liquid portion of the diet. I like the vanilla as it's easy to alter taste with sugar free Syrup. I also bought instant Decaf coffee and dissolve a small amount in hot Water then add to the drink.

Also HATE calling them "shakes". Nope, not even close.

The program that I am in also recommends Premier Protein. I find that it tastes better at room temp instead of cold, but that is a personal preference.

Muscle milk chocolate lactose free has low carb high Protein. It's the ONLY one I can drink. I couldn't stomach the smell etc of any other ones. You may try these. You can find them at gas stations, Walmart and sometimes GNC. Hope this helps.