Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am being sleeved on 12/21/2015 – would it be a BAD idea to go the family Christmas get together? (They don’t know I am getting sleeved)

You can probably go but you will have to explain why you aren't eating or drinking anything and why you act lethargic.

I really don't understand the female mind frame of always trying to keep weight loss surgery a secret. Men usually don't have this problem.

That's kind of a privilege of being a male. Overweight women are pariahs--we are assumed to be lazy, have weak character, etc. I'm not telling anyone (not a single person) because people are nasty, judgmental, rude... I don't need anyone telling me how to eat, or what I should or shouldn't do about my body. For some reason though it happens all the time. "Are you sure you want to eat that?" "Have you ever bought a slow cooker? You can just fill it up with lean Proteins and vegetables in the morning and have a healthy meal at the end of the day!" "I can show you some easy workout routines." These things are always UNSOLICITED.

I get that all the time! - Recently I got tired of it and called a 'friend' out on him telling me what I need to do and what I shouldn't be doing. He had asked about me going to the gym and when I told him I didn't go that day - he became very condescending and was like You can't skip like that - you need to do it and just go... I told him that I wasn't accountable to him or anyone but myself - I go with a friend to the gym and when she doesn't go - I don't go. He got all defensive about how he was just trying to support me and all that jazz... He needs to find another way to be supportative because that ain't it. He's another one that isn't fine with me having surgery and I quite frankly don't care.

I like having a gym partner and when I want to go by myself I do - but usually her break days are at the same time as mine - while I just explained all that here. I Don't feel I should have to explain it to him or anyone else. I only did so here because it adds to the story.

I know I still felt like crap 4 days post op. Even if you feel pretty good, you will probably still be tired (or lethargic like the person above said) and you won't be able to eat anything. I was still on liquids on day 4. However, if you want to go, I say go for it. If anyone asks you why you aren't eating, you can always say that you've got a stomach ache, don't feel well, already ate, etc. I was sleeved on 9/30 and ate very little at Thanksgiving. Only two people noticed and I told them I was trying to diet and eat less.

I wouldn't go. My reasoning is due to all the food/drink temptation. jake

I took a stance toward this surgery that I thought I never would....I told EVERYONE close to me!! I simply asked myself, "what did keeping a secret regarding a past weight loss attempt do for me?" The answer was NOT A DAMN THING! I know I was afraid of failure and any ridicule that would follow if I didn't meet my weight loss goal. When contemplating this procedure, however, I realized that I cannot take this journey alone! I need the support of my friends and family to be successful! Regarding your Christmas party, my advice would be to attend and, if you are comfortable, allow it to be a plateform to let those that should love and care about you know that you are preparing for a surgery that will save your life!

Late to this party, but I can tell you I felt like I'd been hit by a truck for almost 2 weeks. The last thing I wanted to do was go to a party, unless it was a nap party. :)

Well, did you go to the family function?

No but I cold have

Regrets? Did you wish you did go? Or no big deal?

It's funny, I had virtually no effects from the surgery, I had the doctor make the stomach a little bigger than usual, because my BMI was 29 at the time of the surgery I did not want to lose too much weight. I felt tremendous have no restrictions pain