Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I won't regret this...right?

@@JengaBee I think you will find in the long run that the surgery is well worth it. I am 4 months post op and I don't regret it at all.

I am not going to lie to you...This is one of the tougher things you will do. I can't tell you how many times I have tried a new food and gotten sick. It is downright awful and painful, but it is so worth it.

I walked out of the Hospital off my blood pressure medicine which I didnt think was possible. The close I wore before the surgery now look downright silly. Sometimes I wear them just so I know where I was.

If we could lose weight on our own we would, This surgery was the only option for me.

@@JengaBee, @@RollingRing, @ pink 22 and anyone else.

I'm 6 weeks out, the first week was the hardest for me. I questioned myself about surgery, but the doubt never lasted long. My recovery went smoothly. I would forget and needed to be reminded I just had surgery. The night before surgery I started a notebook called "The next Chapter, began on October 28, 2015" I wrote down everything I was thinking, feeling and accomplishments. Anything that crossed my mind it probably doesn't even make sense. I continue to use this notebook. I try to write in it daily. I have decided I will not look at any of the entries until my one year mark. That way I can look back at my feelings and appreciate everything I have accomplished. Now this isn't for everyone. But it worked for me. There will be difficult days. I felt like you do, up to the night of surgery. Do I really want this, do I really need this? I had to accept the fact I wouldn't have worked this hard to make it happen if it's not something I want or need. The whole process took a year for me to complete. (Insurance hoops)

I would do it again.

Just know it's okay, you planned to do this for a reason, you started this process for a reason. Trust yourself.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

You won't regret it. I had my surgery September 10th. I've lost 60 lbs and I'm on goal to lose 80 more to be 120 lbs, which is my goal. It is hard one of the hardest things you will ever do. You will have ups and downs but in the end it's worth it. You won't miss the person you used to be, you'll never want to go back. I can now sit in a movie theater seat, fit in xl pants instead of xxxl, wear a size 9 shoe instead of 10, I'm able to stand on my feet all day without pain. You might have regrets in the beginning but in he end you will be thankful that you had the strength to do it.

I agree, this was a helpful thread. I am having the sleeve 12/16 and having the natural nervousness. Thanks to everyone for sharing! I can't wait to come back soon and share my success. Good luck to all those with upcoming procedures.

Very helpful thread. My surgery is tomorrow and I'm just now starting to get jitters. I feel like I could cry now so I can only imagine after surgery when I'm even more hormonal.

Thank you every one that has posted, my surgery is 1/13/16 and I'm terrified. This helped a lot!!

@@Ravend26 My surgery is tomorrow too! I'm so nervous, I can't sleep it's so hard tonight! I'm a mom & every time I talk to my four-year-old about what I'm doing tomorrow, that I'm going to be spending the night away from home the thought is in the back of the mind that it's possible that I won't be coming home :( I've never had surgery before and I know there are risks. I've been looking forward to this for so long, I've been so much more scared of what's going to come after than the actual surgery but tonight it's a different story. Tomorrow I hope my excitement for the whole procedure comes back before I get there. This is possibly one of the best decisions I've ever made I'm sure. Best of luck with your surgery! Soon enough we'll be the wise women that have succeeded :D

One of the best decisions I have made. I will admit, I was jittery and ready to change my mind the week before surgery. Knowing that I could never (should never) eat those "comfort foods" again. I am 2 months out today and feel great! I am down 46 pounds and only 9 pounds from "ONEDERLAND" I can't wait to see those numbers on the scale again! It;s been a long time. I have not had any complications and had no pain when i left the hospital. I am sure my regrets would be different if complications and pain plagued me.

Good luck to you and everyone else that has responded with jitters

Leading up to my surgery, I became a basket case! I couldn't sleep well, I was worried about things going wrong and my biggest fear was that I would die and leave my 7 kiddos without a mom. The day of surgery though, I walked in there and I was zen. I don't know if it was the prayers to God to take away my fear and protect me and my family through the surgery or if it was just some inner peace or whatever, but when I went back for surgery I was absolutely calm and cool and had 0 fears. My surgery went smooth except for some trouble staying oxygenated after waking up from the pain meds suppressing my breathing, but really my recovery was quite easy! I went home without needing any pain meds. I'm 1 month out as of Dec 9th, and I don't regret it at all! I'm down 2 top sizes and one pant size and I can move around more and do more and I feel great! There is a period right after surgery where I had regret because I had to deal with my head hunger and my "we always do this" attitude, but it got better. It really is like being reborn to some degree.

What a great question.

I was so scared of the surgery and it took a lot of time to make the decision to have the surgery.

Now I am so glad to put on clothes that actually just go on and now fighting to getting them on.

The scale is not as scary anymore. I am so glad I did this. It took time to make it, but I am

very happy I did. No regrets at all!!!

To be honest, I did regret it several times over the first 3 months. I remember someone posting this same question when I was probably 5ish weeks out and I answered that yes I regretted it. Having said that, at 107 pounds down and off diabetes meds (right out of the hospital) and my stricture being fixed, I absolutely do not regret it. I still question sometimes if I did the right thing (always wondering if I will be able to maintain the loss) but not regret. Even having lost my job last week and facing unknown unemployment, I still have been able to NOT run to food for comfort is the biggest victory of all. I do have my days that are a little more rough than others but not at all as I felt when I responded that first time 5 months ago.

As you have read, the fears are normal. Just keep working the program. Come here and learn and vent and cheer on others and be cheered on by others. And to me, most important - don't stop meeting with your nutritionist or counselor!

I am 4 weeks post-op today! YEAH! I think I have had a charmed recovery because I have had NO issues. Except for the scars and eating less food, I sometimes wonder if they really did surgery or this is just a mind game! That being said, I wish I had done this sooner. I am 44 now and I can't believe all the things I didn't realize I was avoiding because of my weight. I've lost nearly 30 so far and am hoping to be cleared for exercise at my 4 week appointment tomorrow so I can keep this downward trajectory going. My goal is about half of my starting weight so I have some work to do! Just keep at everything the docs and nuts tell you and look for the positive. There's a line in Lion King that I always loved. Rafiki hits Simba over the head with a stick and Simba wants to know why. Rafiki wisely responds, "who cares? Its in the past!" Or something to that extent. I know it is still a couple of days in front of you, but soon it will be past and you can move forward. Always move forward!

pam

I know those jitters! Don't let them stop you from living your best life. I had my bypass Sept. 10th of this year. I am 54. In three months I have lost 52pds! It is still by far the best decision I ever made! Soooooo glad I didn't listen to those jitters! Let's do this! My prayers are with you!

I have the pre-op jitters too and my RNY is scheduled for 12/21. Once you are this close to surgery it is normal to doubt yourself I think, but trust in you that if you didn't really wanted this surgery you would have not stuck through the long process to get even this far. Keep the eyes on the prize of a healthier and happier YOU! Good luck with your surgery!!