Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breaking Up..........with my sleep machine!

This has been a long relationship with plenty of ups and downs along the way. Love/Hate comes to mind. Before surgery I composed a list of goals and getting rid of the CPAP is on there twice. Being hooked up to a device drove me nuts at times, but over the years I also gained a certain amount of security from it. The white noise of the swooshing air helped get me back to sleep during my frequent wake-ups in the night but a lot of the time it was the machine itself waking me up (not being strapped on properly, the nose pillows coming loose, etc.). We went away for three nights and it was wonderful not having to pack up my machine and set it all up in the hotel room. I gave it a few more days as an experiment once home, and while I plan to keep it in a closet somewhere just in case I am delighted to have it off of my bedside table. Yippee!

Oh, and I looked up my measurements to check: I have lost 2 inches off of my neck. That's a lot, for a neck. My waist? This one is kind of a shocker: 8 inches. Wow! No more Mrs. Winnie-the-Pooh and no more CPAP.

Some relationships are better off broken up and this would definitely be one! Congrats!

@@Bandista

No more looking like Darth Vader in bed !!! Big NSV .I hope you are sleeping and breathing better now.

Yeah! I just broke up with mine too!

I could have stopped using it 6 months ago but I had a real problem getting used to not using it. For me it was a comfort having it. Then I was finally on the lowest pressures possible (mine was Bi-pap) and the damn thing get waking me up because the pressure was still too high.

So, I started one day at a time and then I would ask my husband if I snored. He said not at all. I kept it at my bedside for another 2 months but did not use it. So last week I let him pack it away.

It is so nice not having all that crap strapped to your face when trying to sleep.

Congratulations to all of us that no longer look like airplane pilots when we sleep!

@@Bandista, Pooh-Bear's loss, but I'll bet that the machine was a lousy lover anyway. With two inches off your neck, your necklace hangs longer. Have you noticed?

"Yippee!" indeed.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Congratulations !!!!

@@Djmohr congratulations to you, too! And we can snooze on planes without fear of snoring, phew, that's a big NSV, OMG.

I also broke up with mine, but I took mine back to the medical supply place, and I fired my pulmonologist (who told me not to have the surgery because I wasn't BIG enough) he was a dip$hit!

@@Bandista --

Oh, yeah, collar bones are sexy, aren't they? When I first saw them (but I've since gone in reverse), I was probably doing a collar-bone equivalent of duckface. I'll get 'em back. In the meantime enjoy them for me, too.

You should be tested before you stop using your cpap machine.

Congratulations, I was lucky and didn't need to have one.... theyb told me, I was really close to needing one. Congratulations, so happy for you.

i was supposed to be wearing cpap, but never could tolerate it due to extreme claustrophobia etc. but since my neck went from a 24 to a 16, i dont have any issues anymore. what a difference a year makes. and i had the UPPP surgery a few years back to help with sleep apnea, not something i would ever reccomend.

I can't wait to break up with mine!! I've only been using it for about 2 months and I Hate it!!! Can't wait to have the surgery and hopefully soon no longer need it!

@@PayItForward -- thank you! Very good point. I know I should make an appointment for another sleep study but I have been dragging my heels (and wanting to lose 10-15 first).