Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve failure?

I worried because I was hungry (but it was actually reflux in disguise), and because I could very easily eat 250ml of Soup in 20 minutes, which was the suggested time by my dietician. However, once I've started pureed foods the restriction came in.

Soups, and an other liquid, very easily goes through your sleeve.

M&S,

There can be a few reasons why people say the sleeve “failed” even if it hasn’t. One is unreasonable or failed expectations – like smcbee79 said, you can still be hungry after it even if you were hoping the sleeve would get rid of your hunger.

Another possible disappointment might be expecting that the sleeve would make you not like junk food anymore, and then finding that you still have a taste for sweets or fatty foods.

Yes, a lot of patients wonder if their sleeve didn’t work because of stalls, but they’re part of the journey! Stalls will happen, no matter what. It’s really hard to take a long-term perspective, even if you’ve told yourself you’re going to be patient and this will take years. In the moment, when the scale doesn’t go down for a few days or weeks, it is easy to start to wonder if the sleeve “failed.”

You’re actually at one of the hardest parts of the journey – at two weeks out, you haven’t eaten much so you’re not feeling great. This is also when a lot of patients get their first “stall,” and it can be a brutal one because a lot of patients have lost SO MUCH weight in the past couple weeks that the body needs time to catch up – and hence the scale doesn’t move.

The only thing you can do post-op is look forward – ask yourself what you can do today to make yourself healthier and to see the scale move down when it’s ready. You can only control your own behaviors now – the sleeve is a done deal!

I learned a lot about the "the stall"..I have been experiencing the same issues and found that the more I stress, the worse I feel. I have been at 216 now for another three weeks..At first, I cried, then I became very depressed. I spoke to my doctor and he continues to reassure me that this is how our bodies are adapting the Protein and our "pouch".. I have been feeling very fatigued and restless; my energy level is very low. I cannot handle plain Water so my doc recommended the crystal light, I have been able to get in more liquids. My primary doctor is concerned about my Vit.B12..I had asked my surgeon and he says everything is ok..On a higher note, I know I am losing inches; just not moving the scale. I will be praying for everyone...patience is a virtue..and unfortunately, we tend to want a lot faster; at least I do. So hopefully we will all work through our stalls and remember that it took us years to put on this weight..Blessings and prayers to all. PS; any helpful feedback is welcome./ Theresa from Delaware.....

I would encourage you to track your intake, if you are not already. I've had a great experience and am only 6 days out since surgery, but can easily drink 16 ounces of Soup in a half hour. I was thinking mine must have been too big, but when I've tracked calories, I haven't got 1000 any day. And I've lost 8 pounds this week. Keep focused on numbers.

LOVE my sleeve 4 months out. Down 87 lbs. no more BP meds, fit into theater seats, jog 2-3 miles 2x per week, swim 1-1.5 miles at least once per week. Am never hungry, energy way up. Hoping to be done with sleep Apnea soon. Best decision ever!!