Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Can't find a protein drink that I can tolerate!

Every flavor of Chike Nutrition's Protein powder has been great to me.

I mix it with Water and ice. All good stuff.

The only Protein Powder I've run across that I didn't like was powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury strawberry. It was horrid and I threw the can away after trying to choke down the first few ounces of it. That being said, other folks here rave about it. Just goes to show how tricky and varied our tastes can be.

Post-op I feel that I could really enjoy the more bland flavors best. Sipping things slowly really gives you time to register the flavors. The stuff that is overly sweetened or overly anything really stands out more post op.

Bariatric Advantage has some bland powders that worked well for me, too.

I will be starting my liquid pre-op liquid diet soon. The purpose is to shrink my liver so it has to be low carb (6-7 carbs max) & high Protein (min 15 g) all-liquids to help clean out my intestines.

Problem is, all the Protein drinks I've tried literally nauseate me. Some even give me an immediate headache.

Obviously I have to find something, and fast!

Here are the drinks I've tried:

- Premier Protein (ready-to-drink, vanilla. This was sooo sweet, with a horrible artificial sweet taste. (And is the brand that is most people's favorite !)

- Atkins Advantage coffee flavor. The first few sips weren't too bad, but it's then the sweetness took over, and it even gave me a headache.

- Vega One chocolate had the same too-sweet, artificial sweetened flavor that makes me gag. Plus since its dairy free, it has a slight gritty/grainy texture.

- Garden of Life Organic Plant Protein chocolate had the same problems as Vega One.

- Garden of Life Raw Protein chocolate was the only one that Sint have the sickeningly sweet taste. Since its dairy free, it has a slight gritty/grainy texture, but I think I could live with that better than the sickening sweetness odf the others. If I had to.

Years ago I was on a doctor-supervised liquid diet and I recall liking the drinks quite well, so there's got to be something out there!

Hello,

Yaa I do understand your situation that you faced because there are so many drinks available at market but it's not required that all drink suits to our body. Some even give an immediate headache because few drinks stimulate our nervous system.

Instead, it’s keeping the doors blocked while the real party animals of the brain do what they love to do.

Even I faced the same situation but one of my friends who are physician suggested me whey Protein.

Try this !!... :)

Regards

I second Isopure. They have zero carb varieties with 50 grams of Protein per 2 scoops. I blend mine with some greens and a little frozen fruit to help offset the sweetness. I also use coconut Water instead of milk

I'm in the UK so we have different brands but I really didn't like the flavoured varieties of Protein Powder so went online and discovered unflavoured whey. I now concoct my own shakes and they keep beautifully in the fridge for several days. If you make them extra thick then when you want a serving just dollop a couple of tablespoons in a shaker, top up with skimmed milk or icy cold Water and hey presto-a shake of your choice. I throw in all sorts of things, fruit, skimmed milk powder-whatever takes my fancy and I can sweeten them to how I like them. I have discovered a great cheat and that is to use a tiny bit of Nesquick (milkshake powder for kids) to give them extra taste and a tiny bit of sweetness. It is real sugar in the Nesquick but over the whole mixture it is almost negligible and I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners. I have been known to have the odd squirt of Agave nectar in some recipes. I have also discovered that if I make a batch of thick Horlicks malted milk shake, I can add boiling water to a dollop of that at night and I get a great bedtime drink and I get some Protein that stops me getting the midnight munchies. Get the blender going and start playing and it's amazing what you can produce. You also have zero chemicals which can only be good for our very precious little tummies.

I will be starting my liquid pre-op liquid diet soon. The purpose is to shrink my liver so it has to be low carb (6-7 carbs max) & high Protein (min 15 g) all-liquids to help clean out my intestines.

Problem is, all the Protein drinks I've tried literally nauseate me. Some even give me an immediate headache.

Obviously I have to find something, and fast!

Here are the drinks I've tried:

- Premier Protein (ready-to-drink, vanilla. This was sooo sweet, with a horrible artificial sweet taste. (And is the brand that is most people's favorite !)

- Atkins Advantage coffee flavor. The first few sips weren't too bad, but it's then the sweetness took over, and it even gave me a headache.

- Vega One chocolate had the same too-sweet, artificial sweetened flavor that makes me gag. Plus since its dairy free, it has a slight gritty/grainy texture.

- Garden of Life Organic Plant Protein chocolate had the same problems as Vega One.

- Garden of Life Raw Protein chocolate was the only one that Sint have the sickeningly sweet taste. Since its dairy free, it has a slight gritty/grainy texture, but I think I could live with that better than the sickening sweetness odf the others. If I had to.

Years ago I was on a doctor-supervised liquid diet and I recall liking the drinks quite well, so there's got to be something out there!

Hello Friend,

I am totally agree with you because I faced this serve headache.

Yes I was taking Proteins but consuming protein supplement is not enough to stay fit and sometimes they stimulate your nervous system. Then I realized that with protein supplements we should have to do regular exercise. So that, exercise will reduce the headache.

In that matter, I hired the personal trainer from http://freeformfitnessacademy.com/ because I want to gain weight by consuming protein.

I can't tolerate too many Protein Shakes. Post op, I had a bout of lactose intolerance that is somewhat starting to get better, so it seems, but those first few weeks/months all I could do was Syntrax Nectars. Twisted cherry and wild grape became my best friends. I still use them daily. I also found recently that I can tolerate my old fav Protein Shake which is bio chem chocolate. It has a really good taste and doesn't upset my stomach. I use it as a special treat when my family is having dessert, I'll whirl up a cup with some sf chocolate milk(shamrock brand is wonderful!) and ice and make sort of a milk shake. It makes me feel included and tastes great.