Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm fairly new to gastric sleeve. I had surgery on 7/20/15. I was about 250 pre-op, I am currently 221. I lost most of the weight in the first month. I am so discouraged as I have not lost a lot of weight like I had expected. Up until about a few weeks ago I was being compliant. However due to the lack of weight loss I kind of gave up and started giving into my cravings. I'm not an expert, but I feel I can fit more food in than I should be able to. It's so very hard for me to tell when I'm full. I am frightened to think that my sleeve has failed. I just staring eating better the last couple of days. But not seeing the results I was hoping for is very stressful. Does anyone have any advice or experiencing now or in the past the same things I'm going through right now? Please tell me there's hope! I didn't have this life changing surgery to only loose a few pounds.

Are you logging your food? How much are you getting per day in calories, Protein, carbs and fat? Have you met with your NUT? Are you getting all your Protein and fluids in? How about Vitamins? You say you have been compliant but without more info it would be tough to help you spot the potential issues. I would suggest you contact your NUT and provide them with your food logs and see if they can help you. You are right you didn't do this for minimal loss. You do need to find out where changes can be made - especially if you are having some sort of medical issue that is causing less loss. Your NUT or surgeon should be able to help.

One of the biggest things I have learned in this process is how important it is to not give up when confronted with a stall.

Stalls are a normal, natural and necessary part of the weight loss process. Giving up and returning to old bad habits is the worst thing we can do when we encounter a stall.

Focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids, take all of the Vitamins and supplements, and exercise when you are able.

None of us lose weight at a constant rate. It's what we do when the scale isn't cooperating that determines our success.

If the numbers on the scale control how you feel, then the best thing to do is to stay off of the scale.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

So what are you eating? If it's anything besides Protein and veggies then YOU are failing your sleeve, not the other way around. If you sit down to a plate of grilled chicken and broccoli, how much can you eat? If it's a cup or less, then your sleeve is doing exactly what it's supposed to. If it's more like 2 cups, then yes, your restriction is not what I would expect for 4 months postop and you may want to discuss this with your surgeon. And remember, you will not feel full on liquids or softer foods or definitely not slider foods.

Are you measuring and tracking everything you eat? If so, what are your numbers looking like? If you aren't, maybe that's what you need to do to stay on plan and figure out why you aren't losing. Unless you have other medical issues like hypothyroid or PCOS, or you are taking certain medications that can cause weight gain, you WILL lose weight if you stick with the program. If you are honestly following the plan and still not losing then you should probably chat with your surgeon or PCP to see if there's something else going on.

You guys are forcing me to take a good look at myself. I don't like it, but it's for the best. Yes, in the beginning I was religiously tracking every single bite of food that went through my mouth. I was sticking to Protein, protein and more protein. I was usually consuming about 600 - 800 calories a day. But after the third month, when I noticed I didn't loose any weight at all in a whole month, I stopped tracking my food and I noticed I started eating carbs and other things I shouldn't be eating. I think I can safely say that I can eat more than a cup of food. I have not regained any weight, but again I am losing very little to no weight. Finally after about a month or so of not losing any weight, I have lost 2 pounds in the last week. I only now started to be more careful about what I am eating. I will start tracking my food again and sticking to my diet and hope for the best. Thank you all for being candid.

Just stick with it. Don't let the stalls get you down...definitely read Inner Surfer Girl's post about stalls. I GAINED 3 pounds between 6-7 weeks and then sat there for a month. But I never gave up. Protein, veggies, Water and Vitamins until I reached goal. Remember this is a commitment to a lifetime of healthy choices, so don't let the numbers derail you. Good luck!

The biggest issue with the sleeve is...... that going in, we hear about the surgery and then read about how much people have lost and that simply image is somehow all we think about......So simple. So quick. Get the surgery and be skinny.

Bottom line. NO surgery will make you skinny. We are in fact told that all the way thru the pre-op process, but still we visualize that instant quickie result. Get the surgery and it'll be gone forever. Ehhhhhhhhh!!! Wrong.

The surgery helps with our very bad decision making habits. We eat TOO MUCH. And the more obese we become the less exercise we do. We have let hunger and desire rule out lives. We all made very bad decisions, ate too much, and developed very bad habits. That is the formula for becoming obese and that is the reason for not losing it.

The sleeve will restrict us in out bad decision of eating TOO much......which will HELP us to change that bad habit. But we have to recognize that is all it will do and take advantage of that jump start to use our brain...(which knows deep down what has to be done) and work on all our areas of bad decisions......See those first few pounds coming off and rejoice in our effort and build the resolve to not go back. To do what we know is necessary to achieve the results we need and want.

The only two things that will EVER control ours & every other human on the planet's weight is "Diet and Exercise" It has always been that way ans always will. (What type of food .... and how much you eat and burning calories.)

Your post also tells me that you know that too. You say " At first I followed the plan....." "I concentrated on protein"....

But then you say things like " I can fit"

"At first" is not enough. But you already know that too. And you don't FIT.....you limit. Measure your food. Your sleeve will help you limit and your body WILL be get by with that limited amount if you change you're bad decisions to "fit" or "stuff" more in. And you want to break that stall. Then Exercise. Whatever you doing.....do more.

It's never gonna be about the sleeve. The sleeve will help but , It will always be about YOU!!! And you can do it.

Good luck. ;)

....and the farther out you get the more and more it is about you and less and less about the sleeve. So now is the time to work on all your food demons and figure out a way to deal with life without turning to your old ways. Success takes commitment forever.

Pay close attention to Kindle's statement above....!!!

(....and the farther out you get the more and more it is about you and less and less about the sleeve. So now is the time to work on all your food demons and figure out a way to deal with life without turning to your old ways. Success takes commitment forever.)

Time is of essence. You need to firm up those new habits quickly.

For those of us who were lucky enough to have that hormone "Ghrelin" removed along with the majority of our stomachs......that was/is a real benefit in helping to curb hunger and appetite. But take heed......That hormone should be called "Gremlin" because like a devious imp, just when you think you have reached "nirvana"........it will return. Hunger will come back. And you need to be prepared to resist it with new patterns carved in stone.

So work on those new habits now and don't deviate. Make them stick like on autopilot. You're gonna need to resist all our old ways later on. You can do this. ;)

Good morning! I have similar issues. Haven't lost any in a month. I do work out very well 3-4 X week. I need to get back strictly on Protein. I am not a fan of grilled chicken but I can eat sliced deli chicken, string cheese, Peanut Butter, almonds, veggies and try to have a Premier Protein shake daily. What are your thoughts? Btw, I had started drinking my Reisling and/or vodka and have limited that to at most once per week. I need a buddy on this site! ????

Also, I was sleeved from a lap band on July 9th. Started at 222 and am at 188. Slowly but surely! I would love to be 155. Help!!!

I think I can safely say that I can eat more than a cup of food.

Measure your food. At this stage, my surgeon says 1/3 cup of food per meal, three meals a day, no Snacks. If you want salad, you can have 1/3 cup in addition to the regular 1/3 cup food.

If you're having a hard time not snacking, try a sugar-free Jello, or drink more of whatever you're drinking every day.

I haven't yet had the sleeve. I go for my first nutritionist appointment Dec. 3rd 2015. So I do not have experience with what you are going through, but I have been trying to do some research (that's how I came across this wonderful forum of support)! I'm not sure if you have a cell phone or ipad, but I downloaded an app called baritastic. I haven't used it yet, but I can take pictures throughout my journey, journal how I'm feeling, and monitor my eating, drinking, and Vitamins (best part it's free)! I know I lack experience, but I want you to feel supported, because that's how we will remain successful in our journey for weight loss, when we have others to help us along during the tough parts! :) Good luck through your journey, you can do this!! :)

Hey, i am trying to decide on whether to get the sleeve or bypass. Any thoughts? Also, I'm scared of the diet, I can't follow a diet now, how easy is it to stay on track?