Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help w/ preop diet...

I need to lose 10 lb by surgery date. What did ya'll do to lose weight preop?

At the Toronto Centre, many of us have to do 14 days of nothing but nonfat yogurt, cottage cheese, and low glycemic veggies. No fat, no carbs and absolutely no sugar. I am on day 2. It's dreadful, but I am thankful that I had about a week of 'last meals' followed by 'last snacks' and topped off by 'last treats'. I literally stuffed myself with garbage to the point that yogurt and veggies are actually a welcomed change. I feel more energy and less bloated after only 2 days. I don't know about weight, but it has to be effective if it shrinks our livers!

Good luck!

I suggest liquids as well. Plenty of Water to help with the weight loss also. sugar free popsicles, broths, and sugar free Jello.< /p>

liquid diet GUIDELINES

PRE- WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY

1. Choose 3 "liquid calorie meals" per day. DO NOT drink liquids that contain more than 10 calories at any other time of the day.

2. Each "liquid meal" will consist of 1 cup (8 oz) of liquids that contains Protein and calories. (see options below)

3. Drink your "liquid meal" over a 30-45 minute period.

4. Drink only non-calorie beverages at other times of the day. It is important to stay hydrated.

EXAMPLES OF "LIQUID MEAL" BEVERAGE CHOICES:

REMEMBER: The above liquids ARE NOT appropriate after you start eating foods again.

TIPS:

1. Try having low-sodium chicken broth to help you feel full

2. Eat sugar-free Jello or sugar-free Popsicles between meals, if you start to feel hungry.

3. Avoid places and social situations where food is the primary focus, or bring your liquid meal with you.

4. Stay busy

5. Avoid watching TV commercials--most of them are about food!

6. Ask a friend to try doing the liquid diet with you.

7. Drink plenty of non-calorie fluids. Keeping your stomach full of non-calorie liquids will help to decrease hunger.

FYI ONLY:this is the info provided by the Bariatric Clinic that i am using. it may help someone. pjanes 54

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to help lose weight now before my surgery? I met my surgeon back in March 2007 and since Nov 2006 when I started this process through my hospital I have only lost 20 lbs. My surgeon wants me to lose more before he will schedule me for surgery. He wants me to get down to 360 lbs which is about 40 more lbs. I have had so many stuggles trying to lose this initial weight I feel like I will never get this surgery!!! :cry

I was originally scheduled for surgery june 18 of this year. My insurance screwed that up so I was on liquids for 2 weeks. It was Protein drinks (slim fast, or carnation instant breakfast); fat free broth, sugar free jello; lots of Water.

It wasn't the best experience but for me it wasn't terrible either because I had a lot of support. so.... I am now finally scheduled for surgery and the date is 8/13/07! I have to re-do the liquid diet once again.

Try your hardest to stick to it. It isn't going to be fun and you won't feel like the girls in the commercials but just think of those Levi jeans that you will be wearing in a few months. Seriously. I can't wait to be able to open my closet again. All my clothes now live on a rack in my bedroom; the real deal clothes are in the closet giggling at me at night! LOL.

GOOD LUCK! :kiss2:

I'm doing EAS high Protein low carb drinks three times a day and 5 ounces of meat with 2-3 cups of veggies like tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, mushrooms, leafy greens, sprouts, cucumbers, celery. Today I went to the doctors and finally I'm less than 210 pounds which is my first goal. It's hard sometimes but I want to make sure I shrink my liver for surgery. Good luck, I'm sure you can do it!

I start my 2 week clear liquid diet on Monday, July 30. Broths, Jello, popsicles, Boost Breeze, Vitamin Water, tea, etc. Once a day I get 8 oz of orange juice and 8 oz of V-8. I am not looking forward to it at all, but I'm gonna stick to it!

Hey, MissNilsa! We get banded on the same day!!!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to help lose weight now before my surgery? I met my surgeon back in March 2007 and since Nov 2006 when I started this process through my hospital I have only lost 20 lbs. My surgeon wants me to lose more before he will schedule me for surgery. He wants me to get down to 360 lbs which is about 40 more lbs. I have had so many stuggles trying to lose this initial weight I feel like I will never get this surgery!!! :cry

While I am only finishing day 2 of my preop diet I have heard that many people loose well on the liquid high Protein shakes...

I wish you all the best. It blows my mind that we are asking for the doctors help because we can't loose weight and they want you to loose weight to have surgery.... what morons... lol:faint:

Thanks for the suggesstions... I am seeing that most people just do 2 week liquid diets right before sugery, but my surgeon wants me to lose the 40 more lbs before he will even schedule the surgery. Then it is scheduled for one month or so after that date, at that point I had to have maintained my goal or they will cancel surgery until I lose it again..sucks!

How often do you drink these fluids all day? Do you drink as much as you want of each except the OJ and V8?

My doc wants me to get 30g of Protein a day. So, I will make sure I get my Protein, drink my oj and V8 and drink juices, popsicles, Jello. Most of the liquids were unlimited, except those with sugar. He wants me to stick around the 1000 cal a day mark. I also have to take a Multivitamin and take a B1 supplement.

I start next Monday. Not looking forward to it, but it will be ok!

My doc wants me to get 30g of Protein a day. So, I will make sure I get my Protein, drink my oj and V8 and drink juices, popsicles, Jello. Most of the liquids were unlimited, except those with sugar. He wants me to stick around the 1000 cal a day mark. I also have to take a Multivitamin and take a B1 supplement.

I start next Monday. Not looking forward to it, but it will be ok!

Wow I have to have 25g of protein a shake... I am taking in 100-125g of protein. Although I think it is working on keeping me less hungry.