Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big guy needing new mattress......suggestions on what's working for you......

I will be the voice of dissent here. We have a sleep number and we are not fans. My husband really hates it. The middle foam "support" sinks and the whole thing seems to squished. At my biggest on this bed I was around 195 and my husband is around 180. I would think it would support better. I don't know if having moved it twice affected it (I made sure to package it well) but it also seems to lose air and the motor is acting a bit funky.

Can these items be replaced with the warranty ????

I believe my aunt and uncle's has some ridiculous warranty for like 15 years or something.

I will be the voice of dissent here. We have a sleep number and we are not fans. My husband really hates it. The middle foam "support" sinks and the whole thing seems to squished. At my biggest on this bed I was around 195 and my husband is around 180. I would think it would support better. I don't know if having moved it twice affected it (I made sure to package it well) but it also seems to lose air and the motor is acting a bit funky.

Can these items be replaced with the warranty ????

The warranty is pro-rated. I had the air motor replaced some years back and it was expensive. I also wanted to replace the zipper top and they wanted like $400 and that was just the top part.

Well........I went by the sleep Number store today.

Great situation.....got there shortly after opening and had the run of the store and the salesperson. She was really helpful and answered all my questions......no hype. No BS. Straightforward.

I was quite satisfied with the firmness that could be achieved. More than adequate. Backing off from 100 to 85 felt really good.

The adjustable bases really made for an awesome set-up. The 'weightless' setting felt really good as did elevating the feet some.

I need to decide if the adjustability is worth the additional $3,000 over the price of whichever set I zeroed in on.

There is a 25 year warranty that is pro-rated after 2 years.

I'm not really sure I understand what all the sleep IQ does for you, but I didn't really get into discussion about it.

I've got a few quotes to think about.......but the main thing is deciding how much it's worth to me to elevate the head & foot. If I go that route, it must be independently adjustable L&R, thus the $3,000 cost. That's a large expense.

Thanks for all your ideas and information.

The Radisson is the chain that has the Sleep Number beds. I may have to do a weekend at a Radisson and see how I like it............

@dub. One thing to consider about having the adjustability is if you ever develop reflux later on it would come in handy.

I have reflux (I am on a PPI) and I cannot eat at least two to three hours before I lay down to sleep or I suffer. I work nights and sometimes when I get home I can't stay awake the two/three hours after I eat Breakfast so I sleep either in the chair or recliner.

So my next bed will be adjustable- even though for some reason that makes me feel like an old person. LOL.

Good luck on your mattress quest....

OH NO.... I accidentally posted in the guys room.

:D It's all good.

I simply posted it here, thinking there would be more guys my weight who had been through this deal.

I have had 3 back surgeries and my heaviest recorded weight was 412. My bed is a sleep number and we have had it for many years. However, sleeping on my back is not an option for me. I sleep on my side and use a body pillow (to get a little separation between my knees). This is how I have slept for over 15 years now and it works great for me. No back pain from sleeping.

Edited by Txbariatricguy

Absolutely love my sleep Number bed - wouldn't give it up for anything!

My wife and I did something similar a few years ago. First king size bed. She likes them soft so we got a hybrid type that has small coils but then a chunk of memory foam on top. Well, she loves it and I hate it. Too soft for me. I like a firm mattress and she likes soft. We stayed at a radison hotel not long ago and got to use a sleep number bed. We both loved the adjustability. She also has asthma and wants to get the adjustable base so she can raise her head if need be. It would have to be the split adjuster so we can independently raise or lower. Of course, that has to be the most expensive of the options right! Good Luck @@Dub, be sure to let us know how you do.

@dub. One thing to consider about having the adjustability is if you ever develop reflux later on it would come in handy.

I have reflux (I am on a PPI) and I cannot eat at least two to three hours before I lay down to sleep or I suffer. I work nights and sometimes when I get home I can't stay awake the two/three hours after I eat Breakfast so I sleep either in the chair or recliner.

So my next bed will be adjustable- even though for some reason that makes me feel like an old person. LOL.

Good luck on your mattress Quest....

Excellent point about the adjustability.

I have had 3 back surgeries and my heaviest recorded weight was 412. My bed is a sleep number and we have had it for many years. However, sleeping on my back is not an option for me. I sleep on my side and use a body pillow (to get a little separation between my knees). This is how I have slept for over 15 years now and it works great for me. No back pain from sleeping.< /p>

Thank you for the tip.

I've avoided the side sleep thing for years.

I asked my surgeon during Monday's appointment if it was safe to side sleep due to the hernia repair. He grinned and said absolutely okay. It's repaired and healing well.

So......I decided to give the side sleep thing a try.....after all my wife says it's great on the mattress.

I used some pillows around the hernia area and tucked them in there with my arm rolled over them.....very comfortable to my shoulder as it was also supported by these pillows (rotator cuff tear that needs to be fixed in it soon).

Comfortable.....but just not 100%. I remembered the pillow between the knees deal and when I did so things seemed to line up much better with my back. Strapped on the C-PAP and didn't move for 3-4 hours. Wound up going to my back at some point.

Felt better the next day.

At least now I may have way to get by with the existing bed on the nights I do sleep on it.

Absolutely love my Sleep Number bed - wouldn't give it up for anything!

I"m starting to see the benefits now.

My wife and I did something similar a few years ago. First king size bed. She likes them soft so we got a hybrid type that has small coils but then a chunk of memory foam on top. Well, she loves it and I hate it. Too soft for me. I like a firm mattress and she likes soft. We stayed at a radison hotel not long ago and got to use a sleep number bed. We both loved the adjustability. She also has asthma and wants to get the adjustable base so she can raise her head if need be. It would have to be the split adjuster so we can independently raise or lower. Of course, that has to be the most expensive of the options right! Good Luck @@Dub, be sure to let us know how you do.

Sounds really.....really familiar, man.

I've got to sort this out for sure.

The SN bed itself isn't so bad. The raise/lower is a hurdle......and the independent raise/lower is yet another big hurdle.

I've got a pre-college teenager in serious want of a new car.....honor student who is just an all around great kid in every way. Huge proud of him and the way he's so responsible for his actions and maintains his schedule like a boss. So much better behaved than I was at his age.

The sleeve surgery but a tremendous dent in my funds, too. Self funded the deal due to archaic insurance views on the wls procedures.

The good news is there are some opportunities for overtime that may help pave the way.

I heard a great quote the other day that resonates in my head: You should sleep 1/3 of your day. How well you sleep during that time determines the quality of life for the other 2/3 of the day.........therefore doing whatever it takes to ensure good sleep is crucial.

I've got a doctor's appointment this Friday with my primary doc to get dialed in my lowered blood pressure. I will get his opinion on the matter.

I've been seeing this doctor for the last 14 months after my prior doc closed his practice. The new primary has done more for me to help me get my health restored in that short time than the other doc ever did. It was a blessing that I found out about him. Both he and his nurse are amazing people who have been huge support for me.

I"m also going to request a sleep study asap, too. My old C-PAP is outdated and it's time to get current on one of the models that OKCPirate has recommended.

Thanks for reading the ramblings of a madman. A grateful madman.

A grateful madman who is going to work tonight in 52/32 khaki slacks. Same guy was wearing 60/32 just two months ago.

I bought a well made belt back when I started the bariatric process leading up to surgery. It has double rows of holes all around the belt...part of the design. I like it because I can wear it for a long time as my waist gets smaller. Right now the tag end is beginning to wrap around my side. Freaking love that felling.

scale readings have been on lockdown the last week......however clothes are getting loser. I don't know what all is happening....but there is something good going on.

Glad that it helped. It took me a while to get see to sleeping like that but now I can't sleep any other way. Continued luck on your recovery.

Funny thing just happened......

Woke up unusually early this afternoon with a couple hours to kill before getting ready for night shift.

Had some turkey sausage dipped in yellow mustard with a piece of cheddar. Hmmmmnnn, hmmmnnn good & tasty.

Made a pot of coffee......just to get a cup.

Sat down and flipped on ESPN to watch the talking sports heads bash on Greg Hardy, praise Tom Brady and poke fun of Jerry Jones.....pretty much the theme of the week.

A commercial came on...well made, but not a flashy big production type commercial.

It was for a mattress factory that made 70 different types of mattresses and had large accounts with an East Coast distribution chain. They went on about that being one aspect of their family business. They explained their retail showroom was open to the public and had all sorts of mattress constructions....old school innerspring, hospital beds, and numerous different types of memory foam constructions.

I called and spoke to one of the co-owners.

I briefly explained my situation and he said he heard thghat story often and was confident he could take care of me......and the wife with a split king bed with differing firmnesses. Full adjustability, too. He said they can even custom build whatever I wanted.

I didn't talk prices but got zeroed in on the factory/store location......IT"S ONLY 20 miles away !!!!!!!!!

Going to try shooting over there tomorrow afternoon and sprawl out on a number of mattresses. We didn't talk specific pricing due to the unknown ranges of what I'd be looking at.....but it's most assuredly much cheaper than the Tempurpedic we bought last year.

Fingers crossed folks.

My husband and I have a sleep number bed and we have had it for a good 10 years. It works for us because we are VERY different. I am a 35 sleep number and he is an 85! So obviously we would not be happy on a regular bed. At 85 his side feels like a board to me so if you put it on 90 or 95 I can't even imagine. I always sit on his side to put on my shoes.

Today they sell a sleep number that is adjustable where you can raise the head or foot so you might want to check into that.