Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big guy needing new mattress......suggestions on what's working for you......

My spine surgeon suggested a sleep number bed to me. We're waiting until we buy a house and get a king sized one. In the mean time I got one of those hybrid spring mattresses with gel foam and stuff. It's ok most nights. Sometimes I feel like I kind sink in it so we added another firm mattress pad and that's helped.

@@BLERDgirl -- Thanks for the clarification. With so many print ads and commercials for "try it and if ...." for a long time, I've wondered. But, when someone does return a bed after the trial period, what happens with it? If it's then turned around and sold to another customer it's used merchandise.

@@Inner Surfer Girl -- The "male only" notice doesn't appear on the listings on the right of screen. Oh, no. The ever-gracious @@Dub has tolerated and spoken to us. Dub, say the word and I'll pack my sheets and duvet and quietly depart your slumber party.

It just came to me that when I wanted a new bed, I asked my spine doctor for an opinion. He or perhaps the medical assistant mentioned that, after a "certain age (I suppose I was early-ish 60's, but if you tell anyone I said so, I'll deny it)," it's generally best to avoid extra firm mattresses -- go for something with a little give to support the various curves." My spine issue is L4-5 herniation.

Also, I"ve never been happy with the bed I bought. The mattress is foam with a pillow top. I can't say now what the foundation is. It called to me at the store. I lay on it a while, then went to try another, came back, try yet another, etc., etc. Each time I lay on the one I purchased, I was sure it felt better than all the others. I've since come to think that the pillow top was the charm and also prevented me from getting the full effect of pillowtop-on-foam. I find it too hard. (Also weighs 20 tons, making it extremely difficult to rotate.) It's an Englander and I'd have to find the receipt to give you the model no. Which is unlikely to mean anything -- what are chances the same number is still in production. Also, mfrs will make certain models, but apply different numbers and even different fabric coverings so that various chains will not seem to have the same things. I've been told that prices for the same bed bearing different model numbers vary greatly. I bought at a private, local store and I can't guess how mfrs work model numbers for such places. I've been told that there really are only 2 or 3 U.S. mfrs (I don't know if the sleep number type come under either/any of their banners or are independent companies), each using any number of brand names. That's part of it -- one chain has one label while another chain as another label, but the bed is the same.

You may know all that and may know if I'm in error on points. In any case I hope I've been even a tiny bit helpful.

P.S. Now can I stay?

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

We've been on a sleep by number for over 10 years. My wife has back issues and since getting the sleep by number she lives pain free from back pain. On the other side of the bed, my side, I hate it! I have not ever been able to find the number that helps me get a good night sleep, however, now that I'm at 215, a much lower weight than we first purchased it, I'm finding it a little more comfortable, but, for me it's still not all that it's advertised to be. I still toss and turn. I seem to do better with the firmer higher numbers, but, still have issues. The lower number give me a back ache. I tolerate it only because it has really helped my wife and as you know a happy wife makes for a good life. ha ha ha In all seriousness, I don't think that the sleep by number is friendly for heavier people,, but, that's only my opinion. It just doesn't work for me. I'm hoping that as I lose more weight, I will find that magic number.

I remember back in those days there was a hotel chain that had these beds and people would try them out there, however, that was 10 years ago, but, it might be worth looking into. jake

I'm a 70, my wife is a 30-35. Love our sleep Number bed because we can have it the way we each like. First time in years my back hasn't hurt from the bed being too soft.

@@WLSResources/ClothingExch - if it returned it would likely have to go yo a second hand outlet. There are plenty of them selling gently used or refurbished.

I'm a 70, my wife is a 30-35. Love our sleep Number bed because we can have it the way we each like. First time in years my back hasn't hurt from the bed being too soft.

Had to read that twice. First time I thought you'd married someone half your age.

Hm, this arithmetical genius now realizes that if she were half your age, it would have been a very recent wedding.

That sounds like music to my ears.

I'm sitting here at work....with a freaking lumbar pillow wedged down the back of this chair trying to ease this.

I'm definitely going to swing by the sleep Number store on Monday.

Me, 65. Wife, 25. ha ha

When your spine is slowly breaking down and your hips need to be replaced, you need support, support and more support. I have in the last ten years bought some outrageously expensive mattresses, custom built mattresses, sleep number mattresses, top-rated mattresses, doctor recommended mattresses and can tell you that none compare to the Tempurpedic I am currently using.

I have bought more mattresses (and given away or sold) than my parents, my siblings and an aunt combined. It is not something I am proud of but it is the reality of being diseased.

I get a great night sleep, plenty of support, plenty of comfort and everyone who lays on my bed says "oh, God is this is so amazingly comfortable, supportive and can I please take a nap?" on my Tempurpedic Tempur Flex-Elite. Worth every penny.

It was worth every penny.

@@Dub - thanks for bringing up this topic. I'm about to hit my one year anniversary and I'm realizing that I really killed my mattress when I was 100 pounds heavier. I've been looking at new ones and this is helpful. When I had a compressed disk, my physical therapist convinced me to learn to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs to reduce stress on my back. it took a little while, but I finally relearned how to sleep. Occasionally when I throw caution to the wind and sleep on my back or stomach I pay for it the next morning. So I will tell you it is possible to learn how to sleep in a new position. That said, I was at one of my old girlfriends place and her temperpidic bed was great. So I would suggest before reinvesting in a new mattress, check and see it changing sleeping posture works. If not, then a sleep number might be better. I used to have one and the pillow top version was great. That's why I go to Hilton Garden Inns exclusivity when traveling (if you didn't know, they have them in every room, and as a 50+ year old who travels a great deal, any extra expense is worth it)

I swear by my sleep number bed. Even at my heaviest, 313 pounds, my setting of 85 was so comfortable I never really thought about it being too hard or too soft, it was just perfect. And even though I've lost a significant amount of weight I still keep it at 85. Good luck in your search for a bed. They have a lot of different kinds of beds at the sleep number store and I have the most basic kind.

Hi I have had a sleep number bed for 15 years. Still absolutely love it like day 1.

Yes, you can crank it up to very stiff bed, you won't sink in it. Impossible!

Get one with the pillow top and dual control of course. You will pay a fair amount of money but over the years, it is well worth it.

Good luck.

I will be the voice of dissent here. We have a sleep number and we are not fans. My husband really hates it. The middle foam "support" sinks and the whole thing seems to squished. At my biggest on this bed I was around 195 and my husband is around 180. I would think it would support better. I don't know if having moved it twice affected it (I made sure to package it well) but it also seems to lose air and the motor is acting a bit funky.