Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big guy needing new mattress......suggestions on what's working for you......

A little over a year ago my wife and i bought what we thought at the time was an awesome set of bedding.

We went with a Tempurpedic memory foam king sized set. First time in 20 years of marriage we've had a king sized bed.

At first is seemed okay.

She still loves it.

She's a 140 pound side sleeper and I"m an oversized dude who only sleeps flat on my back. We are two vastly different profiles and I now see how foolish it was to think we'd both be supported to our liking by the same bedding type. The salesman did his thing and said everything he needed to sell it.

For the first few months is was okay by my standards and great by hers.

I herniated a disc in my back and some other damage....but the spine doc said everything he saw on the MRI could heal eventually if I'd lose significant weight and get proper rest. He's the one that finally got me to see the wisdom in weight loss surgery.

Well.....the weight is now coming off and will continue to do so but I am convinced that even after I reach goal weight this mattress is a poor fit for me. I slept in it the last three nights.......and have struggled due to that. Back is screaming.

I"m done with it. This memory foam mess can go to the spare bedroom and work out great for guests.

We never did look around at the sleep Number Store.

Their concept sounds great in theory......I was just hoping to gain some insight before I go to the store and have to listen to a bunch of sales hype and BS from them.

I need a real world, real deal, no BS recommendation from a fellow large guy.

What is working for you ??

This is becoming a big priority for me.

I just answered this in the other link, but we've had a sleep number for 10 years or so. Still as comfortable as day one. I have noticed over the years as my weight fluctuated, had to adjust the air. At least now it should only go in one direction now! I would consider the adjustable sleep number they have now, that wasn't an,option when we got ours.

I just answered this in the other link, but we've had a sleep number for 10 years or so. Still as comfortable as day one. I have noticed over the years as my weight fluctuated, had to adjust the air. At least now it should only go in one direction now! I would consider the adjustable sleep number they have now, that wasn't an,option when we got ours.

Sounds really good.

Are you able to dial it up so it's really firm and you don't sink down in it ?

This is my complaint with the memory foam. I simply sink down and my back never feels any upward pressure from the mattress.

We spent a small fortune on a sleep to Live mattress and HATE it. Absolutely HATE it. I can't wait for my oldest to get an apartment so he can take the damn bed. I bought my 19 year old daughter a pillow top from Macys. It's a Queen for $1200. Best mattress I've ever slept on.

Hey, @@Dub, I don't have any recommendations, but thought you might appreciate this old NSV.

It's since been replaced by a queen, but, at the time of surgery, I had a full-sized bed. Prior to surgery, at my all-time high of 311, I'd lie in it and feel so miserable. It looked and felt as though I were in a twin., When I lost about 100 lbs, I wasn't checking, but happened to notice how much larger the bed seemed, enough that I thought of myself as having lost a whole bed size.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I swear by my sleep number mattress. Only problem I had was when we first got it over a decade ago it was easy to sleep over 8 hours. Without an alarm it was hard to wake up. They did warn me about this at the store. Prior to that on a spring mattress I used to toss, turn and also had aches and pains if I stayed in bed over 5-6 hours at a time. I also don't have to sleep with a pillow between my legs since this mattress.

I swear by my sleep number mattress. Only problem I had was when we first got it over a decade ago it was easy to sleep over 8 hours. Without an alarm it was hard to wake up. They did warn me about this at the store. Prior to that on a spring mattress I used to toss, turn and also had aches and pains if I stayed in bed over 5-6 hours at a time. I also don't have to sleep with a pillow between my legs since this mattress.

Wow.

That is a problem that I'd like to have !!!

Are you able to dial it up to a firmness that is super stiff ?

Friends of mine purchased a Leesa mattress. Apparently there is a 100 day money back guarantee. They absolutely love it. One is an average sized guy and the other is 6 foot lumberjack build.

Wow.

That is a problem that I'd like to have !!!

Are you able to dial it up to a firmness that is super stiff ?

Yes sir! You may need to try a few different numbers to see what worked best for you. And also, will not bother the person next to you when you get up or turn.

Edited by dusky goddess

Are you able to dial it up so it's really firm and you don't sink down in it ?

This is my complaint with the memory foam. I simply sink down and my back never feels any upward pressure from the mattress.

yes, you can dial it up as high as you want, you can make it like a sheet of plywood if you want. I keep it around 45 i think, but as i lose weight, may need to go up. You cant go wrong with it. My only complaint, though minor, and after 18 years of marriage isnt really a big deal, but its not a snuggle bed. With two independent air mattresses in it, its hard to snuggle in the middle.

@@Dub --

Have you asked your spine doctor if he/she has some thoughts on choosing a bed? If not a specific recommendation,* maybe some tips on what would suit you? Buying a bed is difficult. Like buying shoes, many can feel good in the store, but once you're home...

* Even with a specific recommend, you'd need to try it out, keep going back to it in the store between lying on others. But you knew that.

Friends of mine purchased a Leesa mattress. Apparently there is a 100 day money back guarantee. They absolutely love it. One is an average sized guy and the other is 6 foot lumberjack build.

You have to be careful with these "try it out at home for xxx days -- if you don't like it, money back, no questions asked." When the bed is delivered, the delivery men take away the one you have, which would make great good sense if you already know that new item is like Baby Bear's bed.. If you then want to return the new one, what will you sleep on? I have no idea how insistent the delivery people are -- whether it's a strong-arm operation? A scameroo?

Buying a bed's a britch.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

You have to be careful with these "try it out at home for xxx days -- if you don't like it, money back, no questions asked." When the bed is delivered, the delivery men take away the one you have, which would make great good sense if you already know that new item is like Baby Bear's bed.. If you then want to return the new one, what will you sleep on? I have no idea how insistent the delivery people are -- whether it's a strong-arm operation? A scameroo?

Buying a bed's a britch.

Not a scam or strong arm deal. These guys wouldn't put up with BS. I just know they've been raving about this bed. Also removal of the old mattress is optional, much like when buying appliances. I kept my old fridge when I purchased a new one because my local utility company as a recycle program where they will remove the old appliance for free and pay you for it.

I know this is the guy's room, but I am following because I will need to buy a new bed in the near future.

I dumped my old mattress and box springs right after surgery because I am renting a hospital bed (due to lymphedema I was having trouble getting in and out of bed, especially soon after surgery when I couldn't engage my abdomen).

I prefer a very firm mattress, too. One thing I really like about the hospital bed is that I can adjust the head and foot up and down. I am seriously thinking about an adjustable bed but am a bit afraid to check prices.

I have been sleeping on a waterbed for over 40 years. They are warm and comfortable. But I would not recommend this for at least a couple years after surgery. It was extremely painful to get out of bed in the morning after I had the surgery. Anyways waterbeds may have gone the way of hippies. They are hard to find nowadays.