Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a period right before surgery?

**TMI Disclaimer** :unsure: :mellow:

My VSG surgery is 4 weeks away. According to my calendar and what my body is going through now, my expected menstrual cycle should happen on or before the day of surgery---and I JUST realized this today. It's been messing with my head all day because I want to have this surgery done so bad but I feel like I need to reschedule... my flow is pretty heavy and I just think it would be so messy to deal with on top of having surgery. I shed a tear or two talking to my husband about it because it's embarrassing to even think about...my surgeon is a male and I would hate for him or anyone to know that I'm having my period. My husband told me I was silly for thinking such a thing and told me to go through with having the surgery. He really hurt my feelings. I don't know, maybe I am thinking too much or a little emotional right now about it. I am so embarrassed and don't know what to do ....help...

Edited by Lexigurl82

You aren't really incapacitated and will be able to deal with your period.

I'm sure your doctor has seen worse!

I wouldn't postpone my surgery if I were you.

Personally, the surgery was pretty easy.

I was nearly back to normal after 1 week. I just couldn't eat or drink much.

Nonetheless, talk to your doctor

Don't worry about it. The nurses and the doc have seen everything and they will take care of your needs.

I had my period when I went in for my gallbladder removal a few years back. The most annoying part was no tampons were permitted. The nurses said they see it all the time. Nothing to stress out about.

I started mine the morning of surgery. The nurse getting me all checked in and ready for surgery told me to put on the gown and take everything off. Before I could even say I started my period, she finished my sentence for me. She grabbed a pain of those lovely mesh underwear and a pad. She said I wouldn't believe how often that happens and no one thinks twice about it. My male surgeon laughed and said I was one of those lucky ones. Really not an issue at all and I wouldn't even think twice about it.

@@Lexigurl82 --

You're fine. Have the surgery. A surgeon deals with blood all the time. Different area of the body, but he probably is aware of menstruation anyway. He works, as I recall, from around belly button level on up.

You'll be fine. When you're lying on the operating table, think of England. You'll be fine. The nurses and anesthesiologist will be moving around you to do preparations. You'll be under anesthesia soon enough, so you won't have to think about anything that's uncomfortable for you.

You're probably right about feeling emotional now. Take your mind off things for a few minutes in the morning. Before you leave for the hospital, change the sheets and make the bed look as perfect and inviting as ever. Your mind will be occupied for the time you're working on the bed and you'll have fresh sheets when you get home if you want a nap. Your dopey husband can watch soaps while you get some beauty sleep.

Big hugs. When you're feeling up to it, come back and tell us how you are.

Laurie

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Mine started day before surgery. I was embarrassed but mesh panties and a pad I got. Not the most fun but thank God it was actually pretty light and mine are really heavy. Don't cancel just get it done and move forward

I totally know how you feel. I've been having warning cramps of my impending period and my surgery is scheduled for Monday. I could very well be in the same situation only I have no way of knowing when my period will come because I haven't had my period return since I weaned my baby so it's all a guess, but nice to know I shouldn't worry about cancelling if it does come. It is really stressing me out!

I was on it when I had my surgery and it was OFFLE. good luck

Oh, don't worry about it. I didn't care!! They seen it all. I say it was offle because I was in so much pain that it hurt to move and lower myself down to clean up and change pads. That was offle. I didn't give a damn what they thought lol

My clinic said it didn't matter. I was worried about the same thing happening. They said most of the time the surgery will cause it to start so to bring pads.

In the ten years I was a hospital nurse, I took care of more postop females than you can count. I guarantee you, if you reschedule, you will then get your period within 24 hours of surgery, whether it's scheduled to be then or not. Honest. The other posters are quite right, we have seen it all, and dealt with it all, and nothing out of the ordinary. Don't give it a second thought.

I started the day before my surgery and it came back 20 days after my surgery. This surgery does all kinds of things to our hormones!

I got mine a day before surgery. The morning I was admitted for surgery I was embarrassed because I was assigned a male nurse. I told him i was on my cycle and he gave me a pair of mesh undies and pad, showed me to the restroom so that I could change into a gown. When i was finished he proceeded asking general questions and getting me prep like nothing. I was thankful for that.

Sometimes your gift ( why do we call it a gift) from Mother Nature arrives later when you are under stress.

Either way I will echo what others have said the medical staff have seen it all.