Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a period right before surgery?

I was supposed to be on my period for surgery. Going on the liquid diet pre-op made my period come early, so it was over before surgery.

I totally know how you feel. I've been having warning cramps of my impending period and my surgery is scheduled for Monday. I could very well be in the same situation only I have no way of knowing when my period will come because I haven't had my period return since I weaned my baby so it's all a guess, but nice to know I shouldn't worry about cancelling if it does come. It is really stressing me out!

Consider the alternate: You can postpone surgery until after menopause.

Your choice!

@@dusky goddess --

This is the first time I've ever, ever heard "a gift." We obviously travel in different decades and, apparently different circles. Or is it a regional thing? Or just your school?

When I was a teenager, girls referred to it as "my friend," which made no sense to me because (a) it was a nuisance, and ( B) I felt no need to tiptoe with my human friends. The girls, anyway.

Another name was "the curse." I didn't use that one, either.

P.S. That stupid yellow thing was typed in as a lower case "b" followed by the closing parenthesis. Don't blame me for the cartoon effect.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I was on my when I had my surgery. Just tell the nurse as soon as they bring you back to prep you for surgery. They will give you the lovely mesh underwear and a pad. It's not a big deal and like everyone said, they see it all the time because most WLS patients are women and most nurses are also women. The only bad part is I had to constantly explain to every nurse shift why there was blood in the urine collection pan in the toilet. Would have thought one of them would have put it in my chart....

Thanks everyone... I'm going to keep the surgery date for 12/2/2015 but I still feel a little weird about it. I appreciate all the kind words it did help me out a lot.

@@dusky goddess --

This is the first time I've ever, ever heard "a gift." We obviously travel in different decades and, apparently different circles. Or is it a regional thing? Or just your school?

When I was a teenager, girls referred to it as "my friend," which made no sense to me because (a) it was a nuisance, and ( B) I felt no need to tiptoe with my human friends. The girls, anyway.

Another name was "the curse." I didn't use that one, either.

P.S. That stupid yellow thing was typed in as a lower case "b" followed by the closing parenthesis. Don't blame me for the cartoon effect.

Gift because without it there will be no human reproduction. Also, it's a gift when you don't want to conceive and you are late but the minute it comes you jump with joy. Depends really on the situation. It's a curse on special occasions. Like it or not it's a natural part of our existence. Just make peace with it.

Mine randomly started the morning of. Awesome. I was totally freaked out too! The other gals are right. Just tell the nurses in pre-op. You'll probably still get a pregnancy test though. Hahaha... I did. Apparently that was "standard procedure." They will give you some fancy hospital-issue mesh panties and GIANT pads (just like what you get in the maternity ward) to wear into surgery. It turned out to be no big deal and certainly nothing to postpone your surgery over. I even ended up with a male nurse overnight and he really didn't care either. Nurses have truly seen it all.

Edited by gin765

I am 52 and WAYYYYY past having kids but because I am pre-menopausal I had to take a pregnancy test :D

"Aunt Flo" hasn't been over but once, and it was a "brief" two day visit, in her old rusty red Cadillac since surgery!!!!

WOOO HOOOOO

Can you start taking birth control now and try to skip your period by not taking the sugar pills? I use to do that all the time in middle school and high school because I loved not having a period. I had cramps that made me vomit and unable to stand up straight and extreme, heavy bleeding. I know there are issues with clotting, stroke, personal choice, etc. that might not make this feasible. If not, I'm sorry and totally feel your pain. Adult wet wipes will be a good thing to take jic. (Personally those are good to have on hand for any period). And at least you will be on good meds.

But if you talk to your doctor about the pill, then you could start tomorrow! And then have plenty of time to skip the sugar pills. You might have a light flow but it's better than the real deal.

Either way, don't move/cancel your surgery. You have already made it this far and it's just one more hurdle! You're gonna do great!

**TMI Disclaimer** :unsure::mellow:

My VSG surgery is 4 weeks away. According to my calendar and what my body is going through now, my expected menstrual cycle should happen on or before the day of surgery---and I JUST realized this today. It's been messing with my head all day because I want to have this surgery done so bad but I feel like I need to reschedule... my flow is pretty heavy and I just think it would be so messy to deal with on top of having surgery. I shed a tear or two talking to my husband about it because it's embarrassing to even think about...my surgeon is a male and I would hate for him or anyone to know that I'm having my period. My husband told me I was silly for thinking such a thing and told me to go through with having the surgery. He really hurt my feelings. I don't know, maybe I am thinking too much or a little emotional right now about it. I am so embarrassed and don't know what to do ....help...

I'm on my 6th day of my pre op diet... My surgery is in 5 days & I have my period. I feel like a Water balloon from all the fluids. ????

I was on my period during surgery-- you can't use tampons, they will provide you with pads... It's not a big deal really.

I am a nurse- there a lot worse things than blood!

My period started day of surgery, it wasn't a big deal except that paper underwear I had to wear.

Edited by twittymilk

<<

Consider the alternate: You can postpone surgery until after menopause.

Your choice!>>

Nope, I had been peri-menopausal for 5 years with only a few periods per year and none in over 18 months, and started about 3 days before my surgery (I'd been on the liquid diet for a month, probably triggered it)!

I started mine the day before surgery, and I was fine! In fact, even better cause the drugs took away my cramps, lol. I just wore big pads.