Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

I am doing better that is why I can eat. I had some taken out a couple of weeks ago. My stomach was really burning. I didn't understand that, but then it got difficult to even drink. That is why I had an unfill done, but now I am doing better. I just found out I have mono, but I don't know if that has anything to do with my stomach burning when I ate or drank or not. Now I eat small meals and feel better. Resting a lot. Not losing though, but that will change once I can work out again.

True2 I know you are right. We need to learn how to make the healthy choices and not expect the band to do it for us through starvation. I had such a bad night last night. As soon as I would doze off to sleep I'd have a coughing spasm because relazing caused liquid to come up and effected my lungs. This in turn triggered off my asthma. This happened 3 times.

CRZY you are right I'm now believing that I need a slight unfill.

True2 I know you are right. We need to learn how to make the healthy choices and not expect the band to do it for us through starvation. I had such a bad night last night. As soon as I would doze off to sleep I'd have a coughing spasm because relazing caused liquid to come up and effected my lungs. This in turn triggered off my asthma. This happened 3 times.

Dear NM Sunshine,

I just joined this website yesterday. I'm not happy to hear what you're going through, but I am happy to hear I'm not the only one. I haven't gone back yet and read the previous pages, but have a few questions.

I had my surgery on April 11. I had my first fill on May 24. I had very little restriction, so had a second fill on July 21. Right away I could tell a big difference. About two days after my second fill, I would wake up at night with liquid in my mouth. I also would have a coughing fit. After two weeks of this, I started coughing during the day. I have a history of pneumonia and bronchitis so I went to the doctor. I had bacterial pneumonia and severe bronchitis.

I did not get an unfill, because the doctor I use is a 4 hour drive. It's slowly improved, but I wish I had just driven back for an unfill. All that being said, please make sure to take care of yourself. Yesterday I went back to the doctor for a check-up, the pneumonia and bronchitis are gone but the cough remains during the day. It's a dry cough and I can control it with cough drops, so I know I will be better soon. I still have a bit of Fluid in my lungs, but that is also clearing up.

Since my doctor is so far away, she recommended using Prilosec (spelling?) for 14 days. She said this will help relieve some of what was coming back up. Obviously it's not the best answer and takes a few days to kick in, but it did reduce the amount of fluid in my mouth when I woke up.

Sorry if this is too much information. I really feel for you, since I also have asthma and realize how uncomfortable and scary it is. Good luck!

NM Sunshine,

It sounds like you need to get a slight unfill. You will feel so much better. If you are waking up like that at night, you should consider the unfill so you don't cause more stress on your body. I believe that is why my immune system has been so affected. I could not eat like I should and I had a lot of trouble. Now I am doing so good, eating, and even losing weight better. I eat 5-6 small meals a day and I am loving it.

Dear NM Sunshine,

I just joined this website yesterday. I'm not happy to hear what you're going through, but I am happy to hear I'm not the only one. I haven't gone back yet and read the previous pages, but have a few questions.

quote]

Cubs Girl, Thank you for your story and help. I am really sorry to hear about what you went through. I am aware that if we asperate (stuff from our stomach comes up) when sleeping it can get into our lungs and cause pneumonia. I have been real worried about that. I am taking Prilosec and have been for about a week.

I began to wonder if the problem has to do with laying down like we do when we sleep. Last night I sleep propped up and put lots of pillows on the side of me so I wouldn't roll over and be flat on bed. It worked. I did not have any trouble with Water coming up.

Yeserday I had decided to go on pure liquid diet and drink very slow and very little at a time. I did well all day. My hope is that the problem is stomach swelling from all the irratation. I figure if I give my stomach several days to settle down the swelling will go away and with that the problem. If this does not work then I am going in for an unfill.

NM Sunshine,

It sounds like you need to get a slight unfill. You will feel so much better. If you are waking up like that at night, you should consider the unfill so you don't cause more stress on your body. I believe that is why my immune system has been so affected. I could not eat like I should and I had a lot of trouble. Now I am doing so good, eating, and even losing weight better. I eat 5-6 small meals a day and I am loving it.

I had to go to a new doc in Montana because I'm up here from New Mexico and just too expensive to fly down for fill. This new doc only does his fills on Monday and Tuesday. I have 5 days to attempt to heal myself. I can call doc on Monday and they will get me in right away. That is what I will do if this doesn't change a lot by them.

true2 and cubs

Just wanted to let you all to know that my stomach situation has improved tremendously today. I was actually able to eat 1/2 hamburger tonight and no PB's. I think sleeping in partial sitting position did the trick for me.

thanks for the web site-very informative and helpful. i am going for my 2nd fill next week so hopefully i will get that full feeling.i was banded 06/20/2008 and have lost 40 along with biking every morning and making good choices but i still feel hungry most of the time. thanks again...irish

thanks for the web site-very informative and helpful. i am going for my 2nd fill next week so hopefully i will get that full feeling.i was banded 06/20/2008 and have lost 40 along with biking every morning and making good choices but i still feel hungry most of the time. thanks again...irish

You'll find that hunger greatly reduced after a fill or two. That's when you reach your 'sweet spot'. Then you must train yourself not to eat when your not hungry and not to overeat when hungry. Good Luck

Praise the Lord!!! I am so glad to hear you are doing better. I hated it when I had to have some fill taken out, but I am glad I am doing better. I probably won't get a re-fill for a while.

NMSunshine: I am very glad to hear that you are doing better.:smile2:

Praise the Lord!!! I am so glad to hear you are doing better. I hated it when I had to have some fill taken out, but I am glad I am doing better. I probably won't get a re-fill for a while.
NMSunshine: I am very glad to hear that you are doing better.:bored:

Thanks bunches.:smile2: I still do great all day and have some problems at night. But as long as I sleep propped up for first hour or so all is great. It's those meds I have to take before bed.

Also someone said that she had this problem and her doc told her not to eat after 6:00pm. I'm doing that. I think that there is really something to that for all you that are PBing in sleep.

Call the bariatric center at Abington Hospital or Einstein Hospital. Temple University also has a good bariatric center. Good luck!