Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Knowing when to stop eating?

I've had a stricture most of the time I've had the sleeve which caused me to throw up almost any solid food I ate. I've only been able to eat solids for about a month, so I'm just getting to know my sleeve.

I'm having trouble knowing when I've eaten enough to get full but not get sick. When I eat too much I get brutal nausea and I want to avoid this at all costs, but I also don't want to walk away from a good meal only to be hungry in 30 minutes.

Are there any tips for recognizing fullness you could give me? Should I carry around a measuring cup? Getting full with the sleeve doesn't feel the same as getting full pre-sleeve.

My sleeve has been cooperative and starts me off with a small hiccup when I am nearing being full. If I choose to ignore that (not wise), the hiccups get stronger and my nose gets stuffed. I have learned the hard way that going beyond that takes me to the danger zone with lots of pain and nausea. After much trail and error, I learned that as soon as the hiccups start, I stop. Once that happened a few times I started being able to eyeball about how much I can eat. Good luck!

You shouldn't have to carry around a measuring cup, but DO weigh and measure your food when you are at home. That way you can get used to what the proper amount looks like and do a better job of eye-balling it ahead of time. What I did in my early days of solid food whenever I was eating out was ask for a to go box at the very beginning, look at my meal when it was first brought to me, estimate what I could safely eat, then put the rest in the to go box right away. That kept me from mindless eating more than I really could before I realized it.

If you want to just eyeball when you don't have access to measuring stuff, good ol' Weight Watchers has always had their guides to measurements using your hands. Since you aren't in wieght loss mode anymore, they may come in handy when you just want to measure your portions and don't have access to the actual tools. Because lets face it, who wants to carry around measuring cups, scales and spoons?? Anyway, I'm suggesting measuring everything so you don't risk over eating and getting sick!

235898d4aa3ce2470af41c773372d52a.jpg

Handy-Guide.jpg

tips for recognizing fullness

@@bellabloom

soooo sorry you dealt with a stricture (10 months!!! :()

i hope your problems are behind you

it was emphasized to me that i MUST measure all my food

when you/me measure your food ie a cup - that's all you should put on your plate

eat - very slow

when i/you eat slowly you probably will feel full earlier, then stop sooner

your new litte tummy "should" make you feel like you have eaten enough

if you are even feeling the teensiest (word??)LOL full - then STOP

if you don't stop before you ate too much - oh oh!!

don't feel like you have to eat the quantity you are allowed (ie 1 cup)

you can and should stop earlier if you are starting to feel satisfied

there's an expression on the board "just because you can doesn't mean you should" (eat too much")

my docs "expression" "eat til i'm full, and stop two bites earlier" LOL

analogy - one guy asks another on the bus "what stop should I get off at"??

guy says "watch where i get off, and get off two stops earlier" :lol:

(old silly joke??)LOL

continue to feel and stay healthy

you've been through enough!!!

good luck bud

kathy

@@Babbs

thanx for your "handy" measuring tips

any time you need a helping "hand" give me a call

now giving you a big "hand" for all your terrific advice!!! applause, applause !!! ;)

(i can't help myself) LOL

kathy

I've had a stricture most of the time I've had the sleeve which caused me to throw up almost any solid food I ate. I've only been able to eat solids for about a month, so I'm just getting to know my sleeve.

I'm having trouble knowing when I've eaten enough to get full but not get sick. When I eat too much I get brutal nausea and I want to avoid this at all costs, but I also don't want to walk away from a good meal only to be hungry in 30 minutes.

Are there any tips for recognizing fullness you could give me? Should I carry around a measuring cup? Getting full with the sleeve doesn't feel the same as getting full pre-sleeve.

I've also had a stricture since my sleeve surgery. I am 2.5 years out and still vomit several times a week. I have my "feeding" days and "non-feeding" days. Some days I can eat 1/2 a cup or so, some days I can't.

I am now officially a grazer. I eat 1/4 cup, wait for awhile, eat 1/4 cup. I am rarely hungry 30 minutes later, but if I am, I eat cheese, almonds, avocado -- something low carb and high fat. The fat and flavor keep me satisfied.

I am able to eyeball my food and know my portion size after years (decades, really) of Weight Watchers. I can eat a little more if it is less dense Protein like light fish or crab, but something heavier likechicken, turkey and beef 2oz is my max.

If my nose starts to run, I am full. One more bite and I will vomit. If I feel that I've pushed it, I walk the stairs. I usually stick with 8-10 little bites (think less than a teaspoon) and stop. I don't like feeling full any more. It DOES feel different and it is no longer comforting.

I hiccup towards the end of being full too. I just don't do it all the time. I get a knot in my throat if I have ate one too many bites. sweating and flushing follows, I would use the hand measuring that @@Babbs sent and aim for just under so you want over due it. good luck!

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of asking for a to go box right off. It will also help alleviate the urge to "clean my plate" if I can out most of it aside from the get go. Because if I try and clean my plate I am going to be sick for sure!!

The nose running and hiccuping thing also happens to me. I need to pay more attention to that.

The weight watchers portions sure brought me back!! Those are good. They were impossible for me to follow pre- surgery but now are a great tool, thanks Babbs !

I SHOULD stop right before I think I should. Sometimes I don't, bad habits, and I'm sorry later. But my signs of fulness are runny nose, burping and yes, just feeling full. Sometimes in trying to get in enough food for the day, which can be a struggle on some days, I try to eat extra bites. But it's not a good idea. So, I too have become a grazer. It's the only way I'm able to eat enough calories any given day. Even then I have yet to reach my recommended maintenance daily calories.

Hiccups, or sneezing. But the BIG indicator is when I've taken that ONE bite, and my tummy gives me a warning of NOT ANOTHER BITE OR YOU WILL VOMIT. That is one indicator I pay attention to, and so far (knock on wood) I have not vomited at all. I can't explain that feeling, but when you have that feeling, you know it. I am 6 months post op.

I've found that different foods fill me up faster than others. I recently tried some beef in the slow cooker and could only handle two bites and I felt very full and uncomfortable. chicken and fish I can eat more of. So it's been a lot of trial and error depending on the food for me. I bought some 3oz cups and use those to help me with my portions

I don't hiccup or sneeze, but I get a distinct gurgling sound/feeling. If I listen for it and pay attention I'm great!