Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the best protein bar?

Hi! Everyone, I'm just started stage 3. Sad to say the past two days I could not stand anymore Protein Shakes so I have only 25 grams of Protein each day, Water and eaten jello!! I'm not very hungry at all. But I know that I need to up my protein intake. So wondering what is the best bar out there??

What can you eat during you stage 3? How many weeks since surgery?

Protein bars can sit very heavy in the stomach and in my program they weren't allowed until basically regular foods.

Do you like seafood? Bake fish will help you get to your Protein goals.

Do you have unflavored Protein powder that you can add to other beverages/foods?

Have you tried Protein drinks that are the consistency of Water? Like Syntrax Nectars? They have flavors like iced tea, lemonade, etc.

Did you try the Isopure Protein drinks? I like them, some people do not. But they are not thick like a shake, more like a gatorade.

I found several Protein Bars that I like. Not sure if they are phase 3 safe, but they are:

Power Crunch AND Power Crisp Protein Energy Bar, both vanilla and chocolate Mint are great. Pure Protein makes a good chocolate Peanut Butter one. I didn't start on bars till around 6 weeks though. And only as an occasional snack or before a workout.

Up until very recently, Quest Bars were the favorite around here. But they recently changed one of their main ingredients and *some* people have difficulty digesting them now (me included). I just switched to Combat Crunch. I was like you and switched from Protein Shakes to bars the MINUTE I was allowed to eat solid foods. I'll warn you though, that was at 40 days post-op for me and it took me close to an hour to eat a whole bar. They are very dense and heavy and a lot to handle that early out. Not long though before I was able to get a whole bar down in a matter of minutes.

PS: You should be able to get more than 25 grams of Protein in even without shakes or bars. What are you typically eating in terms of real food?

Phase 3 for me allowed soft scrambled eggs. That was my savior. I would scramble 2 every morning with a little cheese. That was a good source of Protein, along with cottage cheese and pureed clam chowder.

Phase 3 for me allowed soft scrambled eggs. That was my savior. I would scramble 2 every morning with a little cheese. That was a good source of Protein, along with cottage cheese and pureed clam chowder.

You could eat TWO eggs that early out? I could barely manage one scrambled egg over the course of 30-40 minutes. But I did have them often. I liked to put a little shredded Mexican cheese blend and some taco sauce on mine. Yum!

I am not sure if it's a good thing, or a bad thing, but I have had an easy time post op. Never had a food that disagreed with me, anything I used to like, I still like and even tolerate things I didn't before. I do tend to eat too quickly still. Because of that, I sit down to only a small amount of food so that if I lose track of eating slowly, I don't over eat. Most of the time I only ate about 1 1/2 worth. After a couple of weeks doing that almost everyday, I would still only eat about 1 1/2 worth, but added fresh fruit or turkey sausage as well.

I got Pure Protein bars at costco, and I am not a fan! Yuck! I just got them to keep in my diaper bag, for if I'm in a pinch, but I think I'm going to return them.

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

Edited by ttdish

Did you try the Isopure Protein drinks? I like them, some people do not. But they are not thick like a shake, more like a gatorade.

I found several Protein Bars that I like. Not sure if they are phase 3 safe, but they are:

Power Crunch AND Power Crisp Protein Energy Bar, both vanilla and chocolate Mint are great. Pure Protein makes a good chocolate Peanut Butter one. I didn't start on bars till around 6 weeks though. And only as an occasional snack or before a workout.

I tried the pure protein chocolate Peanut Butter one today and it has a weird taste to me... I'll keep looking for one with a good amount of protein and a good taste.

I like ThinkThin

I tried the pure protein chocolate Peanut Butter one today and it has a weird taste to me... I'll keep looking for one with a good amount of protein and a good taste.

I am so sorry. I had made a mistake on that one. Its actually a Premier Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter one I like. I bought one of the Pure Protein ones and I realized it was the wrong one. I havent eaten it yet. Sorry.

So I purchased I fee Protein (water) drinks. My first was cocotein fruit punch! It was ok tasting. I split the 16oz in two servings and it help me increase my protein intake the last two days. Then today I purchased four other flavors. I already do not like the original Cocotein it is very sweet! Tomorrow I will try another flavor.