Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any bad experiences ? by not taking vitamins/protein drink

I didn't take my Vitamins or eat my Protein for months. Really, ever. They made me super sick. I tried many different kinds. I couldn't eat much of anything and protien was very difficult to get down.

I have a Vitamin b1 deficiency and I have lost some muscle. Everything else is okay so far. It's been almost a year.

As I eat more meat I don't worry so much about Protein but Vitamins are still an issue. I've begun taking Flinstones and I can tolerate them. I'm trying to work up to adult vitamins. It's very difficult for me.

Unless you have a real reason why your not taking them, you really should be. I literally couldn't, I would just throw them up. If it's just you forgetting, try to set up a better system to remember. It's not a habit you want to get into!

The fact that the OP hasn't responded to the thread speaks volumes.

It is absolutely disgusting to read of the ignorance that is posted, over and over again. Patients who either have no clue.....or those who are pushing the limits so soon after surgery.

I don't get it.

Ignorance and stupidity. At least those that are ignorant to the proper way to eat post-op can possibly be coached up and brought around to engaging in healthy behaviors.

The stupidity.....that is another story. People doing boneheaded stuff that they know is unsafe.

It is freaking sad.

Not everyone slacks off on their Vitamins just because they don't care. I couldn't and still can't tolerate them- they make me horribly nauseated and I throw up over and over after taking them. I can't tell you how many times I've been pulled over on the side of the road on my way to work vomiting from a Vitamin I took.

And Protein shakes gave me the runs after a while. Diarrhea galore.

So for someone already struggling to get enough food and Water, puking and diarrhea just weren't going to fly.

I tried liquid Vitamins, gummies, swallowing them.... They all make me sick. Flinstones is so far the only kind. I'm trying to get as much Vitamin from my food as possible by eating a wide variety of vegetables and fruits.

I even have have sympathy for the op. It's hard to get used to this new regime. It sucks to have to take medication every day. Hopefully they will find ways to make it easier and keep up with it.

I take mine at night that really seems to help me. I was like you would vomit them all up. Well even the smell would make me sick before even chewing them. For some crazy reason my husband told me to try them at night after I had eaten through out the day. Lol he was so right... You know it kills me to say he was right. Lol ????????????????

Ah ... self care. That's what the vast majority of obese people don't know how to do.

Here's some hard truth coming at you here re the obese and their ability to care well for themselves. Everyone else and everything else seems more important to the obese than taking GOOD care of themselves. Pre-WLS most of us:

* Didn't take our Vitamins

* Didn't even take all our Rx meds on time or as much as we should have

* Didn't exercise

* Certainly didn't eat nutritiously or the right amount

* Didn't brush our teeth every day, much less twice a day

* Minimized the most basic daily grooming chores

If you were an obese person who did care for yourself pre-op in all these (and other ways), then you're the exception.

I was not an exception. I look back now on how pitiful my own self-care was pre-WLS, and I see so clearly that I gave my pets better care than I gave myself.

Yes, being a responsible self-carer is a new experience for many WLS patients. But it is a necessary change for long-term success.

That means you PUT YOURSELF FIRST. That means before the pets. Before the kids. Before the spouse. Before the boss. Before the clients. Before the house, the car, the yard, the laundry.

You have to become Number One. It takes so little time, but it requires a huge change in thinking.

Mostly, it requires that you learn to respect yourself.

Ah ... self care. That's what the vast majority of obese people don't know how to do.

Here's some hard truth coming at you here re the obese and their ability to care well for themselves. Everyone else and everything else seems more important to the obese than taking GOOD care of themselves. Pre-WLS most of us:

* Didn't exercise

If you were an obese person who did care for yourself pre-op in all these (and other ways), then you're the exception.

I was not an exception. I look back now on how pitiful my own self-care was pre-WLS, and I see so clearly that I gave my pets better care than I gave myself.

Yes, being a responsible self-carer is a new experience for many WLS patients. But it is a necessary change for long-term success.

That means you PUT YOURSELF FIRST. That means before the pets. Before the kids. Before the spouse. Before the boss. Before the clients. Before the house, the car, the yard, the laundry.

You have to become Number One. It takes so little time, but it requires a huge change in thinking.

you are so right.... I had to learn to love me and care for me first. I can't care for nobody else until I'm cared for first.

The fact that the OP hasn't responded to the thread speaks volumes.

It is absolutely disgusting to read of the ignorance that is posted, over and over again. Patients who either have no clue.....or those who are pushing the limits so soon after surgery.

I don't get it.

Ignorance and stupidity. At least those that are ignorant to the proper way to eat post-op can possibly be coached up and brought around to engaging in healthy behaviors.

The stupidity.....that is another story. People doing boneheaded stuff that they know is unsafe.

It is freaking sad.

Not everyone slacks off on their Vitamins just because they don't care. I couldn't and still can't tolerate them- they make me horribly nauseated and I throw up over and over after taking them. I can't tell you how many times I've been pulled over on the side of the road on my way to work vomiting from a Vitamin I took.

And Protein shakes gave me the runs after a while. Diarrhea galore.

So for someone already struggling to get enough food and Water, puking and diarrhea just weren't going to fly.

I tried liquid vitamins, gummies, swallowing them.... They all make me sick. Flinstones is so far the only kind. I'm trying to get as much Vitamin from my food as possible by eating a wide variety of vegetables and fruits.

I even have have sympathy for the op. It's hard to get used to this new regime. It sucks to have to take medication every day. Hopefully they will find ways to make it easier and keep up with it.

Point taken.

Most of these type posts, however, appear to be from folks who are simply unwilling to put forth the effort...not that their body is rejecting Vitamins.< /p>

If I had all the answers then I'd not have just gone through bariatric surgery myself.

I just get frustrated when I see people proceed as if they don't have a clue. Was there no pre-op education at all ? Did they sleep through the classes ?

Sorry, but it's an inexcusable scenario that allows someone to have significant body altering surgery but yet not demonstrating having basic instruction or coaching on the matter prior to having the surgery.

Have you tried the Vitamin patch?

No. There's a patch??

* Didn't exercise

NAILED IT!

I think a lot of us are probably tempted to not drink our Water or take our yucky Vitamins, I certainly am. To combat this I think of things on a point system. In order to get the most out of this surgery you want one hundred percent, or why go through it? You want it to last, to have a great life! So every day, ideally should be 100%. I give myself 50% just for getting the surgery. The other 50% is up to me. Don't drink my water lose 10%. Don't take my vitamins lose 10%. Don't exercise another 10%, eat something clearly bad, bam, another ten percent. What am I left with at the end of the day? Feeling great at 100%, that's a great day. 80%? I'll do better tomorrow. But when you go day after day under a hundred percent, you won't get 100% out of it. So everyday, shoot for 100%!

No. There's a patch? ?

I'm pretty shocked none of your doctors told you about this option when you weren't able to keep your Vitamins down!

I think some of these responses have been a bit exagerated.

What I think/believe is that the more compliant you are with the guidelines, the more likely you are to have long term success and good health.

I went through a bad spell on Vitamins. They made me sick and I was already on the lower end of what looks/feels good on me. I am past all that, but i still take gummy vitamins because #1 I will actually take them (as opposed to horrible huge pills) and #2 I am far enough out that I can eat a pretty healthy diet in portions large enough to get nutrition and #3 my Protein drinks have a pretty good spectrum of Vitamins too. I am still taking vitimins and Protein Drinks though and I think they help me maintain good health.

My previous primary care doc said something to me that reasonated. She said the problem with WLS patients is you don't realize how vulnerable you are. You get malmourished, deficient etc and the "road back to health" is difficult and made harder by the reduced capabilities of stomach/digestive system. Her point was it is just alot better to avoid those problems as it is often hard to correct them later... harder than it is for people who haven't had WLS.

I gotta say that this just ticks me off at the surgeons. How many surgeons are out there doing these countless surgeries without counseling their patients about how very serious this stuff is? I just do NOT get it. You have been given a gift. There are so many that have to struggle to get to the point of surgery - especially financially. You got yours. Don't screw it up. Take your Vitamins. Find a way to get in Protein whether by shakes or food. But find a way. Are there serious consequences? Yes. My aunt died. I think about her every single time that I want to go off program. I am doing this for her and in spite of her at the same time. Find a therapist. Talk to your NUT. Get serious about this or you will end up malnourished, back to your original weight and with 90% less of your stomach.

It's not just the surgeons. Very frequently, it's the individual. You can counsel someone for 6 months about what to do/not to do, but ultimately it's that person's responsibility to comply and take care of his/herself. Some surgeons just do surgery and leave all the vitamins/protein/water talk to a nutritionist. But no matter who is dispensing the info, it's up to the patient to see it all through.

No. There's a patch? ?

I'm pretty shocked none of your doctors told you about this option when you weren't able to keep your Vitamins down!

My doctor says it doesn't have the appropriate levels for a bariatric patient. However, she only does bands, RNY, and band/sleeve-to-RNY revisions, so perhaps that advice was specific to RNY. I dont have any problems with tolerating taste or texture in my vitamins. At this point in my journey, I'm able to tolerate small capsules. The only vitamins I have to take that have any taste are my chewable Calcium and chocolate chewable Iron.