Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks after surgery and I can eat anything

I had my RNY surgery 3 weeks ago and I can eat anything I want nothing makes me sick and I am starving all the time. I feel like totally normal I still watch my diet but i still can only eat about 4 or 5 ounces of food. It

Scares me bc I want and need to lose weight, does anyone else have this problem or have you heard of anyone else like me???

I've not had a problem eating anything either, and I'm 12 weeks out. It's great. Zero complications! Give it some more time and keep following the rules. The weight will start coming off and you'll begin to learn your body again. It took me awhile to differentiate between real hunger and head hunger. It gets better though, and the restriction becomes more noticeable as time goes on. You've got to allow yourself adequate time to heal.

Keep busy and distract yourself from thoughts of food. Walk as much as you can, or whatever exercise you enjoy.

It's too soon to panic. You've got this. Best of luck!

First of all you should follow exactly what they say you can eat .I am 2 and 1/2 months out and still cannot have beef or pork yet . I can only eat 3 oz of some things and 2 of denser foods like chicken and turkey .Make sure you are taking 20 to 30 min to eat and chew each bite very slow and well.As far as hunger all the time its head hunger drink more Water eat at least 3 meals and 2 shakes . That should help..

I too have been able to anything since the beginning. It is very very important that you realize that just because you, does not mean that you should.

Follow your surgeons plan to a tee giving your tummy time to heal. Also you know what you have to do so you need to actually do it. Many times people will go back to eating the same junk they once ate and then wonder why they are not losing weight.

Good luck to you!

I'm 9 mo's out and still can't eat beef or pork. I can do fish/mainly Salmon and chicken. I can't do breads, pizza or pastas. They call come back up so don't even try.

Thank you I have still been following the diet but as u all know it's hard. I walk and clean house when I get really hungry. But hearing that others have the same problems helps so much thank you for replying :)

The essential elements of the program are meeting the daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

In the beginning when you are in the full liquid or pureed stage, you may sense hunger. Some call it head hunger. You body is programmed to chew. There is a strong desire to chew. Most of this will disappear when you reach the solid stage.

Just follow the requirements of the program to the letter and let the magic happen.

I don't know how RNY differs, but after I had my sleeve many of us misinterpreted extra stomach acid as hunger. Once I doubled my PPI, it went away. BUT, since you had a different surgery you might want to check with your surgeon to see if this is OK.

Also agree that just because you can, doesn't mean you should! If you are having trouble with eating smaller portions, talking to a therapist who is knowledgable about weight and food issues is invaluable. I couldn't have been as successful as I am without therapy!

My mother used to tell me "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

I would call my surgeon.. At this point, your stomach isn't even healed yet.

I don't know how RNY differs, but after I had my sleeve many of us misinterpreted extra stomach acid as hunger. Once I doubled my PPI, it went away. BUT, since you had a different surgery you might want to check with your surgeon to see if this is OK.

Also agree that just because you can, doesn't mean you should! If you are having trouble with eating smaller portions, talking to a therapist who is knowledgable about weight and food issues is invaluable. I couldn't have been as successful as I am without therapy!

I had RNY and had hunger pangs a few days post op, but was never satisfied, no matter what I did. I was getting enough fluids and Protein, so I took my GERD medication (that I haven't been on since summer) along with the prescribed Nexium I was given post op, thinking it was probably an acid issue. That seemed to do the trick. I only had that problem one day where it was pretty bad.