Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for cheaper protein bars

I wonder if there are any more reasonably priced Protein Bars than the ones I'm finding for $3-$5 and up? Besides Amazon Prime and other online retailers, I shop @ costco Trader Joes, Wal-Mart & Whole Foods. Any better values out there? Thanks!

You could find one of the recipes on YouTube and make your own. That may save you some money,

I completely agree with what @@Elode said. Quest Protein bars used to be my go-to because they were the BEST, but since they changed the formula, they're terrible. Making your own will allow you to tweak the recipes around for your palate, plus save you a boatload of moolah. Good luck...I know this is important. Google "homemade protein bars" to get lots of ideas.

The "Good Eats" guy does a show devoted to making Protein bars. They are pretty good and easy to make. This particular episode is on one of the seasons featured on Netflix.

I picked up a couple Premier Protein bars on Friday for a camping trip. It was my first camping trip since surgery and I was worried about getting enough protein/nutrition in the woods. I took one on our 3 1/2 hour hike and it was perfect. It kept me sustained and I had enough energy to keep up with the cub scouts!

The problem is the cheaper ones are more likely to be little more than glorified candy bars. I agree with @@Elode and others, if you want to save then make your own. The recipes are usually pretty simple; Protein Powder, nut butter as a binder, then whatever else you want to add in; rolled oats, cooked & cooled quinoa, dried fruit, etc... Just make sure you use an online recipe calculator to figure out the nutritional breakdown.

I just went to The Vitamin Shoppe and they have a huge section of clearance bars for $1.50 and under. They are ones that are nearing their expiration date. I have found many with calories around 200 and Protein of 20g. Sometimes they taste like cardboard, other times they are delicious. I started doing this to try and find bars that I liked, but now I just do it because I am cheap.

I do want to try making my own, but I need to get the wife on board first.

I completely agree with what @@Elode said. Quest Protein bars used to be my go-to because they were the BEST, but since they changed the formula, they're terrible. Making your own will allow you to tweak the recipes around for your palate, plus save you a boatload of moolah. Good luck...I know this is important. Google "homemade Protein bars" to get lots of ideas.

Wow.

I was unaware they had made changes other than adding new flavors.

How long ago was this ?

I completely agree with what @@Elode said. Quest Protein bars used to be my go-to because they were the BEST, but since they changed the formula, they're terrible. Making your own will allow you to tweak the recipes around for your palate, plus save you a boatload of moolah. Good luck...I know this is important. Google "homemade Protein bars" to get lots of ideas.

Wow.

How long ago was this ?

@Dub... They used to use isomalto-oligosaccharide for Fiber, but they've switched to soluble corn Fiber. The taste has changed and they're reportedly giving lots of people horrible gas...as in, "OMG, what's that smell??!...along with loose stools. :( I'm totally bummed. I LOVED Quest bars.

Wow.

How long ago was this ?

Fairly recently. Here's the post talking about the changes and the side effects it causes in some.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Topics

• Most popular:

• Recent Status Updates

• SabrinaGoddess

I hate these Lovenox shots.  That is all! LOL
      Feeling like a pin cushion.
      I know they are needed and it's only 10 days worth but I really hate giving myself shots. It's one of the reasons I want to be healthy because diabetes runs in my family

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

Yas, I am HOME! Traveling back home was interesting but I made it.
      For the first time in my flying life we had NO drink service due to the turbulence! It was crazy. I had to call the steward to bring me water. You CAN NOT let yourself get behind on drinking! That would be dangerous.
      My new blog post is up! https://sabrinagoddess.com/day-3-4-post-op-doc-visit

· 0 replies
    • SabrinaGoddess

I am OFFICIALLY SLEEVED! (surgery was Dec 9th, 2019)
      It was an easy procedure for me and I am not having complications. If you want to see part one of my journey go here: https://sabrinagoddess.com/life-on-the-other-side-post-op-wls
      I will be making new posts during this whole process!

· 5 replies
      1. GreenTealael

💚CONGRATULATIONS💚

2. Billy Bob

Glad you survived . lol

3. SabrinaGoddess

@billybob I am thriving and breathing! That's a blessing!

4. BayougirlMrsS

yeahhhhhh we are only 3 months apart on the sleeve journey. I found it has been way easier to lose with the sleeve than it was with the band...... although i loved my band. Sleeve was the easiest SX i ever had too.....

5. SabrinaGoddess

@bayougirlmrss I was told this is the fastest weight loss surgery, but I am not really looking for extremely fast. I want it to be healthy. This is our new tool and we can use it wisely for sure. Are you taking your biotin and vitamins?

• SabrinaGoddess

TOMORROW IS MY DAY! (note this did not post properly so I am still  posting it after the fact)
      I am so very excited! My sister is here with me and my son. I am so excited. My anesthesiologist called me tonight to discuss our plans for tomorrow. I am not feeling nervous at all. Just excited for the future!
      I did buy a few bottles of CFpreop which is really suppose to help you stay hydrated. It's pricey but I feel it's worth it. I tried the Watermelon tonight. I have to stop all liquids after midnight and I go into the hospital at 5:30am for check in. My surgery is at 8am.
      SO HAPPY for this journey!
      You can get the CFpreop on Amazon if anyone is interested. It comes in Watermelon and White Grape.
      Read my night before thoughts on: www.SabrinaGoddess.com

· 0 replies
    • Arabesque

Today I said I’m an XS or size 8 (Aust) at a clothing store. I never thought I’d say those words and say them with confidence. And when I commented a dress was too big on me I was told it was the smallest size. As was the belt I wanted. 

I tried on a slim fitting singlet dress yesterday & was shocked to realise the lumpy bits on the dress were my hip bones. I have an hour glass shape so I always had hips but never ones that stuck out on the front of my body! 

I’ve been a size 10 before - for about 5 minutes. While I am now confident about saying I’m an 8, clothes shopping is all still a bit freaky for me. It’s not that I’m focussed on the size on the label. I’m well aware the cut/line of the clothes and the designer’s style will dictate what size I need or if it will suit my body shape. The size is the starting point & it’s starting at an 8/XS/38 which is a big mind set change. It’s thinking a pair of pants will be too small & discovering they are almost too big. 

While I’m still coming to terms with my actual new body shape and size, I’m very happy to be in this new reality. 

· 4 replies
      1. ms.sss

Yay!!

2. ms.sss

...ah! I see you are from Brisbane! We lived there for a year when Mr. got a work contract there.

I have fond (and not-so-fond, lol) memories of the weather there this time of year. It it crazy hot yet?

3. Arabesque

Hit 42degress last weekend but this week has been in the rather pleasant low 30s (relatively of course😜). Could still wear jeans but thank goodness for air conditioning. Worse is the drought. Everything is dying or dead. Very sad & depressing.

4. ms.sss

I feel ya.

• Trending Topics

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs