Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Oct. 20th... that's Tuesday!

New to the site and forums, new to the healthy lifestyle! It's hard to believe that surgery will be next week. I am an emotional rollercoaster right now.

Me too. I'm on October 27. My mood is all over the place. And I'm already getting sick of liquid diet.

Same here Monday morning is not coming fast enough. I am new to this forum thing. I would like to meet some people to share with..

Monday is the day for me too. We can do this!

Welcome to the site, and best wishes for your surgery tomorrow!

How did the surgery go?

Thank you so much the surgery went very well I am now home. The pain I got myself ready for really wasn't there. I became sore after surgery but not pain like I expected it to be in the belly area.

So good to hear it all went well.

Excellent. Keep us posted on your progress.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I kind of went off the grid the day before surgery just to help keep my focus. The procedure went well save for a small freak out (thank you anesthesia!) in the recovery room. I, of course, have no recollection of the events but my wife said there was no way I was in as much pain as I was screaming to be in. Doc said sometimes if we go in with a preconceived notion of the pain our brains trick us into thinking we're hurting when we aren't. I had to be sedated until the anesthesia wore off. Fun!

The procedure went flawless and the liver that my surgeon was worried about was "perfect" once he got a look inside. My main issue with lingering pain is in the gas. I haven't been able to pass gas or had a bowel movement since the morning of the surgery. Everyone says this is normal in some cases and should pick up in a few days. I've had to rely on belching alone to start clearing the air out. Man, does that hurt. Incision sites are tender but not really painful unless I cough or sneeze.

Other than that, I'm actually home and working from my home office. So far, so good!

Oh! And Isopure from GNC - counts towards hydration and Protein intake. Can't recommend it enough. Although I can't stand mango now. Used to be one of my favorite flavors and no it tastes like vomit. :-(

Thanks. You are helping with many of my fears. I'm getting more peaceful about 10/27.

Day 4 report - I am almost pain free! I have two incisions that are still quite painful, burn horribly when I move but the others (4, for a total of 6) are a-ok. Still a bit soreness, like a sore muscle after exercise. And coughing/sneezing. Holy cow does that ring my bell. And, to top things off, I finally was able to pass gas. I don't think my wife has -ever- celebrated me doing that but this time even she was cheering.

Ever since that first little eek! that slipped out it has been quite steady and the gas pressure in my gut is all but gone. It still comes in bubbles if I accidentally swallow too fast or too much. My nausea is non-existent now and I ALMOST feel back to normal... well, as my new normal? I actually finished a 14 oz Protein shake today - day 1 of full liquids. Took me 3.5 hours but I did it!

Jello and Water for lunch, oh boy!

Cream of something Soup (2oz) and Protein power infused, sugar free butterscotch pudding (1oz) for dinner on the menu tonight.

Water, water and more water throughout the day.

Walking. I am now walking 15 minutes around the block 2x per day with a 5 minute walk around the house in-between.

Two big changes that are noticeable now. I kind of had my doubts about major taste-bud changes so quickly after surgery. Well, I can tell you it's true!! Mango and chocolate flavored things are off the menu. One tastes like vomit and the other tastes like dirt. Yuck!

Hang in there! If this big ol' baby (wife's words, not mine! ;) ) can handle it, so can you!

Hi. I had mine in the 16th. Just wondering if you have reached a full feeling and what it felt like. Tonight I was eating Soup and I guess over did it because I got a gassy pain at the top of my stomach. I assume this is my full feeling but not sure.

It's not like before, I can tell you that. The gassy pain, for me, means I've ate too big a bite or swallowed air with the bite. At this point I have absolutely zero hunger and I never really have a feeling of emptiness or fullness. I eat on a schedule and follow the plan that the surgeon provided. By following the clock I'm making sure to meet my Protein requirements. The one I'm struggling with is all the Water. 64oz is almost impossible for me to hit. After talking with the office, at this stage they recommended counting 64oz of "fluid" a day. Water, Isopure drinks, Protein shakes - they all count as Fluid at this point. My max meal right now is 3oz - usually 2oz of a broth or cream Soup and 1oz of sugar-free Jello or sugar-free pudding. I drink Protein Shakes between meals - 4oz at a time over a two hour period, rotating sips of water after every ounce.

Kind of a bit more information than you needed, but hope it helps!

It does help! Thx so much. I am going to try and get myself on more of a schedule. And I as well am having difficulty with the Water. I do what I can tolerate.

Edited by donna70