Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really bad anxiety about eating

Im 4 weeks in and due to sickness i totally by passed the puree stage and now in terrified of eating anything or stomaching a protien shake. I am weak and nauseous but my brain is scared of eating..i need help please. ..what can i do..i dread drinking liquids this has really become a chore. Some days id rather be back to the old me

Have you talked to your doctor? You have to get nourishment so it's either try purees and soft foods or drink shakes. If your anxiety was due to a bad bout of acid and you have addressed that, then you may need something for anxiety. Call your doctor ASAP. Otherwise you'll end up back in the hospital which will only prolong your healing and feeling better.

I do understand the fear factor, it is scary. You do have to push yourself past it and it does get better! Chew chew chew, drink slowly. I remember the days of trying to get ONE bottle of Water down was work - just one sip at a time.

Good luck, you are not crazy.

I have anxiety medicine. .its not helping im still a nervous wreck all the doc saod wss increase

Anxiety is not unusual. I was freaking out when I left the pureed stage and onto solids about six weeks ago. My nutritionist gave me a list of foods and amounts I should eat, and I couldn't tolerate the foods nor the amounts. I started trying to force myself to eat the food and amounts and I felt horrible. My wife finally stopped me and made me re-evaluate what I was doing. She made me realize that the nutritionist had provided me guidelines, but every one of us is different. I started going at my own pace and focused on Protein and Water. That meant that some days I couldn't get in anything but my lean Proteins and Water. It took some adjusting but I learned my pace.

Your stomach and your whole system is still adjusting - that takes a while. Don't push yourself and just try to get in the Protein and water you need. Over time, everyone on this site with a lot more experience tells us that we will adjust. I am finding that it is true. Good luck and just keep going one day at a time. It's worth it!

I have anxiety medicine. .its not helping im still a nervous wreck all the doc saod wss increase

Increase food intake or increase the meds? If the meds aren't working then call your doctor back. You have to nourish your body but you work up Protein and Fluid goals. Set small bench marks for yourself. Your only goal should be to not get dehydrated. If that means sipping all day then just take a sip once every 10 minutes. However I would address the anxiety first. A large part of being successful with this is mental. Get the anxiety under control so you can deal.

Anxiety is not unusual. I was freaking out when I left the pureed stage and onto solids about six weeks ago. My nutritionist gave me a list of foods and amounts I should eat, and I couldn't tolerate the foods nor the amounts. I started trying to force myself to eat the food and amounts and I felt horrible. My wife finally stopped me and made me re-evaluate what I was doing. She made me realize that the nutritionist had provided me guidelines, but every one of us is different. I started going at my own pace and focused on Protein and Water. That meant that some days I couldn't get in anything but my lean Proteins and Water. It took some adjusting but I learned my pace.

Your stomach and your whole system is still adjusting - that takes a while. Don't push yourself and just try to get in the Protein and water you need. Over time, everyone on this site with a lot more experience tells us that we will adjust. I am finding that it is true. Good luck and just keep going one day at a time. It's worth it!

Thats what i need a game plan, this is really hard i will have to find a way