Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone heard of Dr. Francisco Gonzalez in TJ?

Hi all,

After reading this post, I decided to call Dr. Gonzalez and I am really glad I did. I talked to Dr. Valenzuela for 35 minutes and he put me at ease. I had a fear of having anything done in Mexico and after reading this thread and also talking with a doctor, I feel much better about the prospect of surgery in Mexico. I live in Pennsylvania so it is a great distance for me to travel for fills. He assured me that he would research and try to find a fill doctor closer to home for me and that also pleased me greatly. I would not mind going there for fills but I guess when you consider the price of plane tickets, it would probably be cheaper for me to go to a doctor at home. I would really like to talk to someone about there experience from the beginning. I am in the process of looking into financing and hopefully I can be scheduled soon. I am thankful that I found this website - it has been a wealth of information and I am anxious to talk to someone in greater detail. So if someone could PM me I would love to chat.

By the way, Gigi....are you the Gigi on the website? If so, you look GREAT!!:clap2:

Sheila

I just today scheduled surgery with Dr G in Tijuana. I'm ready to drop some of this weight at last. Is it realistic to expect I may lose up to 20 # the first month and 10 # each month thereafter?:)

Hi Annieet,

When are you scheduled for your surgery? I guess what you lose can vary depending on how much you have to lose to begin with. I have read people saying that people with a lower BMI do not lose as fast as people with a higher BMI. I cannot say from experienc because I have not had the banding done yet. I plan to go to Dr. Gonzalez as well and I am anxious to hear how you do, so please post back when you have it done or you can even PM me. Good Luck!!

Sheila

Hi chubbyone, B A, hotmomma, Gigi, Rose, lap-bandit and everyone on this little corner of LBT. How are you all? It's been a great week for me, I keep losing and adapting to my band. I'll be asking you stuff Gigi I hope you don't mind but you are kind of like our in house pro. Janet if you read this please PM me, I haven't heard from you in a while. Congrats to Annieet and all future bandidas (similar nic to lap-bandit's), it takes a little bit of everything to take the plunge guts, determination and the desire to stick around and someday see our grandkids! I started some of the recipies on the book dr. Gonzalez gave me and even though the food doesn't LOOK very appealing (mushy) it's really quite tasty. I'm getting used to it, any pros out there that can give me suggestions on making this stuff look a little more like food? I guess I just have to wait till I can have more solids, oh well it's not as bad as it sounds. Gotta go guys! Lets keep losing weight! Love to all Christine

Hi Lab Bandit,

When do you think you will be going for the lap band.Im in Va and have been doing all my research to.My ins dont cover so I will be self paying so will take me little time to get the money together.Thought maybe if we keep in touch we might be able to make the journey together.Im also

considering using Dr. G

Jenny

Hi Jenny-

I would love to keep in touch. My insurance will not pay for mine either. I am a lower BMI, so that is the main reason, but I can not even honestly say that they would pay for it even if I wasn't. I didn't even bother checking because the insurance companies are the ones that make the guidelines for BMI's and I know through researching this a couple years ago that it is hard to get it paid for, let alone with a lower BMI. So when I came across different doctors that were offering the procedure to people with lower BMI's I decided to investigate further. I am so glad I did. How about e-mailing me at brown-eyed-sheila@peoplepc.com and we can chat more. It is nice to hear from somebody on the east coast. I am also in the process of getting the money to finance this.

Sheila

Hopefully you can join our little group of lap-bandidas that can proudly say doctor G is my doctor. Theres a nice guy at Reliance, his name is Mike they are excellent with loans and their interest is doable, I had checked into them when I began. PM me and I'll give you his email. How have you been lap-bandit (love your nic!!)??You know if you do get your lap band with doctor Gonzalez, can we borrow your nic and call ourselves the lap-bandidas? (I think this means female lap bandits someone correct me if I'm wrong) Chubbyone is from back east also and I think shes going to doctor G oh never mind shes from Chicago. Well I'm sure more of doctor G's patients will surface, i get PMs from old and new patients everyday! On my diet (:-) Laura called me today asking me about my diet and I told her I was struggling a little 8-(.....but I'm hanging on..I can do it i can do it!..ok, I got my LBT fix, back to work see you all later!

Hi All,

I just received an e-mail from Dr. Valenzuela about a fill doctor. He was checking on one for me that was 60 minutes from me. I was excited because for where I live, that is a very convenient drive. This doctor will not accept you if you are a long time resident of PA, he will only take you if you have recently moved to the Pennsylvania. I was like WHAT????? I am sure that it has to do with people going to Mexico and getting the lap-banding done and not having it done locally, but if that is the reason, I am not sure why he would feels that way, because he only accepts patients with insurance and will not take self-pay patients, therefore, that makes people whose insurance will not cover the procedure look elsewhere. My friend had this doctor for her gastric bypass and just loves him. I am kind of bummed about it, but I am hoping Dr V. will find another one that is close to home. I will not have the procedure until I have a follow-up doctor, because it will be difficult for me to go back to Mexico for fills. I was told that my insurance should cover me if I have any complications... can anybody verify that? I hope I don't have to worry about that, but you never know. I do have another question about the stay down in TJ. Christine: Did you stay in the hotel or in the hospital the whole time?

It really sucks with those backward policies US doctors are adopting!!! Is it our fault insurance companies are so greedy and that US doctors' policies reflect their resentment for losing patinets to capable Mexican doctors. Why can't they just accept the situation which will be eventually be beneficial for all US doctors? Sooner or later more ins co's will begin accepting lap band procedures, (once they see the numbers in their favor) and the doctors in the US that are doing adjustments on ALL patients will benefit even more. It sucks! But don't give up lap bandit Dr. V will find someone for you, he's persistent. About the hotel I stayed at the Grand but I´ve heard from other patients that the Camino Real is really nice. I was admitted the following morning and it worked out pretty good. I read a little and sort of psyched myself up for the surgery, Laura called me that first night and asked me if I wanted to go siteseeing but I passed, I just wanted to relax. She said it sometimes help distract you but I didn't feel I needed it.Don´t give up lap bandit, I´ll try and do a little networking and try to help. Love to all present and future bandidos!

Hey Lap Bandit & Christine.

Thats what Im also looking for here in Va is someone to do my fills.

Christine,

Did you go by yourself?If not does whomever go with you get to stay with you at the hotel and hospital?For the same price?Like if your in the hospital will they have a room?Im scared to head there by myself but if I dont have anyone to go with me looks like I will be.

Jenny

Hello everyone! Here I am, two days after surgery and I feel good. Surgery went great, I want to thank Dr. Gonzalez for his care and understanding, he was great I just don't have enough words for this doctor. The nurses, Carmen, Janet, Giselle you guys were fantastic, I couldn't help but get emotional when I left, I'm sorry!

And of course Laura I would have been lost without you! I would open my eyes and I would see Laura, Dr. Gonzalez or Dr. Valenzuela, pampering me, wow! No experience in the U.S. would have prepared me for this level of human care. The surgery went great, I woke up and wasn't sure I had gone into surgery, but when I felt my dressings I said, yep, the band is in there!

A little pain here and there and I guess the gas, I had read about it but boy, you sure get gas! through the roof and through the basement! I've lost about 16 pounds since the beginning of my liquid diet prior to the surgery.

I'm a little behind on my errands guys, so I'll keep you posted!

If any one out there needs references on Dr. Gonzalez and his team, I'm your gal. They are without a doubt, the greatest.

Hello Everyone! I'm very new to this forum, but decieded to join today since I have a surgery day! I have read a ton of post and every question that has come to my mind has been answered here. So thank you for that. I'm going to T.J. as well to have my surgery, and I have a question. Christine yng talked about her doctor and nurses and it sounds just like my doctor, but his name is Carlos Gonzales de Cosio. Are you all talking about the same guy. I'm sure all of your Gonzalezes are great, I'm just wondering if I'm reading experiences from my docter or someone elses. I hope this wasn't a silly question.

It is a silly question if you consider the fact that Chris, the little "lap-bandida" has throughout her posts clearly said (and signed) Doctor FRANCISCO GONZALEZ. Lets not get mixed up here, when they made my doctor G, they broke the mold!

On another frequency, Hey to all!!!! GIGI!!!!! where are you girl????

Our super pro and mentor has not been seen and has not answered my emails!

Get with the program girl! Do I have to come visit you or what?

I'mmmmmmm lovinnnnnn it!

Hi Everyone!!

I was just lap-banded by Dr. Gonzalez July 23, 2007, it will be 2 weeks tomorrow!! I am so happy with Dr. Gonzalez and his team! I would definitely recommend them to anyone. I felt like they were very sincere regarding my care and well being.

The day before my surgery I met with Dr. Gonzalez, he went over the whole procedure, showed me a band, was very patient and answered all my questions, so I went to bed that evening very content. The next day I was nervous, I will admit....the whole staff is so easy going and assured me everything would be o.k.......the next thing I knew I woke up and was wondering when I was going to have surgery.....I had already been!!! The nurses were great, making sure I was well hydrated (best I can after surgery and the next day), making sure I was comfortable and always checking in on me. If there was anything that I could say could be improved was the fact some nurses did not know english well....but I have to say they did know all the important words....Pain, Jello, shower, etc.!! And would always take care of me!!

The most important part is coming home and healing properly and I have, my incisions, my pain, etc. have all gotten so much better since surgery 2 weeks ago. I even woke up on my "port" side last night.....big improvement.

If I had to do it all over again I would not even hesitate to go to Dr. Gonzalez. His team and his skills are wonderful! Especially Dr. Valenzuela and Laura.....they explain everything.....100 times if you need it!!

One other thing, I went alone to Tijuana, and Laura picked me up from the airport and brought me to the hotel which is located right in the same complex....you do not even have to go outside to get to Dr. Gonzalez's office. I felt very safe! When I went home, Laura brought me back to the airport. I am actually glad that I went alone, I was really able to rest and recuperate before I went home to my hubby and 3 boys! You definitely need that.

If anyone has any question just let me know! By the way...I was 275 (time of surgery) and now I am 259.......it's working!!

Thanks for all the info,all you guys have been super helpful!

thank you Chris I got it and it was just right!

I called Laura and I'm on for the 20th. YES! Dr. Gonzalez IS the man!

You know that doctor Valenzuela sure is a cool customer! the patience he had wit me, we spoke for more than an hour!

HOTMOMMA GONNA BE HOTTER!!!Ill give you all the details!!!!

its my birthday, its my birthday,yea ahuh, yea ahuh...........