Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 months out from VSG and so disappointed in myself! HELP!

Renkoss - this is my biggest nightmare too. Well not entirely but close. I do buy the popcorn - and admit to being a bit addicted to it at this point. But I do NOT buy chocolate. Its at my office. They have bowls and bowls of it filled up all day long right in front of my desk (no not able to move it).

I have appointments with my nurse and nutritionist on Thursday. I haven't seen my nutritionist since surgery and I think it will help if I make a few appointments with her over the next few months and weigh in, etc. A little accountability would be good for me.

I wish there was a support group I could go to - she might know of one. But I know the group through my doc's office meets at a time when I'm at work or at school. I'm also hoping to join a gym this week. So I know that I need to be a bit more kind to myself but its tough. I wanted to really make this major life change - and I have changed many things - but it is scary how easy it is to fall back into old habits and eat poorly again.

Gabrielle2014, I understand your frustration. I have given up many foods already, so that part should not be too hard. My fear is the grazing part. When I'm bored, or frustrated, or emotional, or stressed....I eat. I keep mostly healthy foods in the house, but I can overdo healthy too. You do need to be more kind to yourself, and I know how hard that can be. Isn't there a saying that goes we are our own worst enemies? I'm sure there is a support group somewhere near you. You just need to get motivated and find one, and also to get yourself moving.

You have started your really big change in your life; just continue. You are worth it. Keep telling yourself that as well. You are worth it!

You are definitely not alone. I am 19 months out and only down 70 lbs and I could just kick myself. I am grazing and eating junk that I KNOW IS NOT good for me. While I am pleased with how far I've come I know I could do better. I could use a buddy too and some ways to get back on track. I am fasting with my church for 21 days and have given up candy; that is my go to especially in the afternoons at work. Hubby doesn't help when he sits in bed at night with all of this snack foods. It's not all of his fault I need to say no to the hand LOL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about going back on the shakes for a week like prior to surgey and hope that jump starts me. I continually have a bloated belly and am hoping that my pouch hasn't stretched to much.

Feeling hopeless.

I feel like dag; so many have lost the same amount as me in less than 6 months and it's discouraging to say the least. I have been walking but not consistantly. My goal is to walk 3 times a week even if it's only on the treadmill. I walk around a lot at work so that helps some.

I think you have done amazing. Your body had to recover from the weight loss surgery and then from a heart attack AND you still lost weight!!!

It does get harder as you have less to lose. Sometimes when I have had a week of eating poorly or feel old habits creep in, I do a day or two of liquids/shakes to help reset then a few days of Protein only. That seems to help me with the cravings.

Also, sometimes it takes a while for your body to start losing again. I was at 155 for months on end- I was happy there so didn't stress out. Then over the course of two weeks I dropped ten pounds. The human body is a mystery. LOL

You can get back on track. It sounds like you are a survivor!! Good luck

this grabbed my attention as i am pre surgery and i fear not getting to goal in the first year i know i can do it but when i am bored or exausted my first instinct is to grab some Cookies or chips from my nephews Snacks they live with us right now. i know i need to stop and get back on my nuts plan

You are definitely not alone. I am 19 months out and only down 70 lbs and I could just kick myself. I am grazing and eating junk that I KNOW IS NOT good for me. While I am pleased with how far I've come I know I could do better. I could use a buddy too and some ways to get back on track. I am fasting with my church for 21 days and have given up candy; that is my go to especially in the afternoons at work. Hubby doesn't help when he sits in bed at night with all of this snack foods. It's not all of his fault I need to say no to the hand LOL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about going back on the shakes for a week like prior to surgey and hope that jump starts me. I continually have a bloated belly and am hoping that my pouch hasn't stretched to much.

Feeling hopeless.

I know church is important, but fasting isn't really good for us.. Unless its just fasting from certain items. You need to keep your blood sugar on an even keel, and going too long without food can actually not be great for your body.. it could be causing you to snack, or feel more hungry than usual.

Bloated belly could be several things.. sugar.. wheat.. dairy..

Edited by Chrystee

@Chrysteehey there. Definitely not fasting food in general but candy! That is my go too even when I'm bored. Most times I'm not hungry at all. I definitely need to drink more Water and exercise more. I feel like I'm eating to much too so watching portions is key. I should just keep it to a few spoons full.

@@Chrystee never thought about bloating being dairy, wheat and or sugar. Hubby is gluten free. Maybe I should look into doing that. My problem is that I work full-time; just finished part-time school and I have 5 kids and a husband. No time to really cook or prepare meals.

It's pretty easy to eat low carb/dairy free. I have a hectic life style and usually manage it well

Edited by Chrystee

Bloating is usually caused by sugar, dairy, wheat. I would go very low carb for about a few weeks and see how that feels with your bloating issues. Also it could be a build up of gas in your system. Try using things like Gas-X, or increase exercise like walking. That will definitely help work any built up gas in your system work its way out of your system.

As far as not eating candy, you really shouldn't be eating that anyway. So fasting from candy should not be difficult for you. Also, don't have that stuff available to eat; if you don't buy it for home, then you cannot eat it at home. If other people at work have it out, then stay away from those areas for a bit. Why would you go through all this to lose weight and be healthy to sabotage yourself? You need to have the willpower and the strength to stay away from what is bad for you and only eat clean and healthy. Just make up your mind that you never want to return to all the old bad habits because if you do, you will end up in the same place. This is not an easy fix; and this is your life now.

I have not even been scheduled for surgery yet, and I still have a ways to go with the appointments and such, but I'm learning so much by reading other people's experiences. Your story is encouraging, but you are allowing yourself to slip back into what led you here. You must convince yourself that you are worth so much more. I don't know what that would be for you. My motivation at this point is to improve my diabetes, and be around long enough to see my daughters get married and have babies. I want to be an active Grandma in the future. I don't want to be sick and bedridden and a burden on others. I'm 53 and have so much more living to do!