Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking at ThredUp right now and it actually seems pretty promising!

Looking at ThredUp right now and it actually seems pretty promising!

Here's a referral link. If you use it I get $20 and so do you.

I think I might try to sell my clothes on ThredUp. I have a lot of clothes and almost all of them are new, purchased in the past 12-18 months and only worn 5 or less times. I have a lot of expensive jeans someone will appreciate. I will definitely use the referral link.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

PM me for a free $20 at thred up! I love them and have gotten credit for lots of my clothes I've sent in. Have to be solid brands and in really good shape though.

Goodwill is totally hit or miss but as you go down in size it's more hits. 8-12 especially, then it gets hit or miss again. Ross TJ Maxx Burlington Coat factory are good.

Get a dress clip (or a mitten clip) and you can take in dresses and blouses at the back with it and wear them for longer. Leggings and Maxi skirts.

When?? When my clothes started falling off!!! I used belts, rubber bands around the belt loops & button, even safety pins.... whatever it took. I finally went to Goodwill when we were going on vacation & none of my pants stayed up. I bought a few staples (black capris, gray pants) and then got maxi skirts. I have found that the skirts can be folded over at the side seam & pulled in for quite a while before it is noticeable ... then I had someone take them in & I am still wearing them. I have lost 91 lbs. in about 8 months (5 months are post-op) and have gone from a size 26/28 to a 16, but I have spent only about $100 total on clothes since surgery. I get creative, but I also know when something is just too big it is time to bite the bullet and buy something. Keep going back to the consignment shops every week or so ... I usually find one or two things that work. Good luck!

I am 8 weeks out and bought a couple of new things today. We have a outlet mall close to my house, so I shopped the clearance rack. I actually has a NSV today and was able to buy clothes that were not from any plus size stores. I was so excited. $80.00 later, I have 2 new pairs of jeans, 4 new shirts and a couple of pair of underwear. I know these will all be too big in a month, but my husband and I have a long weekend get away next weekend. I wanted to look good since we are seeing friends that we haven't seen in years.

I didn't read all the responses but would you consider having a couple of your pants tailored down? Also I agree on consignment stores. That's going to be my go to.

​Shirts you can pull off different sizes for a while, but I have to have pants and they seem to be changing faster. I found one pair of jeans I like at Avenue, and when 1 size gets too big, I order the next 2 smaller sizes. When those get too big, repeat. Same with a pair of dress pants from Lane Bryant.

I have been wearing a lot of smaller dresses but easy for me to do in summer in Texas. I can pull that off a little longer, but will be tougher as we get in to winter I suppose.

If you haven't done so already, check out Poshmark.com. People sell their used clothes for less and you can even sort by brand (including Old Navy). You can pick up pants for $15 to $20, so maybe that will help you.

I hated shopping for clothes at my high weight. I would have 2-3 pairs of pants from Walmart, a single pair of jeans from old navy, and maybe 10 shirts. I would wear the pants until I wore out the thighs and then replace the one pair. As a result, I don't have a lot of clothes, but I plan to maintain this system while losing. Once I am at a size/weight that I feel comfortable shopping for clothes, in my mind this is a size 12, I will likely go crazy and need a bigger closet.

I haven't been sleeved yet, but when I have lost the weight in the past I bought a few new staples when it actually became annoying to wear my clothes (due to them being so big, belts etc).

I would buy cardigans, tights and I agree with dresses too, belts work when they get a bit too big. :)

I haven't bought much, to be honest. I'm a few days away from being a year out from my HW (when I started losing) and I'm just over 9 months out from surgery.

Thankfully I know a couple of ladies who have lost weight and periodically have given me some clothes. Pants,, shirts. etc. I've bought a couple pairs of pajamas in smaller sizes, a couple swimsuits, paid a small amount (basically shipping costs) for another WLS friend to send me a handful of items, and my sister in law bought me a couple of shirts about 4 months after surgery. Without her generosity and the hand-me-downs I've received, I would be lost.

The biggest purchase I've made so far is work pants. I started at a very tight-fitting size 34 pant. I lost 70 lbs prior to surgery, and not long (maybe a couple months?) after surgery I ended up buying 5 pairs of 24 pants in the same style/brand I was used to wearing. They were a favorite when I was at my highest weight and they are stretchy ponte pants (from woman within) and I knew they had "room to grow" -- well "ROOM TO SHRINK" haha. I couldn't fit them at that point, but they were on sale and I picked 24 a bit arbitrarily. I am in a 24 now and so a little while ago I started wearing them -- and I'm kind of wishing I picked a 22 instead. But these will easily last me for the next few sizes at the minimum. If you need pants, I definitely recommend checking out the woman within stretchy ponte pants.

I am embarrassed to admit I still wear some of my bigger tops and pants on occasion. But I've gotten rid of most of them, especially the pants. I kept a few "emergency" pieces, but they (the pants) are probably going in the dumpster (they are in no condition to be handed down to anyone) very soon. Possibly even this week.

Funny story, I was wearing some of my old clothes on a Lowe's run recently. I just moved and needed to pick up some hardware, and I had never shopped in that store before and didn't know any of the associates or anything. The woman checking me out looked at me and (very nicely) asked me if I've lost weight. I told her yes and couldn't help but asking, "how did you know??" and she said. "Well, your clothes don't fit!" Haha. DEFINITELY time to start replacing things. But I'm still so far from goal and am still losing pretty steadily so I'm not sure I want to invest a ton of money. And I totally agree that it's STILL really hard to find plus size clothes at consignment shops and good will. Even after all the weight I've lost it's basically pointless! Might have to see if I can pick up some relatively cheap items at Walmart, just to get me by! (At least I've got my pants!!)

Edited by heynowkc

I didn't start buying "new" clothes until a couple of my co-worker friends started telling me, "Lisa, it's time to go shopping" which was after I'd lost about 45-55 lbs. It takes about 15-20 lbs. for me to lose a size. I did buy 2 pairs of new slacks, but bought several tops at a consignment shop a friend had told me about instead of buying everything new; especially since I didn't expect to be in my newer size for a long time. Based on my previous experience with losing a lot of weight, my top sizes tend not to change a whole lot, but my slack sizes do because of my hips. Go consignment shopping, or buy slightly used clothing instead of spending a lot of money on brand new clothes.

Now it's time for me to really start cleaning out my closet and drawers. :)

I scoured the internet for the best prices and bought some basic items at each size - especially work/professional clothes. I bought two/three pairs of pants and a few shirts at every size. I am down 4 pants sizes in two months and every time I switch to the correct size I get lots of "wow, you lost so much weight comments!)

I suggest you go to goodwill or a consignment shop. You'll keep losing weight and probably don't want to spend too much now because your sizes will keep changing :)