Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else feeling emotional?

Hey everyone. I am technically two and a half weeks post-op. I am feeling extremely emotional. I notice that I am irritable above all else, but also feel like I just want to cry. I have an IUD and haven't really PMSed for over a year, but this feels a lot like when I did. However, I wasn't ever this emotional even when going through that time of month. I'm just so confused. Do any of you feel overly-emotional? If so, how do you deal with your emotions? Any tips or tricks for keeping positive and not letting the emotions get to me? Thanks guys!

I am two weeks post op and still have issues with my emotions being all over the place. This morning as I arrived home from taking my daughter to school, I saw this women walk by with a Starbucks cup and a McDonald's bag. She was thin, attractive and well dressed. For whatever reason that angered me. It made me feel so stupid for not having self control in the first place.

"Why couldn't I have lost weight on my own?!"

"Why did I have to go so extreme to be healthy?!"

"Why did I do this to myself?!"

I cried and snotted and looked like a total mess as I walked to my front door.

Then it dawned on me as I caught my reflection in the hallway mirror that I have lost a total of 30 pounds (14 before surgery and 16 after), everyday my clothes are getting bigger and I am feeling stronger, healthier and more confident.

I may never have my favorite Starbucks drink or my crappy McD's Breakfast sandwich but I'll have a ton of replacements for the foods I ones I once clung to like a toddler with a pacifier.

I have been all over the place with my emotions. Some days I feel just fine, like *almost* nothing has changed and other days I feel sad, disconnected and overwhelmed. I believe what we are experiencing is normal and the best way I have found to get over it, is to distract myself. I go for a walk, I call a friend, I look up recipes to use for later down the road, I cruise Pinterest looking for outfit ideas when I get down to a certain size.

Obviously when I am at work it isn't as bad or when I am in school I don't have any issues. But late at night or on days off, yeah I feel how you feel.

Sounds like your hormones may be getting back into their usual grove for the first time in who knows how long. I started my period for the second time this mo 5 days after surgery, so I know my hormones are going screwy.

I hear you, I saw the Pope on TV today and started bawling!! It is a grieving of sorts. Knowing that you absolutely can not have certain foods we are grieving this process, I think that this a good thing for us in the long run. Hang in there I know it will get better!!

You've been thru major surgery on top of coming to grips with a complete lifestyle change and a shift in hormones. Cut yourself some slack...YES you're going to be emotional!!!

The good news is you're going to see some major positive changes very soon and that should make the entire emotional roller coaster much easier to ride. At least for me, once I was seeing some NSV's happen in my life, it made the grieving process much easier.

Good Luck. You got this!!!

@@kmc0812 I have cried more these past 3 post-op weeks than I think I ever have in my life. Aside from starting my period literally two days after I got home from the hospital, I've been in left-side-pain HELL since I got home. While my pain is getting better, it still hurts like nobody's business!!

Because of this pain, I have been frustrated and I have been down and at times, regretful and all I've done is cried because of it. There is nothing I hate more than feeling like I'm not putting in my share around the house, or able to help my kids get dressed for school (I try!)..I hate feeling helpless!!

But in the grand scheme of things, this is just a bump in my road to a new life. As soon as this pain is gone and I'm able to excercise and be myself, IT'S ON!!!

I have said it before, and I know it can be hard to believe, but all of this will be worth it in the end!! I promise!!

I think there are several things happening here and they are all normal.

First, you just had major surgery! Your body is healing, you probably have some pain, some thoughts about why did you do this, etc. I'm sure some of it is hormonal and normal post-surgery stuff.

Second, you are making a life change and it's scary!! And it can piss you off every once in a while, too! lol. I miss french fries!!! And that pisses me off. I get pissed off when, once someone hears I am trying to lose weight, they suggest a salad. So now salads piss me off! Totally irrational but that's how I feel (though I DO get salads sometimes but it isn't the only thing I can eat and certainly don't want to eat them all the time).

Third, you are also going through some food withdrawal. Probably sugar withdrawal. It's possible that you (I'm using that in general terms, not necessarily specifically you) used food to comfort yourself, you ate your emotions and now you have to FEEL those emotions. Your body is used to having food to handle emotions and now you don't have that and it feels weird.

And sometimes we get emotional for now reason and that's ok. lol

The good thing is that you are doing great and the more you lose, the stronger you will get.

Best of luck!

My doc says surgery can put the hormones associated with your menstrual cycle out of whack. If it feels like that, it definitely could be.

I know after surgeries our metabolisms are resetting or whatever, and that can cause hormonal changes.

It's also just a lot to deal with! I'm four days post-op and I freaked out crying in the hospital a couple times cause I was overwhelmed and scared (never had surgery before) and cause my skin was itching and burning all over so much I felt I couldn't bear it.

So my whole point is, there are a lot of things to make us emotional that are totally normal. Don't get upset with yourself. Be gentle and patient. Things will get better even if they are really hard right now. Hang in there!

I think there are several things happening here and they are all normal.

First, you just had major surgery! Your body is healing, you probably have some pain, some thoughts about why did you do this, etc. I'm sure some of it is hormonal and normal post-surgery stuff.

Second, you are making a life change and it's scary!! And it can piss you off every once in a while, too! lol. I miss french fries!!! And that pisses me off. I get pissed off when, once someone hears I am trying to lose weight, they suggest a salad. So now salads piss me off! Totally irrational but that's how I feel (though I DO get salads sometimes but it isn't the only thing I can eat and certainly don't want to eat them all the time).

Third, you are also going through some food withdrawal. Probably sugar withdrawal. It's possible that you (I'm using that in general terms, not necessarily specifically you) used food to comfort yourself, you ate your emotions and now you have to FEEL those emotions. Your body is used to having food to handle emotions and now you don't have that and it feels weird.

And sometimes we get emotional for now reason and that's ok. lol

The good thing is that you are doing great and the more you lose, the stronger you will get.

Best of luck!

Omg I love your post! Hating salads made me laugh! I feel that way already about stuff.

Also, nail on the head about withdrawal for sure! I forgot to mention in my post that my blood sugar had been getting low sometimes now after surgery. That can make you emotional too!

Not to mention your body still has a lot of anesthesia drugs it is trying to throw off from the surgery. Those do not help us post op, but they do leave you eventually.

I love the hating salads part too. My favorite is my sister who told me I just needed to go for a walk to lose weight. When I'm 150 overweight. A walk.