Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Damn. Back to clear liquids!

I am a little less than two weeks post surgery. Three days ago I was able to start the pureed stage, hip hip hooray! So I ate some scrambled egg. Check, no problem. tuna salad. Check. Pureed squash. Check. Pureed chicken. Threw it right up.

The chicken happened yesterday at supper. Couldn't eat anything more all night. So this morning, I decided to try a Protein Shake. Threw it right up.

Called the bariatric nurse at my Surgeon's office. She told me I need to go back on clear fluids to "reset" my pouch, then tomorrow full liquids, and then the next day I can go back to pureed, with no chicken for a while.

Sigh.

And it still surprises me how little I am able to eat. I can literally only eat about 2 tablespoons of food before I am full, if even that much. Three ounces of yogurt and I am done. How in the world am I supposed to be able to get in my 60-80 grams of Protein a day if I can hardly eat anything? All I can do is have my Protein shake and have that boost my protein.

It's tough but you can do it. I focus on the Protein Shake first thing in the morning and one in the evening. In between Water which I have YET to drink all 64 oz, I'm 6 weeks out. I can do for sure 40-50 but never the full 64. Hell yesterday I only was able to drink 30, but I ate good. It's hard because we can't just chug anymore to get it in. Yes you get very full on so little. Today I had 1/2 cup of pinto Beans, a string cheese and two sugar free popsicles. That's all I really average. The rest of the day I'll focus on more water and my last shake. Maybe lil snack tonight. You'll get your rythem to get all your Protein and liquids in.

Sucks that chicken made you sick. meats are very heavy I've noticed.

Edited by Veronica_mm

I had issues with chicken too when I first started pureed foods 3 weeks ago. I found that pureeing it with greek yogurt or cottage cheese and a little bit of milk fixed the problem. and that also gives you a little bit of variation, while at the same time increasing the Protein. My meal plan calls for 4 oz per meal, three meals a day, protein first, and I don't have too much trouble getting it down usually. Hope this helps. :)

A month out and it sounds like I eating way more than everyone else. I'll have an egg with cheese for Breakfast or half a can of tuna salad for lunch. I'm not measuring things but it's more than a couple bites. Now I'm worried my pouch is too big and I'm eating too much.

A month out and it sounds like I eating way more than everyone else. I'll have an egg with cheese for breakfast or half a can of tuna salad for lunch. I'm not measuring things but it's more than a couple bites. Now I'm worried my pouch is too big and I'm eating too much.

lol don't worry or feel that way. My doctor gave me instructions that were verrrryy strict. At 6 weeks am still supposed to be on PUREE. Little does he know I've eaten more heh heh heh..I've notice a lot of people on here are very different in thier eating. Just depends on the doctor.

I think you are eating what we will get too. Am egg and cheese for breakfast is great and so is the tuna salad. I'll get there. That is not a lot of food. Don't worry : )

Ok well I'm wondering if my doc has me eating too quickly. My surgery was on 9/10I was on pureed food for 1 week. This week is my 2nd and I'm on soft foods. Pretty much anything but fruits, veggies, and fatty. I've eaten eggs, chili, chicken, tuna, cheese. I've even had two chips chewed really well.

Every doctor does have different eating plans. But just because they say to do it doesn't mean you have too. In my case at 19 days post op there is no way I can start purees yet, my body does not feel up to it yet, so listen to your body. My NUT is on board with this and says some can take 4 weeks to get to purees. Also I hear chicken should be the absolute last food to try, some say that canned, like tuna, may be easier. Stick to pureed eggs, tuna, soft fish, Beans, cottage cheese and yogurt.

@@Threetimesacharm Thanks for the advice. I just saw my NUT today, and she said the same thing. She told me that many people have problems with eggs and chicken. I haven't had any problem with eggs, but oh boy the chicken...

Anyway, I've decided no chicken for at least three to four weeks. And my NUT also told me to go back to full liquid diet for 4 more days before trying pureed diet again, since my stomach might not be ready for pureed foods quite yet. She said that my pouch is still probably a bit swollen and sensitive to foods, so the amounts I can eat and the types of food I can accept are going to be limited for a while.

I hear you toastie. I actually am a bit nervous to try a food. I can barely get in my shakes to satisfy my Protein requirement. I don't mind waiting a little longer for food; heck I'll have the rest of my life eat!!

How about trying soft fish? Great source of Protein too!!

I was tolerating tuna salad pretty well, so when I go back to pureed I will eat more of that.

My surgeon mentioned chicken last too (he says no to red meat for three months)

He suggest dark meat when I try to it because it seems a bit easier to add it-- maybe adding it to Soup next time In small pieces?

I am sorry you had a set back! You will be back on the advancing track in no time!

@ccdomaika; I felt the same as you. When I went to my 3 week post op appointment, my doctor and nutritionist told me I could start solid foods but not to go crazy and get a steak and cheeseburger. Since then I've been eating fruits and I'm doing very well with fruits. Tuesday I will be 8 wks post op.

I have been on regular food no seeds,beans or nuts since 3 weeks post op. Haven't really had any problems except one time when I tried to eat a bananna. I thought I was going to die from the pain I my stomach. The Dr's office told me to wait and try again later and said with chicken to eat less and thighs because it's more moist and be sure to remove the skin. Other than that I really haven't had problems except not getting my lunch soon enough after I went back to work, so that made me sick. I had to get a note from the dr. So I could take 1st lunch. All in all doing good at 5 weeks out.