Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do/use to prevent sagging skin while losing weight?

Hiya :)

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions to reduced the possibility for sagging skin after we all lose weight? I was thinking Vitamin E oil or coconut oil....any other ideas?

I'm 21 months out and lost 145 pounds (after 10 months) and have very little sagging skin.

My doctors have attributed this to lots of exercising and drinking 6-8 glasses of Water each day.

Edited by Andrew0929

I'm 21 months out and lost 145 pounds (after 10 months) and have very little sagging skin.

My doctors have attributed this to lots of exercising and drinking 6-8 glasses of Water each day.

Wow! You're amazing! I was thinking resistance training might be the way to go, I've got no energy for that at the moment but I'll up my Water :D

Yoga and weights help build up the muscles to give tone to the skin. Stay out of the sun, tanning beds. Hot Water is not good for the skin, so cooler showers and stay out of hot tubs. Moisturizing seems to help, but there are no "firming" creams that have been shown to help (sorry, but there is no "cream fairy" to the rescue despite all the hype). Protein, Water and pick your parents well, because genetics is the biggest factor.

Yep I moisterize and exercise well. 1 year out and my thighs are a little jiggly, but not crazy saggy. My arm have no sag or jiggle at all. I do acquafit which includes light weight lifting and lots of core work. I also use the kettleball at home. I use coconut oil and baby oil gel to moisturize but that's mire to manage dry skin. I drink 6 - 8 glasses of Water a day and get a minimum of 100 grams of Protein daily.

Previous posters have pretty much covered it. While you can't make any assurances, the key moves are, roughly in order, 1) no crash diets, 2) no extreme weight loss regimens (other than the sleeve itself), 3) lots of Water, 4) get in all of your Protein, 5) resistance training, 6) aerobic training. The younger you are the more likely you are to have your skin adjust to your smaller body.

@@Andrew0929 - Andrew, what age group are you, if you don't mind me asking? Either way - that's great. I'm hoping I have some elasticity left, but I'm 55, so time (exercise and moisturizing from the inside and out) will tell.

I'm also 55 ...

My weekly routine for the past year:

* 2 spin classes

* 2 days running (22 mins) and elliptical (22 mins)

* 2 - 3 days strength training

The claim that one can prevent sagging or excess skin after weight loss is an urban legend. There is no method to prevent sagging and excess skin. The proper thing to do is to own it. We allowed ourselves to get this big and this is the consequence. The good news is that there is a solution to having to go the rest of our lives with sagging and excess skin. That solution is plastic surgery. I will be having a Tummy Tuck and my chest done after I get to goal weight. I would advise those who have already been sleeved to go ahead and start researching plastic surgery options. Most insurance companies will not pay for it unless there is a health condition. So keep in mind that you will likely have to pay for it out of pocket.

Hiya :)

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions to reduced the possibility for sagging skin after we all lose weight? I was thinking Vitamin E oil or coconut oil....any other ideas?

I like Palmer's Cocoa Oil and Cocoa Butter. They have Vitamin E and smell good.

Nothing will really prevent sagging skin, but staying hydrated, eating right, and exercise will all help some.

Wow that's fantastic! I hope to be able

Edited by itstimealready

I'm also 55 ...

My weekly routine for the past year:

* 2 spin classes

* 2 days running (22 mins) and elliptical (22 mins)

* 2 - 3 days strength training

Wow that's fantastic! I hope to be able to do so much more activity like I did back before I was fat!

I'm nearly 52 but I got that good melanin working in my favor.

Yeah those things can help a bit... But a lot is genetics, age and weight history (how long have you been overweight and how much did you yoyo).

I lost 135 and exercise and weight train a ton and do lotions and Vitamins and tons of Water. I have 18% body fat so lots of muscle. I had to have surgery to get rid of excess skin. It shrunk to a point and about six months into maintenance it was done.

Yeah those things can help a bit... But a lot is genetics, age and weight history (how long have you been overweight and how much did you yoyo).

I lost 135 and exercise and weight train a ton and do lotions and Vitamins and tons of Water. I have 18% body fat so lots of muscle. I had to have surgery to get rid of excess skin. It shrunk to a point and about six months into maintenance it was done.

Any suggestions on plastic surgery? I want to start researching that now.